airtwardo

Best & Worst ~ concerts you've attended?

Best: Springsteen

Worst: Boston

Best: Imelda May (or Jeff Beck's Rock and Roll Party with Imelda May... It's a tie).

Worst: Peter Paul and Mary (I went with my mother, and the sound guy was having major issues with working with a trio... he couldn't get the levels right, and it totally ruined the harmonies).

Best is tough. Falls into a couple categories:

Most amazing group all in one place: I worked in event planning for Jazz at Lincoln Center in NYC. We had a fundraiser concert/dinner that had Willie Nelson, Ray Charles, BB King, Eric Clapton all performing with the Wynton Marsalis Septet. Original plan was for each to perform individually, but they got together on stage and played a few songs together. Honestly the rehearsals where they all had their guard down and were just goofing off were better than the final concert to me.

Best vibe: VooDoo Fest in New Orleans, 2005. The original massive festival wasn't going to happen due to the hurricane but Nine Inch Nails, Cowboy Mouth and a handful of other groups still came together to perform a free day long festival. It wasn't the best music I've ever heard, but it was by far the most amazing overall feeling I've had at a music performance. This was October/November or so and large groups of people were finally making it back into town and looking for a way to have a good time amid all the destruction.

Worst: This could be any of a number. My roommate in college worked for the Cincinnati Symphony and got free tickets to everything produced the Riverbed Music Center. Saw some fun shows, Bela Fleck, Dave Matthews, Jimmy Buffet, but also saw shows like Spice Girls, Hanson, Riverdance, etc. We were broke, so we never turned down a free ticket to anything!
Killing threads since 2004.

Worst: Peter Paul and Mary (I went with my mother, and the sound guy was having major issues with working with a trio... he couldn't get the levels right, and it totally ruined the harmonies).

The 2nd time we saw the Dropkick Murphys was in a new, larger venue. The sound sucked big time, and I almost swore off that venue entirely. But we saw them again, same venue, the next time they were in town, and the sound was great. After the show I thanked the new sound guys for fixing the problems. They seemed aware that there had been some problems in the past.

Hi Krisanne, Remember all of us catching the Social D show with the SuperSuckers opening? That was a fun night. B|

Yeah it was. You made a great wingman. :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Some of the more 'interesting' concert experiences I had~

I saw ELVIS on my birthday in '76!

I worked security at concerts while in college, Jethro Tull came on and were SO BAD they were getting BOOed 20 minutes into the show...someone hit Ian Anderson with a Mad-Dog 2020 bottle and the band left the stage. The place was about to riot when the warm-up band came back on and ROCKED THE HOUSE for two more hours straight!
...the warm up band was a little known import from across the pond called U2 B|

:ph34r:

I can "almost" match that U-2 story.
I saw U-2 back in 1983 in some dump of an old movie theatre in Washington DC..we were waiting in a line out in the freezing cold, and some rag ass dude tried to sell us some heroin - it was that kind of neighborhod.. U-2 were traveling in a bus and had just released their second album. They didn't have much material but they were great.

Best:
Bruce Springsteen at VA Tech Buruss Auditorium in 1975 . He had just made the cover of Time and Newsweek, and we were seeing him in something not much bigger than a high school auditorium. Neils Lofgren and his band happened to be in town that night playing a local cafe, and after the show Bruce jammed with him late into the night.

Second best: Grace Potter and the Nocturnals on Brown's Island in Richmond last summer...for free!!!
Gawd she can rock. And that lead guitar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4bCnoqutHk

Worst:
I actually walked out of the Ramones...not because they were bad...but after the first three numbers...every song sounded the same.

------------------------------------------------------------ In Reply To

Best Jazz: Pat Metheny Group.

------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, yeah!!! (where is the thumbs-up emoticon?)
I've been a Pat Metheny fan ever since this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8NvhdFde_g

------------------------------------------------------------

Oh Yes.

Fandango.

A must see for any jumper..."and those will be."

The 2nd time we saw the Dropkick Murphys was in a new, larger venue. The sound sucked big time, and I almost swore off that venue entirely. But we saw them again, same venue, the next time they were in town, and the sound was great. After the show I thanked the new sound guys for fixing the problems. They seemed aware that there had been some problems in the past.

I REALLY wanna see dropkick. They are by far one of my favs.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I JUST missed them (days) in orlando when they came through florida. Sucked. Next time!!! :)

Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Worst show ever: Metallica and Guns'n'Roses Aug 8th 1992 @ the Big O in Montreal... The one where James Hetfeild had pyros blow up in his face and after a 2:30 hour wait Axl Rose told the crowd to fuck off and just left a couple songs in, I was 14 and not at all supposed to be in riot lol

Best Shows: Pink Floyd, Stones, Roger Waters were all great but I kinda like to get wild and small shows like The Koffin Kats and The Brains are among my favs lately... PsychoBilly Rocks!!!