ManagingPrime

Actual Malfunction, but on a Humor website....

1. What kind of Mal would this be?

It's a static line in tow on a military jump.

2. What is the procedure for this kind of Mal?

In the civilian world, it would be the J/M uses a knife to cut the S/L; then the jumper deploys his reserve. I'll defer to the military guys re: military procedures.

3. How often does this type Mal occur?

No idea; I'll wait for the military guys to speak up.

What would happen is the jumper would put both hands on his reserve rip cord. When the jump master saw that he would cut the static line if he did not see him cover his rip cord(i.e. unconscious) the jump masters on the flight would pull him back in.

3. How often does this type Mal occur?

I have never seen it happen, and as for numbers military static line jumps have an incident rate of 1% or 1 in a 100. That includes all possible problems in the plane and on the ground the vast majority of problems happen on the ground at landing though.

There is another vid, possibly of this same clip, somewhere on here. They end up towing the guy back into the plane.

Nope, even more amazing. Tow retrieval is practiced by the military, we-cut-you-pull-your-reserve is the civilian method. A third method, used here, was attaching a S/L deployed round reserve to the original S/l of the towed jumper, then cutting him loose. I had never seen or heard of that until I saw this whole video a while back.

Had to do some googling to get an understanding of the HUPRA system. With the very basic understanding that I have now it seems that it's a much safer option than cutting away and having someone deploy reserve, particuarly when lines are wrapped around the reserve container. Why has such a system nor been developed for civilian operations?

Had to do some googling to get an understanding of the HUPRA system. With the very basic understanding that I have now it seems that it's a much safer option than cutting away and having someone deploy reserve, particuarly when lines are wrapped around the reserve container. Why has such a system nor been developed for civilian operations?

Because civilian S/L jumps are relatively rare. And "in-tow" mals are even more rare.

Keep in mind most (vast majority) of military jumps are S/L on rounds. For civilian jumps, you get off the "Dope Rope" as soon as possible, usually within 10-15 jumps at the worst.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

What would happen is the jumper would put both hands on his reserve rip cord. When the jump master saw that he would cut the static line if he did not see him cover his rip cord(i.e. unconscious) the jump masters on the flight would pull him back in..

Not how it's done here ... the casualty puts his hands on his HEAD to indicate that he knows what is going on ... Putting your hands on he Reserve handle will cause massive panic in the a/c - last thing you want an a/c to do is tow a Deployed Reserve!!!!!

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

There was a S/L towing incident at a DZ I used to frequent many years ago.
The tow-ee was not the student, but the instructor!:D

After putting out the last student, he coiled the S/L, and put it under the pilots seat, but failed to disconnect it.
He dove out, and after 12' of freefall, came to an abrupt stop, with the S/L looped around one ankle.
The pilot cut him free.

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

US Military protocol is that the towed jumper snap back to a good tight body position with his left hand protecting the reserve ripcord grip. All attempts will be made to retrieve that towed jump back into the aircraft. If that towed jumper cannot be retrieved back into the aircraft and is still conscious, he will be cut away and should immediately deploy his reserve for a complete malfunction. If that towed jumper cannot be retrieved back into the aircraft is not conscious, a runway will be covered in foam and the aircraft will land with the jumper in tow. The pilot will make every effort to bank on the side with the towed jump to minimize bouncing the jumper off the side of the aircraft.

However, I have never heard of a case where the towed jumper could not be retrieved back into the aircraft. I think most C130s now have a retrieval winch installed on the anchor line cable. Unfortunately, the majority of towed jumpers behind a C130 get beat to death by the fuselage anyway.

Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEewo8M---Y&NR=1

Edit to add -

If anyone isn't clear on how a freebag works, the slo-mo portion of the video is a good illustration of the process.

That video still scares the bejeus out of me. I think it's the manaical laughter at the end that completes it.... that and the scream of 'Fuuuuck!' as the student pulls the rip cord.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEewo8M---Y&NR=1

Edit to add -

If anyone isn't clear on how a freebag works, the slo-mo portion of the video is a good illustration of the process.

That video still scares the bejeus out of me. I think it's the manaical laughter at the end that completes it.... that and the scream of 'Fuuuuck!' as the student pulls the rip cord.

The maniacal laughter is a pretty understandable reaction to the situation. It's a "Holy Shit I coulda died and didn't" laugh.

And yes, it has scared the living crap out of me since I first saw it almost 2 years ago. I often take S/L students up as the pilot, or ride the plane with them aboard (the JM tosses them out and we go all the way up). It seems so simple, but there's a lot that can go wrong. Fortunately the "wrongs" are pretty rare.
And proper packing can help prevent a lot of them.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Some malfunctions are more humorous than others...:S

Looking back at what was running through my mind at the moment can be funny. A couple examples:

1. "I hope this one works! I don't have any more!"

2. "Shit. Now I'm going to need to pack this damned reserve again."
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.