bivar

The most extreme wingsuit flyby shown on tv?

Yes. I immediately recalled the fatality not too long ago where the wingsuiter impacted a bridge occupied by spectators.

I knew some of the people on that bridge and they were not at all happy about the proximity.
Of course no one had any idea of what he was going to try.

It's really rare to find the combination of BOTH daredevil and preparedness/planning skills. Usually, it's just idiots with little regard, it seems.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think calling Dwain (the person who hit the bridge) an idiot is speaking out of ignorance of his skill, capabilities and achievements. He did push a lot of his jumps to the very limits, but he planned and trained for them all meticulously.
He made a mistake at the bridge that he paid for with his life, but I wouldn't say that makes him an idiot.
I read on basejumper.com that someone spoke to one of the people in this video, and they said they were using the balloons as a target, but did get a little closer than they had planned.....

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

He made a mistake at the bridge that he paid for with his life, but I wouldn't say that makes him an idiot.

I'm sorry you lost someone you knew, but your emotion is clouding your judgment, and you're twisting the issue. With all due respect to him, the part of his action that was idiotic was not his choice to place himself at risk, or even his mistake while flying, it was placing the spectators on the bridge at risk.

Just to clarify - I didn't know Dwain, but if you have any interest in BASE you know who Dwain Weston is - he was one of the pioneers of aerials and one of the most liked and respected people in the sport.

I can see your point, but I see it's like someone getting killed by a stray wheel when watching NASCAR.......they were standing on a bridge that was being used as a target for meat missiles falling from the sky.

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

>I can see your point, but I see it's like someone getting killed by a stray wheel when
>watching NASCAR.......

Well, more like someone getting killed by a NASCAR driver as he was doing 90 miles an hour down a residential street. Sure, he's one of the top drivers in the world. Doesn't give him the right to put unsuspecting people at risk.

Yes. I immediately recalled the fatality not too long ago where the wingsuiter impacted a bridge occupied by spectators.

I knew some of the people on that bridge and they were not at all happy about the proximity.
Of course no one had any idea of what he was going to try.

We figured that Dwain and Jeb would fly a prudent distance above and under the bridge respectively with a healthy margin for error. Jeb did. Dwain decided to fold his wings up a bit to pass closer.

I think calling Dwain (the person who hit the bridge) an idiot is speaking out of ignorance of his skill, capabilities and achievements.

On that day Dwain was a selfish idiot.

I watched him collapse his wings to turn a sure thing into a mess, fly into the bridge railing ten feet away, his container open from the impact, and what was left of him land on the nearby wall.

My wife (you can hear her screaming in the video) was also not happy about Dwain risking the largely whuffo crowd's lives and ruining the event for the rest of us.

Yeah the blonde haired girl is the one from that documentary 20 seconds of joy.

Thats right.
And one of the guys in the video is Olympic champion and multiple world champion Lasse Kjus. (Alpine skiing)
Actually, all of the persons in this video are extreme sports athletes.
----------------------------------------

I don't think that impacting those balloons would be an issue. However having one of the strings used to tie them down entangling on your fingers for instance would probably sucks ass if you're moving at 120 mph.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Why would they aim at the balloons? anything hurts that fast. Think Freefall thru rain. And why balloons attached to Branches??? Ouch, it's all fun and games till someone gets an eye poked out!

I guess that the my reply to the thread was taken too seriously

it's called XTreme balloon popping.. but they missed :D

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

anyone have a different link to that clip.
I cant get past the "sonfordson" screen, the audio works but video wont play, even after i snatched the *flv file. i cant get it to stream[:/]

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?