skittles_of_SDC

safe areas to stay along I-65; FL>IL?

I leave FL to head back to IL in 1-2 days. I am going to try driving straight through but in the event that I can't make that happen I would appreciate advice on where I can stay without having to fear my car being broken into. I have literally the last year of my life in the back of my car.

I think the earliest I'd stop is Nashville, TN. After that I'd be looking to make it to big milestones in my drive before stopping. Milestones such as Louisville, KY and Indianapolis, IN.

In which areas around these cities can I be fairly confident my stuff will be safe?

Thanks.

Edit: to fix some atrocious grammar.

Find a "nicer" hotel. Park in the lot. Go to sleep for a few hours. A gun makes for a nice security blanket, but I think they frown on those in IL.

Personally, I would be more concerned with trying to push it to hard and driving drowsey than with property crime along the way.

Drive safe.

Murfreesboro, TN just north of Nashville have some good trucker areas that are lit up and safe. also, Bowling green, KY about an hour north of Nashville around exit 22 is a safe area and plenty of places to eat too. But just as the other poster stated along the expressway anywhere park in a nice lit area and you shouldnt have much issues.

Not many ppl hanging on a corner waiting for you to show up with gear for them to grab.

Have a safe trip!
THRIVING IN MY DASH!!

Pull into s small town. Park on s back street between two houses. They each think you are visiting the other guy.
A couple years ago I made the trip south. I was fried a 1 AM and pulled into a wayside. Not enough room in the car to get comfortable. I opened the door. Stuck one leg out and layed my head against the door frame. I woke up about four hours latter. No one had messed with me. Or checked to see if I was alive.
Don't worry about it.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Lots of the rest stops have over night security. If I'm tired and need some shut eye, I pull over in one of them (preferably with security) Lock the truck (set the alarm) hide anything of value from outside eyes and keep the XD handy. ;)

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

got full coverage car insurance? it may cover break insurance photo all your belongings.

That's a good idea. I didn't even think of that. I'm not sure if it's on our coverage but I do know we have very good coverage. Definitely something I will do before leaving just in case. Thanks for the suggestion.

When I moved(me and a small child) from the other side of the US to Florida I had bikes tied to the top of my car and the inside was fully loaded with more stuff. I stayed in two hotels on the drive out and no one messed with my car. I wasn't even worried about someone taking anything because it was all covered on my auto insurance. I made sure i called them to let them know i was moving. The only problem i had was i never called my bank and they froze my credit card and debit card because I had several gas charges and purchases in a variety of states.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

It's about 1.5 hours short of Nashville, but we have a guest bedroom in Madison, Alabama if you need it.
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

-take the plane and get your junk patted for no extra fee :)-stop anywhere, it's the land of the free, so it should be safe :)-get a co-driver or 2, drive shifts and stop only for technical pistops :)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

It's about 1.5 hours short of Nashville, but we have a guest bedroom in Madison, Alabama if you need it.

B| Thank you for the offer. That's very kind of you. I love our community.

However, I should have been more specific about my route. I'll be on I-75 all the way through GA then I get on I-24 to transfer from I-75 to I-65. So I'm not actually on I-65 until I reach Nashville.

I have a feeling I'll be driving all the way through anyway. This was more of a just in case.

What better snapshot of life in the great US of A in 2011!!

I leave FL to head back to IL in 1-2 days. I am going to try driving straight through but in the event that I can't make that happen I would appreciate advice on where I can stay without having to fear my car being broken into. I have literally the last year of my life in the back of my car.

I think the earliest I'd stop is Nashville, TN. After that I'd be looking to make it to big milestones in my drive before stopping. Milestones such as Louisville, KY and Indianapolis, IN.

In which areas around these cities can I be fairly confident my stuff will be safe?

Thanks.

Edit: to fix some atrocious grammar.

when i ran tours with show rigs all over the country, i always mapped the DZs along the way. always spent the night in a tent for free, and often had even better accommodations. yep, love this sport. :)

I have done this trip several times. A couple of times alone, a couple of times with kids. I usually pull into a nicely lit area, and snooze in my car. After an hour or two I hit the road again. Hey Skittles, if you come up 74 in Illinois and get tired before you head east on 80, you can stop at my house, where I have a deck you can jump off of naked! I'll even buy you a beer!
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]