tr027

Stows

I'm curious to get the views of the general populace on tube stows versus small rubber bands versus the regular size rubber bands double stowed. Should you only use one type for the entire bag, or which go where, etc. I'm trying to see if one or the other may have a pattern of either line dump/twist, and which configuration gives the best reliability. Thanks
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

whatever you use, just make sure that each one is the same as the one next to it. or at least that's what "they" say. it makes sense to have that balance so the bag doesn't tumble all crazy.
personally, i did a little experiment when i was jumping my stiletto 120 a lot. i packed with all different size bands and different configs... i.e. single and double wraps and all that crap... never had a faster or slower opening that i could notice, and never more than 45 off heading.

if you're brave, you'll just try it all out yourself... but personally i think tube stows suck.

ok, well... take it with a grain of salt...:S

THAT'S the thread I was looking for...thanks Dave.

Just remember...the canopy wasn't 'tested' with tube stows.

TSO requirements call for the utilization of MilSpec 'Bubbarands'
only~

Best answer I ever got to that question was:

~ Ever seen 'em on a RESERVE?!

:D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

i'm also not saying that it's not true, but i have a hard time understanding how tighter stows prevent hard openings... i mean i get the basic idea of it, but i don't have any stows on my BASE rig, and even at terminal with a mesh slider, it doesn't WHACK me like some people claim they get from a velo???

can someone help explain this to me??

TSO requirements call for the utilization of MilSpec 'Bubbarands'
only~

Mains aren't TSOed, though.

Although I don't personally use tube stows on my sport rig, I use them on the tandem rigs I jump due to Bill Booth's presentation on the forces put on the locking stows during deployment of the tandems. Tube stows on the locking stows and bands on the rest of the stows for the tandems.

I also think that tube stows are good for sport mains as well...I'm just cheap and have a large collection of small rubberbands that's I've some how aquired over the years. Not to mention the free rubberbands at the DZ (the DZO didn't realize how big 5lbs bags of rubberbands really are and they're cheap, so he leaves them in a sorted bin for everyone to use).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

i'm also not saying that it's not true, but i have a hard time understanding how tighter stows prevent hard openings...

My understanding is that stows can effect the snatch force, but the opening is dependent on canopy design and the slider. There are a good number of people that only use the locking stows so to prevent bagstrip on deployment and they have perfectly normal deployments. They're not slammed on opening. There's even a stowless bag on the market that uses "tabs" to keep bag strip from happening.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Mains aren't TSOed, though.

I know...but if it's good enough for the 'back-up'!

I've used both...and agree tube stows last considerably longer.

But when I jump my 'smaller' canopy I was getting whacked with tubes
on it...Mfg. said loose 'em, which I did and the problem went away.

I'm told they 'roll' off the line stows, not holding the same pressure
as a standard rubba band...and 'can' cause line dump.

I just know I get better openings using the right sized,
MilSpec, recently manufactured, rubber bands...than
anything else.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I've found that with my ST120s that using standard rubberbands for the locking stows, but "istalling" them using the "tighter" tube stow instructions (basically pulling it through itself a second time) works well.

It keeps good tension, is a bit easier for packers than using small bands, and avoids the need to double stow the locking stows (which some people advise against).
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

i'm also not saying that it's not true, but i have a hard time understanding how tighter stows prevent hard openings... i mean i get the basic idea of it, but i don't have any stows on my BASE rig, and even at terminal with a mesh slider, it doesn't WHACK me like some people claim they get from a velo???

can someone help explain this to me??

Hey,

The reason for keeping the stows of proper tightness is to make sure that the lines stay where they need to be throughout deployment and come off the bag in an orderly fashion.

What happens when the bag gets pulled out and there are loose line stows is, some of the lines fall out of the stow, maybe not all of them so then you have lines all over.

This might not always be a problem, but it's just not very clean. It does help you have cleaner deployments if you have nice tight stows

Isaiah