airtwardo

Best & Worst ~ concerts you've attended?

I hate to say it, but Aerosmith, The "babe fest" of 97' I think....There were so many chicks that they were just whistling at us grabbing our asses as we walked by and asking if they could feel us up...I mean seriously....wtf? I'd be gay not to mention that one....

But the best concert of all was getting "kicked out" of the last Black Sabbath show with Ozzie at the Palace with Pantera for storming the stage...It's only by the grace of God that the memory still remains in my brain...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Hell, pin me down to 1 best and 1 worst?

Best:
Pink Floyd, National Guard Armory, Tampa FL, 1972
Played Meddle with bits from Ummaumma and early parts of what was later to become known as Dark Side of the Moon. Never saw live pyro on stage before.:o:)
Worst:
Well, it wasn't the concert itself but just one of the bands that played.
Uriah Heep, Speyer Festival, Speyer, Germany, 1972
Band was falling down drunk and got booed off the stage and got pelted with bottles and garbage.

Honorable mentions

Best:
Led Zeppelin, Tampa Stadium, 1973 (I believe...it was the concert a couple of years before the Zep show that ended with a riot when they left the stage following a storm and got concerts banned from the stadium for a few years.)

Any Pink Floyd....saw them 11 times between here and Europe.

Any Deep Purple. One tight, high quality, kick-ass band. Set aside a couple of the personalities and they couldn't be beat on stage.

Jesus Christ Superstar, Civic Auditorium, Asbury Park, NJ, 1971 with Yvonne Elliman and Murray Head.

Worst:
Savoy Brown, Brownsville, Tx, 1985?
I'm sorry. I don't know what it was. The band just sucked big time.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Jesus Christ Superstar, Civic Auditorium, Asbury Park, NJ, 1971 with Yvonne Elliman and Murray Head

Saw it in Chicago, one of the 1st nights after opening there...sucked big time. Don't know if it was the 'original' cast but they definitely were not 'on' that night...it was SO bad my sister who bought the tickets apologized all the way home! :ph34r:

But it still doesn't hold a candle to the Boston concert at the U of I for worst ever...a jumping buddy drove 120 miles down with his GF, 1/2 way through the concert we just went out to the car, twisted one up and listened to Boston on the 8 track in the parking lot! :D:S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Worth a mention for best: Humble Pie and Foghat at Big Surf in AZ around 71 or 72; Dylan Rolling Thunder in Lakeland, FL 1976 w/ Baez, McGuinn, Scarlet Rivera's Fiddle; BB King at Tampa Theatre. He just finished a tour with U2 and had voice problems but the concert was pretty good anyway. Also, Elton John in Lakeland about 10 years ago. If you ever get a chance to see him solo with no band and no prearranged program, DO IT! Can't remember a "worst" ...may be a reason for that. I dunno.:S Also, Chicago. ...And Pink Floyd in Tampa and ... and.....:)

Almost forgot my 1st concert: Beach Boys w/Buffalo Springfield and Strawberry Alarm Clock. Buffalo Springfield stole the show, IMO.

Almost forgot my 1st concert: Beach Boys w/Buffalo Springfield and Strawberry Alarm Clock. Buffalo Springfield stole the show, IMO.

Buffalo Springfield...oh, yeah!

Didn't get to see BF but did get to see Stephen Stills when with Manassas. Jai Alai fronton, Tampa, 1973?.
Kick-ass.
Best part was they took a short break to set up for the second half of the show....Stills solo with, I guess, 12 guitars lined up behind him and he played solo and used all 12 at least once. 4 hour show...they just don't do that anymore.

Side story:
At the beginning of the show, Stills came out wearing the football jersey of one of the local high schools.
Stills went to school in Tampa had this to say:

"I just want my high school band teacher, who wouldn't let me conduct his band, to know that I've conducted the London Philharmonic Orchestra".
LOLOLOL

Worst:
Well, it wasn't the concert itself but just one of the bands that played.
Uriah Heep,

Hey, you and I just picked the same worst.:D We walked out of their show in SLC back in the late 70s. They just plain ole sucked.

I've gotten to see a lot of good shows over the years. This year we had a great time in Seattle as the Presidents of the United States rocked the Showbox, Really a fun show. Also caught The Melvins doing a double set at Hell's Kitchen in Tacoma. Both just local bands, but really good music and a great time.

Wendy mentioned Zappa earlier. I got to see him twice in the mid 70s at a smaller venue with great acoustics. That man knew how to lead a band and put on a show. :)

Best - Billy Joel. Some other guy named Elton John played that night and Billy Joel just wiped the floor with him. Close second is Eagles on Second Night of reunionm they OPENED with Hotel California.

Worst - Kansas. They sucked live.

I like the Eagles. Saw their Long Road Out Of Eden tour. All I can say is tank God for Joe Walsh. Otherwise I would have thought I was at the wax museum listening to the best of the Eagles. Come on guys have a little fun. Joe rocked the house.

Worst: RUSH First time I saw them was in 1980 and it sucked. I like RUSH so over the years (still in the eighties) I gave them two more chances. Sucked and sucked again.

Best: Pink Floyd (with Roger) not that thing they call Pink Floyd now.

Honorable mention: The Who, Little Feat, Aerosmith, Bowie, Elton John

Buffalo Springfield...oh, yeah!

Didn't get to see BF but did get to see Stephen Stills when with Manassas. Jai Alai fronton, Tampa, 1973?.
Kick-ass.
Best part was they took a short break to set up for the second half of the show....Stills solo with, I guess, 12 guitars lined up behind him and he played solo and used all 12 at least once. 4 hour show...they just don't do that anymore.

Side story:
At the beginning of the show, Stills came out wearing the football jersey of one of the local high schools.
Stills went to school in Tampa had this to say:

"I just want my high school band teacher, who wouldn't let me conduct his band, to know that I've conducted the London Philharmonic Orchestra".
LOLOLOL

Never saw CSNY or Poco after Springfield break-up, but became a fan of both. (I actually prefer later Poco with Timothy B. Schmit and Paul Cotton - Rose of Cimarron live sample:)

My favorite concerts have been ones with Slipknot either headlining or playing. First one I saw was Mudvayne and Slipknot, which was amazing. Another was at the Rockstar Mayhem Fest a couple years ago with Slipknot playing early evening. Perfect time of the day for a mosh pit.

Worst concert was at the same music fest, the Rockstar Mayhem Fest. Disturbed played. As much as I enjoy some of their music, they were one of the most boring bands to ever see live. Dragonforce also played at that music fest. Both bands just stood in one spot singing / playing guitar. With Dragonforce's guitar players, I can understand why they can't move, and must focus on having a seizure with their hands on the guitar strings and making it into somewhat of a rhythmic pattern. Disturbed has no excuses. They just aren't very good live.

As for someone mentioning that NOFX was their favorite concert... I heard they suck live. ;-)

My favorite concerts have been ones with Slipknot either headlining or playing. First one I saw was Mudvayne and Slipknot, which was amazing. Another was at the Rockstar Mayhem Fest a couple years ago with Slipknot playing early evening. Perfect time of the day for a mosh pit.

Worst concert was at the same music fest, the Rockstar Mayhem Fest. Disturbed played. As much as I enjoy some of their music, they were one of the most boring bands to ever see live. Dragonforce also played at that music fest. Both bands just stood in one spot singing / playing guitar. With Dragonforce's guitar players, I can understand why they can't move, and must focus on having a seizure with their hands on the guitar strings and making it into somewhat of a rhythmic pattern. Disturbed has no excuses. They just aren't very good live.

As for someone mentioning that NOFX was their favorite concert... I heard they suck live. ;-)

Never heard of any of these bands! Did they ever play on the Ed Sullivan Show? :)

I forgot he was from Tampa.

Well, he's not actually from Tampa. His mobile family was just passing through for a few years during his high school days.

but you're right about the solo work.
:)

I never really had the money to go to concerts but the (to me) best concert I ever attended was 'The Rolling Stones: Bridges to Babylon' Texas Speedway Fort Worth. My wife got the tickets through a radio call-in contest. It was a looong wait from the first time I saw them on Ed Sullivan!:D

Willie Nelson in Odessa, Texas was another great one.

Chuck

Best Concert(s):

1995 Pink Floyd (without Roger Watters) in a large outdoor stadium.
2007 Pink Floyd (with Watters no Gilmour) in an indoor stadium.
1982 Stevie Ray Vaughan at a small indoor venue.

Worst Concert?

1988 Motorhead opened up for Alice Cooper
(AC was awesome, Motorhead was too loud).

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Best: Blue Oyster Cult, sometime in the 70's. It would take a book to describe it.

Worst: James Taylor. Might as well put up a card board cut out of the guy and play his album.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

St is a 3 way tie between green day, alkaline trio, and job for a cowboy.

Green day and alkaline trio just absolutely command energy from tw crowd whih adds to the performance immensely. Job for a cowboy thre one of te biggest, baddest, harshest mosh pits ive ever seen. Prolly 400 people packed in a little venup designed for less than half that. The ENTIRE place was a pit wheather you liked it or not(personally LOVED it) and it was a REAL pit. Not this seizin cat flailing around pussy shit going on at metal shows today.

Worst bands....oh jesus that list is long. At the top is BUTCHER PRIEST tho. Some no name hack band, terrible all around performance. Jus a bunch o idiots.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Best: Pink Floyd at RFK Stadium in DC. Just an amazing experience, and hearing Dark Side of the Moon live didn't suck either. The jackwagon "helping" Nick Mason with percussion really wasn't necessary.

Worst: The Cars. Wang Chung opened, and as bad as they are/were, The Cars were worse.

Honorable Mention: Benny Goodman. Not my type of music, but I went with my Dad who is a Clarinetist. One of those times I'm glad now I was able to spent some time with Pop, even if I didn't appreciate it at the time.
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

Best: Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Bill Wyman, Jeff Beck, Andy Fairweather Lowe. At The Ronnie Lane Appeal for Arms Concert at the Royal Albert Hall In London in 83 or 84. Box seats right above the stage. Prince Charles and Lady Diana were in attendance.

Close seconds: Kiss or Alice Cooper for their stage shows. Also Rush and ACDC are very close. Oh yea, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Shit it's hard to pick the best. They were all good. Oh yea, ZZ Top, all four times.

Worst: I love Marshall Tucker Band but in the late 80's sometime I walked out of their show cuz the music sucked and they just didn't seem to give a shit.

The wife and I went and seen Elton John last week. 2nd row seats, 20 feet from his Grand Piano. He came on stage and rocked the house for 3 solid hours without a break. I have to say that it was a great show. Up with the best I've seen. Even got to shake the mans hand and got an autograph. I was throughly impressed at how humble the man is. He knows and shows that it is his fans that put him where he is today.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

The most surprisingly good concert was:

Asleep At The Wheel

Ray Benson and the boys are really, and I mean REALLY, a fun show and they have fun doing what they do. And it's unbelievable just how tight they are....every one of them are top-tier musicians.

If you like Texas Swing, you'll love Asleep At The Wheel. If you don't like Texas Swing now, you will after the show.

The most surprisingly good concert was:

Asleep At The Wheel

Ray Benson and the boys are really, and I mean REALLY, a fun show and they have fun doing what they do. And it's unbelievable just how tight they are....every one of them are top-tier musicians.

If you like Texas Swing, you'll love Asleep At The Wheel. If you don't like Texas Swing now, you will after the show.

Another good show is... 'Alvin Crow and the Pleasant Valley Boys'. Another Texas Swing band. Saw them at 'The Broken Spoke' in Austin. I've seen them with Asleep at the Wheel... heckuva show.

Chuck