nigel99

Ideas on where to go for 4 days

In June I want to take the wife on a trip while the kids are away. I have airmiles that will take us anywhere in the world so cost is not a consideration.

Naturally time zones and travel time is a consideration. Also "free" reward flights can be limited and need to be booked in advance. We are both happy with up-to around a 10 hour flight for a 4 day holiday so it is quite a big chunk of the globe that is available.

1) USA direct flights to Atlanta and Orlando are already no go. Other US destinations might be available but most of the big destinations are gone already.

2) Anywhere new in Europe sounds good. I am vaguely interested in Croatia but know nothing about it. We have been to Spain, Switzerland, Germany, France, Belgium, Denmark and Austria before. I have been to Bratislava, Slovakia and although it has cheap beer it felt fairly gloomy but wife hasn't been there.

3) Pretty much anywhere in the middle east or North Africa is an option but don't want to go on to exciting a trip and end up on tele. B|

We'll camp and both like the outdoors. She is into roller coasters and waterparks. She is keen to learn to paraglide and is happy for me to jump somewhere. Neither of us are into historic buildings or city/night life.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

North Africa ... I hear that Libya is a hot destination...

sod off. I just can't bear the thought of having 4 days without kids and staying here in the UK. I KNOW that it will rain and be crap weather despite it being June.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

How about somewhere more northerly to take advantage of the long days in June? Maybe Norway (don't they have a big skydive/BASE festival sometime around then?). Good hiking/outdoor stuff, I'm sure there's paragliding, and you could certainly jump.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Australia has been on my list of places to go forever. From what I hear, its BEAUTIFUL!

Yes Australia is next month - never been before. The joys of air-miles 2 free return tickets to Auz. that has been booked for a long time though and my mom is looking after the kids.

How about somewhere more northerly to take advantage of the long days in June? Maybe Norway (don't they have a big skydive/BASE festival sometime around then?). Good hiking/outdoor stuff, I'm sure there's paragliding, and you could certainly jump.

That sounds interesting I'll look into it. I have no intention of ever base jumping but skydive sounds good. We have fixed dates that aren't flexible so it will take a stroke of luck for it to line up.

Australia has been on my list of places to go forever. From what I hear, its BEAUTIFUL!

I should be able to let you know in a few months. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

North Africa ... I hear that Libya is a hot destination...

sod off. I just can't bear the thought of having 4 days without kids and staying here in the UK. I KNOW that it will rain and be crap weather despite it being June.

:P

If the Mrs wants to learn to PG - it will take more than 4 days ... BUT if she wants a Tandem some time - I'll take her if we can get our schedules and weather to match).

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Belize. Some of the best diving in the world, super friendly, speaks english, only a 2 hour flight or so from Houston/Dallas. :)

Depending on where he is as to if they speak his english or not. I venture that he didn't understand half what I said in my version of the language. :)
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

I just can't bear the thought of having 4 days without kids and staying here in the UK. I KNOW that it will rain and be crap weather despite it being June.

You should invite me to come visit during those 4 days so it won't rain. I've been to England 3 times (twice during June) and it's never rained more than a sprinkle for 30 minutes on one day. The weather was gorgeous! In fact, I don't even believe it rains that much in England, I think it's just a ruse to keep the American's away. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Iceland.

I got stuck there for a couple of days on my way back to the States from Poland. Wow, what an excellent surprise! I've decided that sometime in my future I'm going to plan a cycling vacation there. You can check out hot springs and glaciers, camp and hike around, then spend your last night in town before heading home (shorter version of the trip I plan to take).

It will be perpetual sunlight at that time. June 17 is Iceland Independence Day. We happened to fly out that day and got our in-flight movies for free due to the holiday.

Super nice people, gorgeous scenery, and nice weather that time of year. Plus, it's pretty inexpensive.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

reading what you want, i would say lauterbrunnen switzerland,... they have camping or cheap hotels (im rorh or horner). there is epic paragliding. there is a dz that does sweet heli jumps with sick views. u can watch base jumping and it is an amazing valley. fly into zurich and take the train from airport right to LB.

i vote italy as well, but if you are going to do venice, fly into venice. on miles it shouldnt matter.
dont let life pass you by

Zanziba, love it. But if you want to stay n Europe Denmark is lovely, a couple of days in Copenhagen and then head out to the countryside or even drive across the bridge into Sweden, its lovely. Copenhagen in the summer is stunning.
Or for shear romance Florence is hard to beat.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I'd vote Italia too. Cique Terre is a nice romantic getaway, then take the train over to Venice. No other city is like Venice. Easy flights in and out of Milan. Oh yeah, take a sunset tour of the Duomo roof in Milan. It was beautiful.

Thanks guys. I am leaning towards Italy I like seeing new countries and places and have never been there.

Nice one!
Jane and I are off to Cinque Terre in July .. can't wait - it looks loverly and we've heard really great things about the area....Food ... walking ... food... scenery . B|

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Thanks guys. I am leaning towards Italy I like seeing new countries and places and have never been there.

Last I heard, they have more old buildings there than roller coasters. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Last I heard, they have more old buildings there than roller coasters. :P

True - but nice mountains.