shah269

How do you bump out of unhappy?

In all seriousness...which won't last more than three posts...how do you bump out of being down.

It's a few weeks till skydiving starts so can't do that.
I've tried the usual meet head "work it out" and it's just not me.
Medication just not for me. Self medication is not my thing.
Friends are ok, but well when you get home....it's death
And yes you can give me the usual line about helping others bla bla..do it, done it, done with it.

You can't live at work and then the rest of your life with the music going to keep the mind out of the dark. Any "viable" suggestions?

Other than sell the house at a $40k loss and leave the burbs and move into the city?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Therapist?

It doesn't work when you yourself have an minor in Psychology.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Therapist?

Lawyers go to other lawyers for representation. Doctors go to other doctors for diagnosis and prescriptions.

Maybe you should follow their example and see someone with a doctorate in psychology. They may have studied a little more than what you did for your minor.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I think it really depends on what you're "unhappy" about.

With some unhappy I think it's perfectly fine to continue to be unhappy for quite awhile. Sometimes the unhappy is just never going to go away. You'll mature and learn to deal with it, but in my opinion the old saw of time healing all wounds is just stupid.

On the other hand, if what is making you "unhappy" is something on the order of a long commute to a job you're unsatisfied with, take a look around and see what everybody else is dealing with.

Let me suggest that if a few simple skydives can make your "unhappy" go away, then you're probably better off than a very large percentage of the population of the planet. Just the fact that a person can afford to skydive at all means he's doing pretty well.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Patient: I have a problem doctor.I feel depressed and worthless.

Doctor: You should cut down on your drinks.

Patient: I don't drink and have never touched a drop in my life.

Doctor: You should cut down on your smoking.

Patient: I don't smoke either doctor.

Doctor: You should cut down on womanizing.

Patient: Good heavens!! Haven't touched a woman in my entire life.

Doctor: Your problem is you have no problems!! Get yourself a drink, learn to smoke, and find a couple of girlfriends and you will be alright.

Generally I'm unhappy in my head. If I get busy with something productive, that helps, especially if I do it well (I thrive on success :P). And it's even better if it's physical (e.g. doing some mending, greasing the bearings in my bike, something like that).

You're busy in general. That makes you want to veg out when you have some free time. Unfortunately, vegging out is probably feeding your unhappiness.

And while I don't have a minor in psychology, I do have a major in sociology, and found a therapist to be quite helpful when I needed to sort some things out. Just as sometimes talking out technical problems helps, even when the other person doesn't actually say anything, talking out personal issues can help. Saying some things out loud, to a real person, is different from saying them out loud to yourself.

And you can't entirely fix it. What you can do is eliminate some of the things that are making you unhappy, and find that the unhappiness might go away enough that your "natural defenses" take over. Kind of like how getting enough sleep can help when you're sick.

Right now, you're looking for something at the moment to help with that going-home-alone-and-it-sucks thing, right? Because being home alone reminds you that you'd rather be there with someone.

Can't fix tonight necessarily. But start to figure out what will make tomorrow night better, and work towards it. You might not get there all the way, but making progress will help.

Shah, I know that what you're feeling is real and sucks. Unfortunately, the fix for it has to come from inside, not outside, which means you have to go looking for the resources to do that. But that's a project, right :P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've learned that the consequences of many lifestyle choices are simply not conducive to true happiness.

There is no quick fix and unfortunately many people have to be broken and hit their bottom before they're willing to humble themselves and give up their stubborn ways.

My faith has allowed me the happiness I've been looking for. I'm not saying things are all rainbows and jelly beans, but I'm able to deal with any challenge from a whole new prespective that I simply didn't have before. To be honest, I feel unstoppable...even when I screw up. It's like I always have outs in this poker game of life.

btw, I admire your willingness to not self medicate...It only makes things worse.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Unfortunately, vegging out is probably feeding your unhappiness.

So true.

Shah. I was put on benzodiazapines for a while. The withdraw was a fucking hell. I was in the fetal position for about almost 2 months wishing I was dead (asshole dr.s). Insomnia for 3-4 days at a time, muscle twitches, buzzing in my brain, hearing shit, nausea, major depression (from the withdraw), ect. All that lasted for about 8 months. I couldnt work, get out of bed, eat, sleep, nothing. I couldnt even do 5+3 in my head without getting confused. Talk about unhappy.

Get a dog. They force you to get up and do something everyday, go outside for walks. They greet you when you come home and happy to see you even if youre in a piss poor mood. And girls, yes Shah, girls love cute dogs! Its how I met my girlfriend of 4 years now.

My dog saved my life when I had none left inside, his name is Seven.......attached picture.

It works for some people. Remember that happiness with oneself is entirely about perception.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

In all seriousness...which won't last more than three posts...how do you bump out of being down.

It's a few weeks till skydiving starts so can't do that.
I've tried the usual meet head "work it out" and it's just not me.
Medication just not for me. Self medication is not my thing.
Friends are ok, but well when you get home....it's death
And yes you can give me the usual line about helping others bla bla..do it, done it, done with it.

You can't live at work and then the rest of your life with the music going to keep the mind out of the dark. Any "viable" suggestions?

Other than sell the house at a $40k loss and leave the burbs and move into the city?

Bridges are cool -
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Get a dog. They force you to get up and do something everyday, go outside for walks. They greet you when you come home and happy to see you even if youre in a piss poor mood. And girls, yes Shah, girls love cute dogs! Its how I met my girlfriend of 4 years now.

My dog saved my life when I had none left inside, his name is Seven.......attached picture.

I vote for the puppy idea. Coming home to a puppy that's excited to see you and just you can make you really happy after a shitty day. Just don't get the dog unless you know you can take care of it.

LOL

always look on the bwight side of life (oh and welease Woger)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Therapist?

Really, well that will disappoint all those Therapists who do actually have therapists as mentors and guidance counsellors.

In all seriousness Egghead, you COULD start by actually TAKING some advice instead of just fishing for it for the sake of rebuking it.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

LOL

always look on the bwight side of life (oh and welease Woger)

LMAO

THIS!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

In all seriousness Egghead, you COULD start by actually TAKING some advice instead of just fishing for it for the sake of rebuking it.

I agree with Squeak (looks around, nope, still warm down there in hell :ph34r:).

Quit whining about your life on an online forum and get out and live it. Change one thing. Stick with that change. Then change another. Repeat as necessary.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I agree with Squeak (looks around, nope, still warm down there in hell :ph34r:).

Quit whining about your life on an online forum and get out and live it. Change one thing. Stick with that change. Then change another. Repeat as necessary.

+1

Are you a runner, or cyclist, or swimmer?
I'm moody as hell, and what keeps my head on straight is
2+ hours of hard aerobic exercise at least 3-4 times/week.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.