Teigen

Bully ownage!

I say the big guy did well. He (in the video we see at least), didn't do any thing to provoke the fight. He took a punch and what sounded like some teasing. I could not hear it well enough to discern if he said stop.

He did not react or retaliate till attacked again and took it to a level to end it and pursued it no further.

Of course the idiots who stepped in after should have stopped their little moronic friend to begin with.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Either that, or one of the kids' parents (or lawyers [:/]).

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I say the big guy did well. He (in the video we see at least), didn't do any thing to provoke the fight. He took a punch and what sounded like some teasing. I could not hear it well enough to discern if he said stop.

He did not react or retaliate till attacked again and took it to a level to end it and pursued it no further.

And most importantly, he got it on video!:D
So the runt's (probably distorted) account of what happened won't hold water.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Unless, it was one of the runt's buddies who took the video and the runt told him to erase it.
Other than that, looks like the big kid has a good case. I smell... LAWSUIT! :D:D:D

Chuck

Unless, it was one of the runt's buddies who took the video and the runt told him to erase it.
Other than that, looks like the big kid has a good case. I smell... LAWSUIT! :D:D:D

Chuck
Lawsuit is pretty unlikely, That happened in Australia, they would have both been suspended from school though.
Sad that so many find it amusing:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Chuck
Lawsuit is pretty unlikely, That happened in Australia, they would have both been suspended from school though.

Those two would've been suspended here too but we have a lot of folks here in the U.S. who are just looking for a chance to sue.
I thought the bigger kid tried to 'avoid' a confrontration but enough was enough and good for him!

Chuck

It would have been better if the big kid had just turned and walked away. That's what I try to do as an adult (but didn't always do when I was that age.) But seeing as how he's still a kid and learning this stuff, I would cut him some slack. I hope the little kid learned a good lesson about being an idiot.

It would have been better if the big kid had just turned and walked away.

If that had happened, no one would have bothered to post the video, and we wouldn't be talking about it.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Chuck

That's ridiculous.

It's sad that defending oneself can be punished.

It would have been better if the big kid had just turned and walked away. That's what I try to do as an adult (but didn't always do when I was that age.) But seeing as how he's still a kid and learning this stuff, I would cut him some slack. I hope the little kid learned a good lesson about being an idiot.

So, you would just walk away if someone walked up to you and punched you in the face?

What if they punched you in the face daily?

One of the reasons that we have shit heads in our society that act just like this kid was acting is because they get away with it. If more people wouldn't put up with it we'd be better off.

You do have a point.
I was raised in a fundamentalist Christian environment that taught the turn-the-other-cheek philosophy.

What I learned in the real world is that there are people who will walk all over anyone they can,
and will only respect someone who refuses to take it.
There were a few occasions in my teens and twenties where losing my temper and attacking a guy much bigger than myself actually worked to my advantage in that I earned the respect of the bigger guy and had no further problems with him.

So, you would just walk away if someone walked up to you and punched you in the face?

That wasn't much of a punch. That looked like a squirrel picking on a grizzly bear.

What if they punched you in the face daily?

As an adult? They'd be in jail by that point.

One of the reasons that we have shit heads in our society that act just like this kid was acting is because they get away with it. If more people wouldn't put up with it we'd be better off.

I'm at a stage in my life where it would be very expensive for me to punch someone, even if they really deserved it. I have no problem with defending myself. But beating the crap out of someone I really didn't need to would be a problem. One of my coworkers paid about $10,000 a punch settling the civil lawsuit after punching a habitual smartass that was practically asking for it. :S

There were a few occasions in my teens and twenties where losing my temper and attacking a guy much bigger than myself actually worked to my advantage in that I earned the respect of the bigger guy and had no further problems with him.

Teens and twenties, sure. And as we mature we hopefully learn other ways of dealing with conflict. B|

Chuck

That's ridiculous.

It's sad that defending oneself can be punished.

But he took defending himself to a much higher level than needed. Damn near breaking some kid's skull is not necessary, I don't care if he is a bully. Usually a single punch is enough to make a bully (especially one that clearly has little man syndrome) stop. Yes, I understand these guys are probably in middle school, but still.

While the idea of 'walking away' or 'turning the other cheek' is a noble one, it's a dangerous one.

Backing down tends to make one a target, much like in prison where if you don't show dominance you'll get targeted, life is much the same. The lion will go for the injured buck, humans will target those whom they know won't retaliate.

I hate people who provoke fights or start them but I definitely think someone should stand up for themselves and make an example of the other person. I got into a fight when I was a kid, about 15 - got a fist in the face and didn't retaliate, walked away instead and that is still one of my biggest regrets. People need to be shown they can't do whatever they want and get away with it, if everyone backed down bullies would just be more prevalent I think.

"And if a man smite you on one cheek, smash him on the other! Smite him hip and thigh, for self-preservation is the highest law!"