FlyingJ

Murphy/Wall bed plans?

Anyone here built a murphy/fold down bed?

Was just informed this morning that my mom expects to have a new one built while I visit them in a few weeks.

Not too worried about building a cabinet or platform, just not so sure about connecting the two with a mechanism to provide an easy lift/pull.

I have found the kits that cost upwards of $300. Pretty sure my mom would go with a dead lift option rather than spend that much. I'd rather she not be dead lifting the weight of the bed.

I've also read about someone using an automatic door closer but there was no description regarding how it was used.

Any thoughts are helpful.
Killing threads since 2004.

Not yet although it's on my honey-do list. I plan on building it with raised panels, probably 4 across and 2 vertically split 2/3 and 1/3.

I got my queen bed hardware package from rockler.com after they sent me one of their 10 or 15% off coupons

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17212

Not yet although it's on my honey-do list. I plan on building it with raised panels, probably 4 across and 2 vertically split 2/3 and 1/3.

I got my queen bed hardware package from rockler.com after they sent me one of their 10 or 15% off coupons

That "Create A Bed" hardware package is exactly the one I was talking about. You've been happy with it?

That "Create A Bed" hardware package is exactly the one I was talking about. You've been happy with it?

It's still on my todo list. I still need to get around to opening up the hardware box and picking out lumber :-)

I love my WallBed!

as for deadlift: no way! Go with the spring loaded model.
The weight of the mattresswill have to be a major factor in the lift mechanism, and make sure you have stong enough velcro to secure the mattress!!!

The stronger the construction, the more ' action ' it can take... lol..
:ph34r::ph34r:

Half-Way to 'A' and lovin' them blue skies...
and women with pretty blue eyes...
& ... "EH?"

I just finished ours this February... I used the Create-a-bed and it was a great kit. It comes with instructions and the cut list. All you have to do is make the cuts and put together the puzzle. However, this thing gets pretty darn big and you will definitely need two people to move it around for finishing and then to get it inside and setup. I attached photos of the complete project and then a couple before finishing.

I would definitely recommend the Create-A-Bed setup. But, the $300 kit will be your smallest cost... I used cabinet grade plywood and poplar. You are going to be at $1K by the time you trim (basic) and finish the bed.

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

Thanks all of for the suggestions. I've been vetoed on purchase of any of the $300ish kits. Apparently the one my mom saw and loved was built by her friend's husband and is nothing more than a very basic (4 pieces of wood held together with L brackets, no trim, etc.) cabinet with a bed platform hinged to the bottom of the cabinet and laying flat on the floor when open. She wants it off the floor, but as it will be used in a room that is really nothing more than a large closet 95% of the time she is not concerned about the overall aesthetic of it as a furniture piece. I believe we'll add some type of mechanics to assist with the lift/lower but her response to that was "can't we just attach a rope with a pully?" So, we'll see. Looks like it is going to be on the cheap and we'll see what we can come up with.