karenmeal

Tattoos/Art

I'm looking for a bit of help here. I'm sure I could dig around online and find the answers to these questions, but the dialogue on here is more entertaining.

Some buddies of mine asked me to design their dream tattoos for them. I've got the concept down and into the computer. Now I am wondering how realistic the designs are for making into a tattoo. I don't have any tattoos myself and don't know much about the process.

If any of you folks can give me some tips I would appreciate it. It would also be nice to have the artistic types give some feedback before any of my friends decide to permanently disfigure their bodies with my art.:PB|

-Karen

Attached are the designs.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

they both are possible to do, but the size may play into these for detail and color fading (as in the color transition in jay's). Next is to pick a tattoo artist that can do a good job on the work, there are alot out there that aren't that great.
make sure that the ones getting the tattoos understand that they are forever and once they have them thats it.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

Nice work. I will suggest greater contrast between elements, especially in the first one (yin-yang). It will show up better on the skin.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

The first one could be small, except the small figure of the guy, which will limit the size. The second, has very gradual color changes, which cannot really be done in Tattoos (to my knowledge) they simple select an ink and do a section. I am sure that some blending is possible, but to the degree of the 2nd picture you have there, I am not sure.
I would recommend looking at lots of tattoos, to get an idea of what is out there. This will help lots in selecting a design that is suitable.
Also note, that there are many different artists out there, some may do fine with you bringing in an exact image of a certain style, others may not. Select an artist that has done work similar to what you want.

Anyways, hope this has helped!

How small is the first one going to be on his body? That small figure in the middle is probably not going to happen in all honesty. It's beautiful art, but the tattoo artist might refuse to do it. My friend's tattoo idea had a small detail similar to that and her artist refused to do it. He knew it would fade out & she wouldn't like it then. He helped her redesign it into something beautiful though that wouldn't fade & blur together. If they do agree to it, it will probably blur out in a few years. Small details like that don't stand the test of time sadly. I suggest taking the designs to the artist they want to do the job and talk to him or her about it. They'll be the best one to know if its possible and if it will work as a tattoo. Hope this helps:)

Both should be doable. Fading colors and very small detail aren't impossible, just difficult.

Find an artist who has done this sort of work in the past. The artists will often specialize in different stuff. One who is great at line detail may or may not be great at color. And vice versa.

Honest ones will be open about their abilities and weak areas, and can often suggest another artist who is better in areas that they are not. Do your homework on the artist before you let them go to work.

Making sure the artist understands what you want and is capable of doing it is the most important step in getting a good tattoo.
Making damned sure that they really, really want it on their body permanently is also important.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo