JohnnyMarko

Cheap Beer Thread

Since all the beer threads are for specialty beers out of range for college students, here's a thread for us cheapos that don't mind saving money just to drink to get drunk...

My current favorite, Bud Ice ($12.57 for a 30 pack). Nothing beats getting a 30 pack of 5.5% beer for the price of an expensive 6 pack :)

Hey now I just graduated from college :P I can drink piss beer too if necessary. I just prefer good beer when I can afford it. (or somebody else is buying:ph34r:) If its cheap beer I'm going Bud Light. It doesn't have the same weird aftertaste IMO as some of the other piss beers.

>here's a thread for us cheapos that don't mind saving money just to drink to
>get drunk...

20 lbs of milled grain $25
WLP001 yeast $6
2 oz Magnum hop pellets $3

10 gallons of 6% beer for ~$34

Made some ghetto crap in the dorms before I turned 21...In a gallon jug of water, add juice concentrate, sugar, yeast, let sit for 6 weeks or so, tasted like crap even after it was filtered, but did the trick...Besides the ingredients you mentioned, what other equipment would I need and would fit in a tiny apartment?

Hey now I just graduated from college :P I can drink piss beer too if necessary. I just prefer good beer when I can afford it. (or somebody else is buying:ph34r:) If its cheap beer I'm going Bud Light. It doesn't have the same weird aftertaste IMO as some of the other piss beers.

You just graduated college and you make HOW MUCH??:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

ok so I'm still poor. I just think the good beer is worth it.

o and shut it ski! :P

ok so I'm still poor. I just think the good beer is worth it.

o and shut it ski! :P

Judging by your rig, I believe you.

I think I improved the value in a few stitches.:D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

>what other equipment would I need and would fit in a tiny apartment?

If you are in an apartment, go with extract instead of grain. That way you skip the mash tun step which requires some specialized gear. In that case you would use:

18 lbs light LME instead of the grain (LME is liquid malt extract) - about $35

You will need a big pot (10gal or so) a fermenter (plastic water bottle works OK) lots of empty beer bottles and a few odds and ends (hoses etc.) If the apartment is tiny, 5 gallon batches are easier than 10 gallons. You can assemble everything yourself, or get a basic starter kit with everything you need for about $80. If you go that route you can also get a recipe kit for about $20 which contains extract, yeast, hops etc. (that's for a 5 gallon batch.)

It is very easy to make decent homebrew beer, very hard to make great homebrew. But it can be made very cheaply.

Since all the beer threads are for specialty beers out of range for college students, here's a thread for us cheapos that don't mind saving money just to drink to get drunk...

My current favorite, Bud Ice ($12.57 for a 30 pack). Nothing beats getting a 30 pack of 5.5% beer for the price of an expensive 6 pack :)

Hi Johnny,
Bud Ice eh? Good for the price but the 5.5% etches some of the aluminum off the inside of the can and makes it taste funny!! For cheap beer I usually go for Bush Light currently $6.99 / 12 pak or there abouts. Wasn't that long ago Beer prices around here were about $2.00 cheaper but the guvmint keeps uping their rip off!! Schlitz is only a few cents cheaper/12pak!! 'Sure hope the "DIXIE" Brewery gets back on line down in ole' New Orleans!!! I remember back in my college daze '63-'66, DIXIE/6pak was $0.99!!!! I might also add that GAS was 29.9cents/gal.!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

>Good for the price but the 5.5% etches some of the aluminum off the
>inside of the can and makes it taste funny!

Oskar Blues and Maui Brewing both use aluminum cans and brew beer with way higher ABV's than 5.5%. They don't have that problem. For the most part, cans work a lot better than bottles when it comes to protecting beer; cans don't let light through, and they don't react with beer. (They have a coating that keeps the beer from contacting the aluminum.)

>Good for the price but the 5.5% etches some of the aluminum off the
>inside of the can and makes it taste funny!

Oskar Blues and Maui Brewing both use aluminum cans and brew beer with way higher ABV's than 5.5%. They don't have that problem. For the most part, cans work a lot better than bottles when it comes to protecting beer; cans don't let light through, and they don't react with beer. (They have a coating that keeps the beer from contacting the aluminum.)

Hi BV,
Thx for the info...I Know!! I was just kidding about the 5.5% "etching" the inside of the can!! All this talk about BEER is gettin' me thirsty!! Gotta' go check the fridge for a cold brewski!! Do your part to help save the Earth, it's the only planet in the universe with BEER!!!!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

my favorite beer is an open one. :P

My favorite beer is my next one.

My least favorite is an empty one.

Bud ice?? No way! :P If you're going to drink cheap beer, at least drink good cheap beer! If anybody is fortunate enough to have a Trader Joes in their area: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/435/45308

Simpler times! Yum! $2.99 for a 6 pack. And it's 6.2% B|
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)