castle_bravo

Pilot Chute Nightmare

This happenes from time to time.
I thought pull out system eliminates this type of mal, until my friend with pull out had same mal which lead to cut away
With pc out it is important to cut away first then pull reserve.

I've seen two main reserve entanglement to this type of mal, and both went straight for silver

with a pilot chute in tow, i never understood why one would cutaway then pull reserve. with a pillt chut in tow, the main is stuck in the bag, nothing to cutaway. I feel this guy did the right thing, PIT dump reserve and HOPE it clears. If not (like in this situation) at least you have 2 chances of getting fabric over your head.

let it be said, ask an isntructor! but had this guy chopped before going to reserve, there is a good chance he would have died (his main is what eventually opened)

When I had my PC-in-tow I did cut away and this maybe saved my life. When the reserve opened it released the pressure from the main container a bit, just enough so that the main pilot chute was able to pull the pin. Not cutting away would have resulted in a two-out situation.

When I had my PC-in-tow I did cut away and this maybe saved my life. When the reserve opened it released the pressure from the main container a bit, just enough so that the main pilot chute was able to pull the pin. Not cutting away would have resulted in a two-out situation.

Cutting away first will of course prevent both canopies from inflating. Cutting away first will not prevent the main PC, canopy/d-bag, risers, and RSL shackle from passing by the reserve as it deploys. It is not at all certain this is better than the alternative.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Thanks, but this isn't really news. Also, I land ok in normal situations. As for my freefly - well, it sucks.

You landing with your reserve is a shame anyway.

Actually, I landed my main :| , not my reserve...

Sorry, my bad. I've seen a cable I've though that was the other way around.

Is it theorteically possible to build a pc that when any part of which becomes entangled with the bridle still inflates to some degree or another? Like a zp nylon ball with 6 mesh covered holes... just gotta make sure that inflow>outflow ...so gotta enginer some sort of valve?... Or get rid of the handle...still i have seen entangled pcs without handles though (base)...is this possible, excuse 1 am brainfarts.

Is it theorteically possible to build a pc that when any part of which becomes entangled with the bridle still inflates to some degree or another? Like a zp nylon ball with 6 mesh covered holes... just gotta make sure that inflow>outflow ...so gotta enginer some sort of valve?... Or get rid of the handle...still i have seen entangled pcs without handles though (base)...is this possible, excuse 1 am brainfarts.

There is no issue like this if you have a nice clean throw.

sure there is....all that needs to happen is for the bridle to hit the airstream before you are able to release the hackey/pud or whatever you use to pull the sucker. Basejumpers don't jump internal handles or double point attached pvc tubes for no reason.

The two that i've seen, had their reserve fire thru main riser, thus not being able to cut away.

I don't think there is a way to prevent this problem.

I insure clean throw, and i use 28 inch pc, not the smaller ones.
Initial opening is hard but canopy will snivel like norm.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

It is not fair to say that all mains will fall out once the reserve is deployed. Some are tighter in the containers than others.

Like stated before, with a PCIT ill take my chances with a POSSIBLE 2 out than with manin risers no longer connected AND an entagled reserve. Id rather have the chance of clawing 1 or both out of the bag (like this guy here in the video).
Moriuntur omnes, sed non omnes vixerunt.

Today when i was packing i thought about this thread and had an idea.
What if you would stow all the bridal under the bridalcover that runs from the closingflaps to the BOC, and just have the PC in the BOC pouch?

This would eliminate the chance of you wraping bridal around the PC while packing it.

I never tried it because i thought there might be something i havnt thought about.

I saw the question asked a few times but not answered. What was going on during freefall? I see a gorilla exit followed by flailing while staring only at the ground. Were you 100% sure that the other guy was not near you when you deployed? I only saw him once after you broke up.

What if you would stow all the bridal under the bridalcover that runs from the closingflaps to the BOC, and just have the PC in the BOC pouch?

This would eliminate the chance of you wraping bridal around the PC while packing it.

I never tried it because i thought there might be something i havnt thought about.

I dont think that is the best idea , you want the whole bridle out when you throw , and with the bridle in the very tight bridle cover , you throwing wont pull it all the way out.

I see a stuck bridle scenario with the pilot chute flailing around in the air pocket on your back.

Maybe if you make a point of pulling the bridle out with the throw. But I wouldnt take the chance.

I dont think that is the best idea , you want the whole bridle out when you throw , and with the bridle in the very tight bridle cover , you throwing wont pull it all the way out.

I see a stuck bridle scenario with the pilot chute flailing around in the air pocket on your back.

Maybe if you make a point of pulling the bridle out with the throw. But I wouldnt take the chance.

I thought of that too, unless you let go of the PC to early the PC should inflate and have normal pull force, which is enough (as usual) to pull the bridal out of the cover.

But another thing i didnt think of earlier, the BOC pouch is spandex and has the opening in the correct orientation.
The cover is corura that creates more friction and has the opening 180 degrees off the pull orientation.

Even if the bridal bunches up to a big mess it will come out of the spandex pouch, but if the same thing happend in the cover, i would belive it would be some problem.

Were you 100% sure that the other guy was not near you when you deployed?

I saw the guy I jumped with ~ 60% of the jump, he was about 50 meters from me and above me, thus he wasn't in the frame(camera FOV is a bit narrow). We often jump together, and he is very aware of my "flying all over the place" when sitflying. At ~ 2000 meters I saw him tracking off.

Agree with Morne. with bridle packed in that way PC would have more chance of being stuck in airpocket since it would be closer to your back.

regarding brake away vs. just pull reserve:
chances of chute engaglement are bigger in the case of two out than brakeaway + reserve.

ever, the procedure for brakeaway included the manual release of the risers prior the reserve pull...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBzgMIdtJm0

"The situation was as follows (this isnt 100% just my ideas):
1. main PC (it was cocked btw)entangles with bridle and therefore flies upside-down(thus no drag).
2. Attempted to a) catch bridle and pull pin via bridle by hand - attempt failed. b)hit container with elbow(been told it may help with pc in tow situations) - no use
3.since no main/or main d-bag out decided to go straight for reserve.
4.Reserve pc tangles with main pc
5. Since reserve pc entanglement with main pc ended up being by the bridle (I guess) - the drag from partially inflated reserve pc was transferred via entanglement to the main bridle and was sufficient to pull the main pin.
6. Main d-bag exits the container, reaches line stretch, reserve freebag(due to entanglement I suppose) follows main and lodges in twisted main lines.
7. Reserve freebag comes down as I kick it out from twists.
8. Reserve freebag is placed under armpit and held there until landing "

WOOOOOW!!!!
That has got to be the most awesome, creatively fucked-up, complicated and unexpected deployment sequence I have ever heard of. Having my reserve PC connect to and deploy my main is a possibility I have never even thought of. I'll bet THAT was a surprise, wasn't it? Damn.
Congratulations on getting a canopy out and regaining control of the situation. Landing after that, I'd be all like "What the fuck just happened!"
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

regarding brake away vs. just pull reserve:
chances of chute engaglement are bigger in the case of two out than brakeaway + reserve.

How did you make that conclusion?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am