FlyingJ

Solar battery charger/maintainer

Who has a solar battery maintainer and what do you think?

I want to keep the battery in my Jeep topped off while spending upwards of 4-6 days at a time 50-60 miles down the beach. The Jeep is an integral part of the camp (roof rack mounted tarps form our shade/kitchen area) so I try not to run the vehicle to avoid the exhaust and extra heat.

By the end of an average trip the battery is typically giving all it has just to turn over the engine. I always have a portable booster box, but ideally I would like to be able to use that as a portable power source (to run a spotlight) and then be able to recharge it using the vehicle during the day.

Any suggestions regarding brands/models that you have used would be great.

I will connect directly to the battery, but I am also interested in hearing what people way smarter than me have to say about the type of chargers that plug into a 12v outlet.

Thanks all!
Killing threads since 2004.

I will connect directly to the battery, but I am also interested in hearing what people way smarter than me have to say about the type of chargers that plug into a 12v outlet.

You have to make sure that you wire the diode in series with the panel, most of the ones that plug into the cig lighter already have that done. Not to mention they're easier to hook up ;)

If you do hard wire it, and don't put the diode in series, you'll just drain the battery faster!

I had a plan (which I lost momentum on) to integrate a solar panel in the truck, wired to a gel cell battery (similar to the one in the power pack) that was wired to a couple old ford starter solenoids (cheaper than high amperage relays) to jump start my truck, from the drivers seat, without popping the hood. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

You have to make sure that you wire the diode in series with the panel, most of the ones that plug into the cig lighter already have that done. Not to mention they're easier to hook up ;)

If you do hard wire it, and don't put the diode in series, you'll just drain the battery faster!

Most definitely. I don't do DIY when it comes to electric stuff. Bad results tend to be too expensive. When I buy one it will be something like the following, with everything included:

http://store.sundancesolar.com/su6vsoch.html

I mainly wrote to see if anyone had especially good or especially bad experiences with any certain brand, etc. It's not easy for any type of electronic gadget to hold up to the salt/sand spray and humidity of the south Texas coast. We'll see how it goes with this!

This one keeps my motorcycle battery happy. I hooked it up to a volt meter and got a lot of voltage.

Connect one to your jump start thingy and keep that fully charged too.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200422045_200422045

Voltage is important, current is more important :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

>1.8 amps isn't much, but it's better than a swift kick in the ass.

500ma will keep a battery from dying.

1-2 amps will _slowly_ charge a dead battery.

3+ amps will let you run things like small lights and cellphone chargers at night.

I ended up picking up a SunForce 5 watt trickle charger.

http://www.sunforceproducts.com/product_details.php?PRODUCT_ID=58

I'm not expecting a fully recharged battery, but I'm hoping it will just take the edge off enough to leave me a little more juice after 4 to 6 days on the beach. If this one doesn't work it will go to my buddy as a maintenance charger for his boat and I'll keep looking.

Something is better than nothing. I think with that one, and some good ol' Texas sun, you'll be fine!

Something is better than nothing. I think with that one, and some good ol' Texas sun, you'll be fine!

Agreed.

I failed to mention in the first post that the biggest reason for not running the engine to recharge batteries is fuel consumption. 60 miles down a 4wd only beach at aprox. 6mpg makes for a very fuel hungry trip. With an extra 5 gallons of fuel added for the return trip I get to the first gas station just as I pass 1/8th of a tank. Worse case scenario of somehow being stupid enough to drive back at high tide, in soft sand for all 60 miles leaves me getting off the beach practically farting in the gas tank in hopes of it being combustible.

Needless to say, exploring options for safely carrying additional fuel in/on my Jeep are really the bigger priority.

Agreed.

I failed to mention in the first post that the biggest reason for not running the engine to recharge batteries is fuel consumption. 60 miles down a 4wd only beach at aprox. 6mpg makes for a very fuel hungry trip. With an extra 5 gallons of fuel added for the return trip I get to the first gas station just as I pass 1/8th of a tank. Worse case scenario of somehow being stupid enough to drive back at high tide, in soft sand for all 60 miles leaves me getting off the beach practically farting in the gas tank in hopes of it being combustible.

Needless to say, exploring options for safely carrying additional fuel in/on my Jeep are really the bigger priority.

Your problem is the same many boat owners have who leave their rigs at the dock each week. We mostly solve that problem with a second battery and a switch that isolates the 2.

http://www.iboats.com/Marine-Battery-Switches/dm/cart_id.640946690--session_id.417191141--view_id.216621
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Your problem is the same many boat owners have who leave their rigs at the dock each week. We mostly solve that problem with a second battery and a switch that isolates the 2.

http://www.iboats.com/Marine-Battery-Switches/dm/cart_id.640946690--session_id.417191141--view_id.216621

That is definitely a consideration, and when we travel down the beach but not quite as far there are several extra batteries that make the trip. Going the full distance though things like the batteries and other more luxurious items get left behind to make room primarily for additional water, coolers of ice and extra food. It really is a whole lot easier when we can send a truck on a two hour round trip into town to pick up some supplies after a few days than when that round trip would take 8 hours and 60 miles each way of back breaking off road travel.

We really lucked out our last trip though. There was a dredging operation and a dude was stationed on our side of the cut to watch out for any sea turtles that might have gotten injured/killed by their machinery. He traveled back and forth to the nearest port by boat and not only brought us ice a couple days but also brought some fresh eggs after our four dozen turned into only 4 with the bumpy ride down.

Absolutely. We run a generator when it is legal. The National Park Service (who run the National Seashore) prohibit generators and any motorized watercraft on the beach. When possible we have a generator and also use a small Zodiac or jet ski to run out our baits instead of a kayak.

That said, I'm a much bigger fan of no generators on the beach. They are loud and to me, end up taking away from the experience. In the heat of south texas summer though running a generator to power a box fan in every tent is something I can very easily get over.

I found the 5 watt charger did not keep up with my electric gate opener, even with a small 12v lawn tractor battery. But if you are not drawing from the battery at all, the 5w should keep it topped up.

For the 12v lawn tractor battery, I installed 2 10watt panels that were about 12x12" each and that keeps it charged all the time for me.

The 15W panel Nothern Tool sells for about $99 along with the small charge controller is a great deal for that size. It is a fairly large panel, so awkward to carry around. I made a fold-up case for two of them, also large and heavy, but it has bailed my ass out in hurricane times here in FL. The 30 Watts charges a car battery in no time and supplies enough juice for small 12V stuff, lights, etc.

I found the 5 watt charger did not keep up with my electric gate opener, even with a small 12v lawn tractor battery. But if you are not drawing from the battery at all, the 5w should keep it topped up.

For the 12v lawn tractor battery, I installed 2 10watt panels that were about 12x12" each and that keeps it charged all the time for me.

The 15W panel Nothern Tool sells for about $99 along with the small charge controller is a great deal for that size. It is a fairly large panel, so awkward to carry around. I made a fold-up case for two of them, also large and heavy, but it has bailed my ass out in hurricane times here in FL. The 30 Watts charges a car battery in no time and supplies enough juice for small 12V stuff, lights, etc.

This is exactly what I'm expecting based on what I've seen so far. The one I purchased can be added to others, so I may end up keeping what I have and adding it to a 15w or something similar. I have a week long beach trip towards the end of May when I'll be able to see how it works without having to try and simulate battery use.