iluvtofly

Has anyone had this surgery?

Went in for the follow up of my CT scan this morning and found out that I need to have surgery on my nose/sinuses. Can't remember the technical term for it (my Dr. used about 5 different 10 syllable words for the name) but they're basically going to go in and Roto-Rooter my nose. Does anyone know what the typical time frame is for being able to jump again after this surgery? That is the ONE question I forgot to ask him. My mind was focused mostly on figuring where I was going to find the vacation time for work. Fortunately my boss had the same exact surgery from the same Dr. so she's completely sympathetic to what I'll need after the surgery.

Went in for the follow up of my CT scan this morning and found out that I need to have surgery on my nose/sinuses. Can't remember the technical term for it (my Dr. used about 5 different 10 syllable words for the name) but they're basically going to go in and Roto-Rooter my nose. Does anyone know what the typical time frame is for being able to jump again after this surgery? That is the ONE question I forgot to ask him. My mind was focused mostly on figuring where I was going to find the vacation time for work. Fortunately my boss had the same exact surgery from the same Dr. so she's completely sympathetic to what I'll need after the surgery.

Was one of the words adenoidectomy??

If so, I've had it but I should note that I was in grade 2... Never had an ear infection since though, and I used to get them chronically. I don't remember my exact recovery time, but it wasn't long.

Not sure if that helps at all, or even it that's what your surgery would be...
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

So this doctor is going to cut into your face right?

Is it unreasonable to ask the doctor to provide you with a clear explanation of the surgey? Tell the doctor to cut the shit and give you an understandable explanation of the surgery.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

So this doctor is going to cut into your face right?

Is it unreasonable to ask the doctor to provide you with a clear explanation of the surgey? Tell the doctor to cut the shit and give you an understandable explanation of the surgery.

He did. And I know what he's going to do. I just couldn't for the life of me tell you what the surgery is actually called. I'm just wondering how long I have to wait afterwards to start jumping again.

Honestly, your doctor may not even know. If he gives you an answer, it's probably just a stab in the dark guess. He probably won't know for sure the effect of skydiving on the nasal passages nor how healed you have to be. He'll probably just give the full recovery timeframe to play it safe.

Before you have this surgery done, have a dentist check all your teeth. Infected teeth can give a lot of the symptoms of sinus problems (and vice versa) and won't be helped by the surgery. The roots of upper teeth can actually be in the sinus area.

I had a patient that had surgery done several times with no improvement, until I took out one tooth...all got better.

Might be worth a quick trip to make sure.

Jump more, post less!

I just had nasal surgery a few weeks ago, but I doubt it would be much like what you are talking about.
Mine was to repair internal and external damage caused by slipping on ice and smashing my face into the edge of a concrete step.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hi,
It sounds like you're going to have a Turbinectomy. It is in fact a roto-rooter job on your nasal passages. You're going to do some cocaine, too (it helps minimize bleeding). I only recovered these patients. So, I don't know about aftercare. They're not actually going into your sinus cavities. They're only cutting back some bone & soft tissue. Recovery time should be quick.

I have had 2 seperate surguries to fix a deviated septum.......if thats it than IT SUCKS BIG HARRY BALLS!!!

but it did get rid of my migranes!

If your doc is breaking out a chisel and small hammer then he may pack your nose with 10 miles of gauze to hold its shape until it heals.........after it has had a chance to dry for 2 damn weeks they pull it out......and that is enough to make you confess your deepest secrets to make him stop.

If thats not what hes doing then hell...piece of cake!
.......I hereby reject your reality and instead choose to insert my own!

I've had nasal surgery, I don tthink it was as extensive as what your talking about. I had some growths removed from my nasal cavity, as well as an endoscope to check everything else.

Recovery from surgery was fine, out for about a week.

The grossest part of it was removing the packing they put in your nose. It was like pulling a tampon out of my nostral :|

I wanted to laugh and puke at the same time.

Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

I had a balloon sinuplasty and a septoplasty last March and I just remember the doc telling me flying was out for at least 1 month.

I had zero problems from the surgery... it was actually quite easy recovery-wise - I was quite surprised as I had heard horror stories. The worst part for me was the after visits with the 'cleaning' ... UGH! [:/]

Good luck in whatever procedure you're getting! :)

"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" ~ Helen Keller

Sounds like it might be a procedure I had a couple of years ago called Sinus Trephination.

I had a Sinus Mucocele, which basically means that the exits to the sinus have closed up by bone, not letting the sinus drain. The pressure builds up and the mucus cannot escape.

The Sinus Trephination basically opens up the sinus and allows it to drain again. And yes, it is a 'roto-rooter' up the nose and through the side of the sinus . . . opening it up. Caution if you watch the video. It is quite graphic!

And to answer you on how long until jumping again? 2-3 weeks for me. Worked great!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I had scar tissue removed from my nose 2 years ago. The splint was so uncomfortable, but when the removed it I couldn't believe how big it was!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

The grossest part of it was removing the packing they put in your nose. It was like pulling a tampon out of my nostral :|

I thought the same thing when they pulled the packing out in the recovery room, and it even had a string on it!:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hi 1,

If your doc is breaking out a chisel and small hammer then he may pack your nose with 10 miles of gauze to hold its shape until it heals.........after it has had a chance to dry for 2 damn weeks they pull it out......and that is enough to make you confess your deepest secrets to make him stop.

Grown men will cry; I know.

JerryBaumchen

Before you have this surgery done, have a dentist check all your teeth. Infected teeth can give a lot of the symptoms of sinus problems (and vice versa) and won't be helped by the surgery. The roots of upper teeth can actually be in the sinus area.

I had a patient that had surgery done several times with no improvement, until I took out one tooth...all got better.

Might be worth a quick trip to make sure.

From what I understood, he is going to fix my deviated septum (it's borderline moderate to severe), and remove some stuff to open up my nasal passages. He also feels that allergies play a large role in this so I'm going to start getting tested for all of that soon. Which, if anyone has ever been to Atlanta this time of year they know that EVERYTHING turns yellow from the pollen. So allergies wouldn't surprise me at all.

We know it's not tooth related thanks to the CT scan. The scan showed (or at least he said it did when he pointed it out to me, for all I know it was the CT scan of a monkey) that my nasal passages are too small. A genetic trait. Both of my parents had the same problem. He said that becasue I can't breathe well enough it's not drying out the mucus. Hence the daily sniffles and the tri-monthly sinus infections. He also hit the nail on the head when he mentioned that I probably snore (and I do, quite loudly), can't sleep for more than 5 hours at a time, and never feel well rested.

Everyone keeps talking about the packing, if I remember correctly he said there really wasn't going to be all that much. Of course he could have been sugar coating it for all I know. Like I said before though, my boss had the same surgery, from the same DR. and she said that within 3 days afterwards she was up and doing chores around the house with more energy than she had ever had.

I think I have answered everyone's questions. And thanks for all the feedback. I've gotten mixed reviews on how the recovery is going to be. Some say horrible (even my Dr. said to expect it to feel like I have a really bad sinus infection for 2 weeks afterwards), others say they felt great just a few days after. I guess I'll just have to wait and see which side of the fence I end up on. Right now I'm trying to stay optimistic and listen to my boss who had a great recovery since she had it from the same Dr.

On a side note, the Dr. is also a board certified plastic surgeon. Think it would be wrong to say, "While you're in there........"? ;):D:D

I believe I had something like that when I was 16, for the same reasons. It was uncomfortable, but that was about it.

The removing the packing part was also uncomfortable, but I've been plenty more uncomfortable at other times.

I went from regular sinus infections to very rare ones.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My experience on the recovery:

They pulled out the packing in the recovery room, and I thought:
"Cool! I can already breathe through my nose, so this won't be too bad."
Then the bleeding filled up my nose so I could not breathe at all the first night, causing me to wake up every ten minutes with my mouth totally dried out, and had to drink water just to get rid of the dryness.

After that first night, I made an effort to draw warm salt water up my nose twice a day to flush out the debris, and let me breathe normally at night.

The first 4 days I could not concentrate at all, even though there was no acute pain.
It just felt like a really bad sinus infection.

The next 4 days, I felt about half normal.
At the end of 8 days, I felt fine.

I never took any kind of painkillers, even though I had a prescription from the surgeon that I could have used.