godfrog

ATC asleep!

Air traffic controler in the tower at Reagan international fell asleep while on night shift and 2 airliners land without clearance!
I'm glad I fly at uncontroled airstrips!:P
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

Fact is.... two airliners landed without .... Incident......!!!

I know that there IS a certain procedure.. but often, in general , "clearance " is waaay overrated :|

what's the big Hub Bub?? Bub.....
seems like the media loves to get all carried away with...
"What Ifs"......
I am Just glad it WASN'T Dulles,,, cause my brother works the tower, there....:o;)

Air traffic controler in the tower at Reagan international fell asleep while on night shift and 2 airliners land without clearance!

Maybe asleep. And waiting on the massive kneejerk out of the FAA after the media runs with this story all day.:S

Maybe asleep. And waiting on the massive kneejerk out of the FAA after the media runs with this story all day.:S

No need to wait all day.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood is directing that two air traffic controllers be on duty at Reagan National Airport late at night following an incident in which two airliners landed without tower clearance because they couldn't reach the lone controller. http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9M59JC00.htm

yeah...untilllllll....the day i was holding for runway 21 because an incoming pilot was calling "downwind for runway 21" ... i looked around, did not see him, but i did see someone going for runway 3..."base for runway 21" ... "final for runway 21" at that point the owner of the airport who is warming up in front of me says..."don't you mean runway 21?" "Oh! right! aborting! ...sorry, my book must have been upside down." :S

My first Q: Why the hell is a controlled field staffed by just one controller with no one to relieve him???:S

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

About 9 or 10 years ago I was flying a Lear Jet back from Iceland into Goose Bay, Canada in the middle of the night to refuel. When we got handed over to the tower there was initially no response. Fortunately there was good weather and we decided to just do standard uncontrolled airport callouts and land visually. Before we landed we heard a couple of unintelligible transmissions on the radio.

After we landed and parked I went in and called the tower. I let it ring for a few minutes and finally the controller picked it up. He was drunk on his ass. Totally out of it. I made a few phone calls to the authorities and recommended police and ambulance go to check on him. In the back of my mind I knew that it was possible that he might have a medical condition that was affecting him. We ended up taking off visually and picking up our IFR clearance in the air from Center. I found out later that he really was drunk. And the whole thing was hushed up.

I never heard a thing aboot it in the Canadian news.

I got handed off to a wrong freq in Salt lake in the middle of the day one time, the controler didn't know who I was or where I was.......finally got ot straight.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

Fact is.... two airliners landed without .... Incident......!!!

Whaaaat?

Every junior reporter knows that without controllers to guide them every step of the way pilots don't have a clue where they are or where they're going, and most certainly can't land.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I got handed off to a wrong freq in Salt lake in the middle of the day one time, the controler didn't know who I was or where I was.......finally got ot straight.

That happens all the time. Confusing as hell, some pilot checking in that thinks you should know who he is and you got no f-ing clue. :S

I did all of the proper procedures and had all of the frequencys stacked up and was assigned a squawk code and each time I was assigned a new freq I had it and all of a sudden I was handed a freq I didn't have I switched to it and checked in and the control asked who are you I don't have you on my scope and when we got it figured out I was handed back to where I was supposed to be which was the next freq. I had on my radio, I was handed off wrong!