theonlyski

Geeking out

So, according to a dz.commer I spent a good part of the night 'geeking out'.

I:
  • Re-wired my entertainment center
  • Put my wireless router & cable modem in the center
  • Hooked up the mac mini (running snow leopard server) as a media/VPN server (can control the media center from my iPhone, as well as connect to the VPN, and even without the VPN, stream my media to my phone anywhere I have internet coverage)
  • Connected my AT&T Microcell
  • Hooked up my NAS, so the Mac can pull media off and play it
  • Made it all look pretty!

So, what kind of geeking have yall done lately?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I spent part of today wiring a Dell 1u server into the 25u enclosed rack I have in the basement then put ESXi on it to spin up the VM images I need for applications. :P

That's only like 5-6 wires, tops!

:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Today it was creating web services to determine if a user was allowed to post certain data to a server based on items in their shopping cart, and writing a few ajax calls (thank cod for jquery) to either post the items to a database or throw an exception due to lack of meeting criteria in an online point-of-sale system I'm building for a client.

A few months ago, it was more fun. Setting up a media server on an old laptop (Fedora for the OS, running MythTV for the server), setting up a LAMP stack on the laptop to use as a home development environment, and networking my playstation3 and xbox360 with the media server so I can just use the controllers as remotes for everything. When I finally get a new laptop, I'll be removing the LCD from the old laptop (the server that I'm typing this on now) and using my TV as the primary monitor. The hinges on this laptop are broken, so I can't open / close the screen. I still haven't decided what I'll do with the LCD yet. It works perfectly.

EDIT: My server setup is not pretty. At all. I've got a couple external 1TB hdd's under a table, with everything else on top of the table. I just threw a funky tapestry on it as a tablecloth to hide all the wires underneath. I hate it when my dog goes under it, because she comes out with a giant bundle of wires with her.

Hah.

I got a message on facebook from my tattoo artist asking me to go in to check some of her PC stuff out as she just got it when they designed the shop.

So my lunch hour involved going there and showing her how to use the aux plugs on the hi-fi to relay music from the computer. Then going through the software and explaining what each thing does and how cracking of pirated software works (Not that I'd ever endorse that :)). And showing her how to rip CDs onto the hard drive and add them to play lists.

Followed by going home to work on my own site and look for mobile forum extensions to give users better flexibility when viewing for a mobile device.

Not very geeky, apart from the fact that my tattoo artist thinks of me first when they need help with trivial computer stuff. Though I'm not complaining, tattoo discounts.

Wanna come to my place and make all my electronic stuff run better? You're always making fun of me for how shitty it is.

Only if you promise to not drink (that much) :P

Wanna come to my place and make all my electronic stuff run better? You're always making fun of me for how shitty it is.

Only if you promise to not drink (that much) :P

I promise. I did go a little overboard didn't I. :$

I think overboard went out the window with your second screwdriver.:D:D