Nataly

Hard drive wiped - what programmes to reinstall?

Bought a laptop (Samsung N150 Plus) in October and long story short, just got it back from the repair guys (it broke down in December!).

I've mucked about so much I can't be asked to deal with them anymore. They've replaced my hard drive and also removed all software - no Microsoft Office, no Windows media player, no adobe anything, nothing. Except it has a starter version of Windows 7 (but I somehow think even this is missing bits of what I had when I bought the computer - I don't know; I'm not a computer geek).

Could someone help me with what programmes I should re-install so I don't miss any?

Thanks.

ETA - Note this is a PC, not a Mac :)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Assuming it's not a mac (not sure which programs are compatible). Here's what I need on every computer I use.

Multimedia Programs

- VLC Player (by far the best media player out there, simple but awesome)

- Winamp

- FLV Player (if one is into downloading videos off youtube with plugins, basically an offline flash file player)

- Virtualdub (awesome video editing and encoding software, really small freeware. Mainly good for converting the compression codec)

- Codec packs (to ensure you can play all media compressions, though VLC player has most built in)

- iTunes (assuming one has an ipod)

Photo Editing

- Adobe Photoshop (doesn't even need an introduction)

- Adobe Lightroom (only for those into photography really)

Internet Related

- Firefox (Internet Explorer is disgusting)

- Flash player and Java plugins for browser

- Any good anti-virus software

- Peer Guardian 2 (for those who want to keep their p2p downloading a bit more secure)

- Bittorrent (can't go without torrents)

Communications Platforms

- Skype (best for work related communication and calls)

- MSN [Windows live] (my favourite for just casual chat with friends)

Essentials

- Microsoft Office

That's typically my bare minimum.

Multimedia Programs

- VLC Player (by far the best media player out there, simple but awesome)

- FLV Player (if one is into downloading videos off youtube with plugins, basically an offline flash file player)

- Codec packs (to ensure you can play all media compressions, though VLC player has most built in)

KMPlayer does all that and more. I've yet to come across a media format it doesn't play off the self. Plus it has shit ton of features I don't think VLC has.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

If you're into free OS, try one of the many flavors of Linux.

I like Linux Mint.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

If you don't want to pay for Microsoft Office, try using Open Office. It has 99% of the features of MS Office, and the files created can still be opened and modified by anyone using MS Office.

I think I've heard about this, but didn't know anyone who tried it... Thanks for the tip-off, I will look into this. :)
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

If you don't want to pay for Microsoft Office, try using Open Office. It has 99% of the features of MS Office, and the files created can still be opened and modified by anyone using MS Office.

I think I've heard about this, but didn't know anyone who tried it... Thanks for the tip-off, I will look into this. :)

I tried Open Office a few years ago to use at home but because I am so used to MS Office became very frustrated figuring out how to do things in Open Office. I finally caved and bought the Student version of Office which had everything I need in Excel and Word.

But, you have nothing to lose by trying it out.:)
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Be careful with OpenOffice. You "can" do everything like in the MS Office, and you "can" open it in MS. In reality, it is not so perfect, otherwise everybody would be using free one. Right?
For example, at my work, network admins are using everything "Open" and "Linux". When I open their Openoffice datasheet table in MS Excel, formatting falls apart. When I open something in Word, the same thing (especially if there are tables embedded in it). In Power Point, presentations lack half of the effects and transitions, and sometimes colors are off too, not to mention transparency issues. [:/]
So if you don`t share files with your coworkers and keep it simple, you could be ok. If you send your files to someone who has MS Office, be prepared.
That is my experience.

ALl in all, ninja administrator gave you a good list. Add Winrar for archiving and splitting/joining files.
dudeist skydiver #42

Ok - thanks for the feedback on Open Office. I reckon once the trial period of MS Office expires I will give it a try... At home, I don't have much use for Excel, so formatting shouldn't be too much of an issue... Word, however, is a little hard to do without - hopefully it will be ok for minor things like updating my CV and whatnot. No fancy diagrams or anything, but a CV doesn't look so good when all the formatting goes pear-shaped...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Visit Download.com (essentials would be GOM player, KMplayer, winamp, opera (web browser), mozilla firefox, FLV player, abode flash, antivirus/antimalware-AVG and malwarebytes)

Open Office is a good word processing program that is free (similar to word)

but...you can also check sites like isohunt.com for programs like word and others you'd otherwise have to buy

but...you can also check sites like isohunt.com for programs like word and others you'd otherwise have to buy

But that would be naughty ......... and illegal, surely you're advocating breaking the law? :P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome