airtwardo

Best & Worst ~ concerts you've attended?

I must say the worst one was when my cousin from FL called to tell me about a clandestine rock concert in OH.
A buddy and I drove there from IN.
It was being held in a farm field that was hidden from view of the road by a hill.
To find it, you had to know to drive a certain distance from an intersection, then drive into the field between two grain bins.
Once you topped the hill, you could look down into the valley where the concert was.

Bad: The band never showed.

Worse: Waking up at 2am in my sleeping bag because a cop was shining a flashlight in my face.
The cops checked everyones ID; Busted the underage ones, (and the ones with dope on them), then sent everyone else on their way.
A bunch of us managed to find a friendly freak's pad to crash in for the remainder of the night.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I must say the worst one was when my cousin from FL called to tell me about a clandestine rock concert in OH.
A buddy and I drove there from IN.
It was being held in a farm field that was hidden from view of the road by a hill.
To find it, you had to know to drive a certain distance from an intersection, then drive into the field between two grain bins.
Once you topped the hill, you could look down into the valley where the concert was.

Bad: The band never showed.

First the good news : best was Paul McCartney, 1990 at the Seattle Kingdome. Honorable mention to any number of Grateful Dead shows, 1970 - '95.

Your story reminds me of a similar concert in upstate NY in 1972. I was 16. The WORD was that John Lennon had agreed to play. The farm it was held on was overrun with a huge crowd on a beautiful Saturday. A whole list of considerable local talent played all day and into the evening. But there was not a drop of water to be had - and beer only makes your thirst worse. Acid didn't help much either. A helicopter landed and a couple - she was a distinctly Asian looking chic - stepped out. But it wasn't them.

Lennon never showed, the whole thing was a hoax. The promoter was found shagging some chick in the back of an ambulance and the cops arrested him for anything they could think of. Somehow I managed to hitch hike home that night

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

• Best : Pink Floyd : Dark Side of the moon (my 1st ever concert)

• Worst : John Martin : He was high as a kite and/or pissed - so much so he nearly fell off stage - I walked out.

(.)Y(.)
    Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Some of the more 'interesting' concert experiences I had~

I saw ELVIS on my birthday in '76!

I worked security at concerts while in college, Jethro Tull came on and were SO BAD they were getting BOOed 20 minutes into the show...someone hit Ian Anderson with a Mad-Dog 2020 bottle and the band left the stage. The place was about to riot when the warm-up band came back on and ROCKED THE HOUSE for two more hours straight!
    ...the warm up band was a little known import from across the pond called U2 B|

Got wasted with Harry Chapin & crew backstage TWICE! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Best - Billy Joel. Some other guy named Elton John played that night and Billy Joel just wiped the floor with him. Close second is Eagles on Second Night of reunionm they OPENED with Hotel California.

Worst - Kansas. They sucked live.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The place was about to riot when the warm-up band came back on and ROCKED THE HOUSE for two more hours straight!

So did those guys ever have any commercial success?:|
    :ph34r:
    "There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The place was about to riot when the warm-up band came back on and ROCKED THE HOUSE for two more hours straight!

So did those guys ever have any commercial success?:|
    :ph34r:

I seem to recall they put something on the charts a time or two...not really sure though. :):ph34r:

I use to hit a bar that had a house band that later made the charts a time or two as well...REO Speedwagon.

• Best : Pink Floyd : Dark Side of the moon (my 1st ever concert)

• Worst : John Martin : He was high as a kite and/or pissed - so much so he nearly fell off stage - I walked out.

• That WOULD suck, set the bar that high...damn hard to beat Dark Side! B|

Growing up in the Cleveland area we were treated to the World Series of Rock events at the old Cleveland stadium. Best was definitely Pink Floyd's Animals tour. Can't really recall having seen a bad show anywhere. Buffett has lost alot of the small amount of musical ability he was given but those concerts are more of a cultural event than a concert.
    Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

1976- Ted Nugent cracked the walls in Memorial Auditorium in Sacramento. I was there , it was great. Same concert....Rush....Totally great..... Best stage show ever,The Tubes. No Shit........... The worst,The Grateful Dead. I like the music, but on stage, they suck, even with the pot brownies we ate.
    Life is short ... jump often.

Best: tie between U2/No Doubt @ the Staples Center and Springsteen @ the LA Coliseum.

Worst: Dokken last year. He can't carry a tune in a wheelbarrow. Sad.

Honorable mention: Rolling Stones/Stone Temple Pilots @ Toronto.

And Bruno Brokken and Regan Tetlow @ Crazy Canucks beach bar, Belize!B|

Best: Day on the Green at Oakland Coliseum ~1979. AC/DC, Cheap Trick, BOC, Journey, and Ted.

Worst: The Who in Seattle because we were sitting pretty much behind the stage.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
    -NickDG

Worth a mention for best: Humble Pie and Foghat at Big Surf in AZ around 71 or 72; Dylan Rolling Thunder in Lakeland, FL 1976 w/ Baez, McGuinn, Scarlet Rivera's Fiddle; BB King at Tampa Theatre. He just finished a tour with U2 and had voice problems but the concert was pretty good anyway. Also, Elton John in Lakeland about 10 years ago. If you ever get a chance to see him solo with no band and no prearranged program, DO IT! Can't remember a "worst" ...may be a reason for that. I dunno.:S Also, Chicago. ...And Pink Floyd in Tampa and ... and.....:)

Worth a mention for best: Humble Pie and Foghat at Big Surf in AZ around 71 or 72; Dylan Rolling Thunder in Lakeland, FL 1976 w/ Baez, McGuinn, Scarlet Rivera's Fiddle; BB King at Tampa Theatre. He just finished a tour with U2 and had voice problems but the concert was pretty good anyway. Also, Elton John in Lakeland about 10 years ago. If you ever get a chance to see him solo with no band and no prearranged program, DO IT! Can't remember a "worst" ...may be a reason for that. I dunno.:S Also, Chicago. ...And Pink Floyd in Tampa and ... and.....:)

WOW...you have BTDT! B|

Always wanted to see Dylan, never had the chance.

The 'last' concert I went to here in the states was several years back in L.A.

Some kind of benefit deal that a friend called me with tickets for...hour later we were on a plane to LAX, that night 2nd row for Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Tom Petty, Sheryl Crow, Blues Travelers...& several others, Tom Hanks was the M.C.
    ~~ GREAT SHOW!

Best was either Janis Ian about 3 years ago, or Frank Zappa in 1973. Both were absolutely amazing. Of course, I can go see Janis Ian again...

Worst? I haven't seen enough to have a serious worse, unless you count a high school band concert that was notable for just how loud, and how fast, they played the Lone Ranger Overture.

When you play it loud and fast enough, it's the Lone Ranger Overture, and not the William Tell Overture :P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

......unless you count a high school band concert ....

Wendy P.

Oh! If you wanna include those concerts then I'll change my answer. The best concert I've ever seen was my son's 2nd grade chorus at a school function.:) All others fall somewhere in between.

Best: U2 Unforgettable Fire tour at the Cow Palace in San Francisco about 1984

Worst: Prince Purple Rain tour at the Cow Palace in S.F. about 2 weeks later.

Honorable Mention: Nine Inch Nails and Jane's Addiction in Los Angeles around '92.
    Card carrying member of the
    Nanny State Liberation Front

Best : another vote for Nugent, both with the Amboy Dukes and later with his own band.....the guy just knows how to jack up an audience

Worst : another vote for Boston......MAJOR dissappointment.....some of them were actually sitting on stools at various times during the concert. I don't know if they had a rough night the night before, but I didn't pay good money and take 3 Qualudes to watch some guys sitting on stools playing guitars. >:(

Don

"When in doubt I whip it out,
    I got me a rock-and-roll band.
    It's a free-for-all."

Best - The Who in Saskatoon in 1968

Worst - The Rolling Stones in Pontiac Michigan in 1981...not the Stones fault tough. I went down to this concert on a tour bus from Stratford, ON. The tour guy left the tickets in Stratford and didn't realize it until we were a long ways away. Before cell phones we were driving here and there while he made phone calls and promised us the tickets were coming. My buddy and I wound up scalping a couple of tickets to get in. We arrived in the Silverdome just as Santana finished their set...after having missed them Iggy Pop and George Thorogood. >:(

The place was packed. We wound up as far from the stage as a person could get in the Silverdome. It was just a fucking bummer of a night.

Best - 25 years later, the Rolling Stones come to Regina, Saskatchewan and I spent 500 bucks on a 12th row ticket. Worth every penny and just an awesome show they put on!

--
    Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Lollapalooza: 1994

Main Stage: The Smashing Pumpkins, Beastie Boys, George Clinton & the P.Funk All-Stars, The Breeders, A Tribe Called Quest, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, L7, Boredoms (first half of tour), Green Day (second half)

Side Stage: The Flaming Lips, The Verve, The Boo Radleys, The Frogs (first six dates only), Guided by Voices, Lambchop, Girls Against Boys, Rollerskate Skinny, Palace Songs, Stereolab, FU-Schnickens, The Pharcyde, Shudder To Think, Luscious Jackson, King Kong, Charlie Hunter Trio, Shonen Knife, Blast Off Country Style, Souls of Mischief, Cypress Hill, Black Crowes

The Smashing Pumpkins and Beastie Boys were by far the best.
    *I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
    ----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----