fallfast69

A Clockwork Orange

Watched it for the first time over the weekend and I'm trying to decide if I wasted 2 hours of my life, or if I need to watch it again.

I found the story to be very slow moving until about a half-hour into it. I kept waiting for the "wow moment" and I'm still not sure I ever got it. I'm not saying it wasn't interesting...it just didn't grab me the way I thought it would.

If you loved, hated, or was indifferent to the movie, tell me what made that way for you.

It sucked.
They expected you to feel sympathy for the central character, but he was such an asshole that I thought he deserved whatever they did to him.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I just happened to watch it on TV when I was a teenager (20+ years ago), having never even heard of it, so it was a real WTF??? at that time, and it really stuck in my mind. (And I had a crush on Malcolm McDowell for a while after that. :)) If I saw it for the first time today, I'm guessing the shock value would be a lot lower, so I don't know if I would like it as much.

I did later read the book, which I enjoyed more than the movie. Though I read somewhere that the last chapter or so was removed from the book before being distributed in America (with the "American" version being what the movie was based on). Apparently the original version was not violent enough for us Americans, or something like that.

The cinamatography is very good, from the costumes to lighting, soundtrack, direction, camera work, and editing. I know not everybody looks at a film from that perspective but this was truly a wonderful exercise in film making.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

"A Clockwork Orange" from Stanley Kubrick is a classic "birazzo" movie not to be confused with any of the other modern day drivel that comes from Hollywood these days. Stanley Kubrick has a history of making bizarre movies that make you sit back and think "WTF did I just watch". The mere fact that you ask yourself "Did I just waste 2 hours of my time, or should I watch it again" shows Stanley did his job on this movie.

Personally I vote for you to watch it again, but that's just me. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I loved it!!!
It too gave me the WTF thoughts too.
I watched it first when I was very young and then watched it after I got older and since seen it a few more times.
No,there really is no "wow" moment in it...it's just the way the movie itself was made.
Stanly Kubrick movies always leave you a little "confused"

Bry
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

I just happened to watch it on TV when I was a teenager (20+ years ago), having never even heard of it, so it was a real WTF??? at that time, and it really stuck in my mind. (And I had a crush on Malcolm McDowell for a while after that. :)) If I saw it for the first time today, I'm guessing the shock value would be a lot lower, so I don't know if I would like it as much.

You watched it on regular TV or unedited cable?

After seeing him with the wire thingys in his eyeballs...you still had a crush..it's either eeek;) or maybe, how youuuu doin:$

I liked it, but that was about 30 years ago, and I was about 20 at the time. I don't know what I'd think if I saw it again today.

I'll tell ya this, though: it ruined the song "Singin' in the Rain" for me.

I, also, wondered if I had seen it 30 years ago if my take on it would have been different. I still dig "2001 A Space Oddesey", but it looks kinda corny now-a-days.

+1 on "Singing in the Rain"

"A Clockwork Orange" from Stanley Kubrick is a classic "birazzo" movie not to be confused with any of the other modern day drivel that comes from Hollywood these days. Stanley Kubrick has a history of making bizarre movies that make you sit back and think "WTF did I just watch". The mere fact that you ask yourself "Did I just waste 2 hours of my time, or should I watch it again" shows Stanley did his job on this movie.

Personally I vote for you to watch it again, but that's just me. :ph34r:

I think I'll do that, Steve.

NetFlix is totally cool.

Watched it for the first time over the weekend and I'm trying to decide if I wasted 2 hours of my life, or if I need to watch it again.

I found the story to be very slow moving until about a half-hour into it. I kept waiting for the "wow moment" and I'm still not sure I ever got it. I'm not saying it wasn't interesting...it just didn't grab me the way I thought it would.

If you loved, hated, or was indifferent to the movie, tell me what made that way for you.

Download and listen to the book.

After getting a quick background and insight here

You watched it on regular TV or unedited cable?

It was probably on cable. I also rented it and watched it again a few years later. Now that I see it's on Netflix Instant Watch, maybe I'll watch it again.

After seeing him with the wire thingys in his eyeballs...you still had a crush..it's either eeek;) or maybe, how youuuu doin:$

Well, I don't think it was that particular scene that made me remember him, but..... I guess I just have a thing for creepy guys. :|:$

Oh, and as for the song "Singin' in the Rain," I've seen that musical so many times (one of my favorite movies), that it'll probably always bring up visions of Gene Kelly for me rather than A Clockwork Orange. :)

it ruined the song "Singin' in the Rain" for me.

I was never much for that song even before seeing this movie. But "A Clockwork Orange" did change how I viewed the "William Tell Overture" song (the song played after Alex picks up the girls in the music store and take them back to his place for some of the "Old In Out"). :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Download and listen to the book.

After getting a quick background and insight here

Good idea. Like I indicated earlier, I'm not much of a reader, but I feel like I need to be.

The cool thing about listening to books of your choosing.. is you get to reclaim those completely wasted hours during the commute. I am going back and listening to book I read 40 or 50 years ago. Currently I am listening to the Earthsea series by Ursula K LeGuin after having just finished the Foundation series( not just Trilogy as I had originally read it)

..... I guess I just have a thing for creepy guys. :|:$

"How you doin'?";)
(Sorry, but I just couldn't resist.)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Personally I think it is an amazing movie but it's also not like a lot of other movies (partly why I like it). That's Kubrick for you though.

I think most people are either blown away by it or almost completely indifferent. There's nothing wrong with not liking it though!
I still think it holds up, I reckon I've seen it 10 times by now and it still entertains me more than most other films I've seen.
It ends up being just little things that get me. Like when the nude girl comes out on stage and the prison warden has this look on his face like he's experiencing 10G of acceleration. Makes me laugh every time.