theonlyski

Apple (iPhone) Developers?

Any of ya'll iPhone developers? Have a project that I want to work on (personal, just for my phone) and wanted some guidance and maybe some help with the actual process. The biggest thing is I don't wanna pay the $100 to get a year subscription to be able to provision my phone and write test programs
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I was just looking for someone who could help get me started, I haven't written a program on an apple product since my Apple IIe.

Whats the process for developing the apps? I know you can code them, but can you test them on the simulator before you have to buy that license?

Once you do buy the license and provision your phone for testing, do you have to keep the license valid (not let it expire)?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Not an iOS developer myself (develop for android from time to time), but I have several friends that are, and we have a division at work that builds apps for iphone. From what I understand, all you have to do is register (for free) with Apple as a developer, download the SDK and their IDE, and you're good to go as far as developing. When you get the program written and tested on the simulator that comes with the IDE, that's when you'll have to pay the $100 to put it on your phone. There's no getting around that. That's why I got a droid. ;)

Ok, that's pretty much what I was looking for.

Now, here's a screwball:

If my phone was provisioned for testing already, could I just drop the apps on it, or do you need the same persons that provisioned it to compile the apps?

If my phone was provisioned for testing already, could I just drop the apps on it, or do you need the same persons that provisioned it to compile the apps?

That I have no idea about, and will have to let another developer answer. I would think that if your phone is set up as a testing environment, then with a little instruction, you would be able to launch applications from their binaries on it. I'm not sure what security Apple has set up on their devices / dev environments to be able to answer this one though. Sorry.

that's when you'll have to pay the $100 to put it on your phone. There's no getting around that. That's why I got a droid. ;)

actually if you just jailbreak your phone, you can put whatever the hell you want on it.

To the OP, you can download the SDK its called for free. I believe it comes with a simulator, if not that is available too.