Zep

Whats your favourite chainsaw

Over the years I've had a whole range of saws.
I've used them for a load of different things,
from cutting down trees, pruning, and spliting wild boar, pigs and deer,
I've had Sthil's Huskys, Homelite's McCullock's, Johnsered's and a little chinese thing.
The thing is the Sthil and the manky Chinese thing have never let me down,
Over the years I've come to the conclusion that it all in the carb.
The Sthil and manky chinese thing have a Walbro, all the others that fell by the wayside had Zama.

Current saws, Sthil 038 magnum, Husqvarna 141, Manky Chinese thing.

Whats your current Zombie killer?

Ps, the Sthil has a Bing

Gone fishing

It depends. Light work and if I'm trimming up in a tree I like my little poulan. I prefer my dad's older poulan because it seems sturdier, but mine does what I need without issue. Real cutting calls for the stihl-older than dirt and still going strong. I wouldn't give you a dime for a homelite.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

i really liked my little electric one to trim my trees, until it did this to my arm... (not to worry, all healed up :)
warning: could make you ill if you don't like cut up flesh.

i really liked my little electric one to trim my trees, until it did this to my arm... (not to worry, all healed up :)

A mate of mine was in the bucket of the tractor, high as it would go.
He was reaching up taking a branch off an old oak.
Branch came down, saw came down, half his leg came down as well.
Talking about it later he said when the saw hit his leg he did'nt feel a thing.
I'll just take his word for it, I've had a few close calls, now I treat them with respect.

Gone fishing

I'll just take his word for it, I've had a few close calls, now I treat them with respect.

(cringe!) first thing i did was move my fingers, ok, no muscles cut, check, pain was moderate, did not hit the nerve, check, blood oozing, not squirting, no arteries, check. right, now, scream for wife to get the car that head to the ER...where I waited two hours...should have taken a pain killer as I headed out.

I've had Craftsman, Homelite, and Poulon, used a Stihl and have a client who lets me use his 35 year old John Deere regulary. The John Deere out performed everything else, but they only made them for a very little while. HEAVY SOB but starts first pull every time.
I currently own 3 different sizes of Poulon, but would buy a Stihl if I were to replace one of them. I'm lusting over a Poulon extendible saw. It's next!
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

I have a 1959 Mac 1-40, a Echo 280-E and a something I got from Lowe's when the punk at the saw shop did not even go look for a starter cover for the Echo. I bought the Mac in '82 I believe and had the carb cleaned once. Just empty the tank and run it dry every time you put it up. The old guy I got it from used to put one QT 30 wt. motor oil in 2.5 gal of gasoline for a mix. The Mac is an old FS saw with two ports instead of four, they ordered them that way for longevity. I guess it has worked so far. the Echo is a small saw that I used every day for four years as a line clearance tree trimmer. Quite the little beast.

Stihl 011 with 16" bar for light duty stuff. It's loud as hell and with a narrow blade isn't very fast but it's easy and light to limb with. The short bar means more bending over so it doesn't get too much use.

Stihl MS362 with 22" bar. It's a cutting monster. Fast and quiet, starts and runs like a dream in freezing weather. I just cut 30,000 feet of white pine. (Used the Timco feller buncher for most of the smaller diameter stuff) The Stihl was the tool for the big trees that the feller couldn't get all the way through.

Poulan electric with 14" bar. Works great for light pruning, hedge removal, wood structure demolition and shortening that too-long-for-the-woodstove piece of firewood down in the cellar instead of going outside to crank up the gas saw.

jon

You missed the part of the story at the beginning when he handed someone his beer and said “watch this”.

You missed the part of the story at the beginning when he handed someone his beer and said “watch this”.

Actually no, the guy was a top farm hand, worked with farm machineary all day.
It was one of those things that we know we should'nt do but we still do them.
As I said he was in the bucket over reaching and it was the weight of the saw after
it had gone through the branch that caught him out.

His suffering taught me a very important lesson.
Never over reach with a chainsaw.

Gone fishing

As I said he was in the bucket over reaching and it was the weight of the saw after

As someone who has been doing tree work for the last two weekends and is scheduled to grapple with two big oaks this coming weekend I am reading this thread very carefully. I think I’ll carry squirrels photo ( and Amazons from a few years ago) in my pocket. Of course if the chainsaw don’t getcha, the fall will. A guy that was my supervisor years ago was trimming trees around his house one weekend, fell from the ladder, struck his head and died. He left a wife and two small children. All just to trim a tree.

Sometimes I think skydiving is the safest thing I do on weekends.

As someone who has been doing tree work for the last two weekends and is scheduled to grapple with two big oaks this coming weekend I am reading this thread very carefully. I think I’ll carry squirrels photo ( and Amazons from a few years ago) in my pocket. Of course if the chainsaw don’t getcha, the fall will. A guy that was my supervisor years ago was trimming trees around his house one weekend, fell from the ladder, struck his head and died. He left a wife and two small children. All just to trim a tree.

Sometimes I think skydiving is the safest thing I do on weekends.

and i did that with a little 12" electric saw. :o

I really know how to sit on Santa's lap!

I will now interpret your user name entirely different than I used to.

:D:D:D

I have a Stihl 270 (I think, without going into the garage to check) with a 20" bar. Love it. Only wish they made a chain that would last longer on oak....

If you're going to be up in a tree on a ladder or something with a chainsaw, for fucks sake wear a safety harness!
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have a Stihl 270 (I think, without going into the garage to check) with a 20" bar. Love it. Only wish they made a chain that would last longer on oak....

If you're going to be up in a tree on a ladder or something with a chainsaw, for fucks sake wear a safety harness!

It's easier and safer to bring the tree down to my level!

Jump more, post less!

It's easier and safer to bring the tree down to my level!

Yeah it is. I've done that on all the pine trees on my property that have come down, specifically the ones that threaten my house. Only once have I scaled a ladder to cut off a large limb growing sideways off an oak tree, and I was only 5 feet off the ground. That branch was hanging over the garage and I cut it so that it swung outward and crashed to the ground 30 feet away from the garage, and I almost fell off!

I remember my dad cutting a limb off a dogwood tree when I was a kid. He was on a ladder. The limb twisted and nudged the ladder enough to make him fall, right in front of me. He didn't break anything but was sore for days.

Nowadays, I prefer to use my telescoping pruner pole, and if it's out of reach and is a necessity, I call in the pro. He does good work for cheap. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban