FlyingJ

Dealing with difficult situations...to each their own.

I think about this often and again just now after seeing a couple of the comments in the colonoscopy thread.

In general I think folks could stand to lighten up a little and realize that everyone deals with difficult topics in different ways. If laughing about it isn't your way of dealing with it then so be it, that's up to you, but that's no reason to to suggest that someone else is wrong for dealing with it in their way. I find being around someone unable to find some kind of humor during the toughest times unbearable to be around. Just because I am able to work through such a time in a more lighthearted manner doesn't mean I care any less and it doesn't mean I think you are wrong for dealing with it in your way.

From a personal standpoint...I have been involved in disaster relief from the most minute of personal "disasters" as seen on a daily basis working in EMS to standing next to someone watching their house burn in a wildfire after being told we had done everything we could to protect it and had to pull out. I've been on the front lines of response to hurricanes doing everything from search and rescue to sheltering to financial distribution to tree removal/roof tarping. I have seen every response an individual can have in this situation but never have I seen affected people recover faster than when they allow a bit of humor into their life.

The next time you feel the need to tell someone that you think their way of dealing with a situation is wrong, think just for a second about the fact that we are all individuals and we all have different ways of dealing with "the bad stuff" in life.

Edit:

And PS...if you think some jokes about a colonoscopy are bad, invite yourself to join a group of medics or ER nurses for a meal and see what passes for dinner table conversation. ;)
Killing threads since 2004.

Amen. There's a reason I chose my current sig line - it fits well with how I deal with challenging situations in my own life. Find the humor in the situation, no matter how dark, and run with it. When I was being taken by ALS to the local trauma center after I got hit by a car, I loved the fact that during the short drive the medic asked if I wanted a song or dance or a comedy routine to keep me entertained. B|

Of course, when helping others through their challenges, you've got to be able to read their reaction; some will welcome humor, others will find it uncomfortable. But figuring that out is just basic empathy.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Definitely adding that quote to my list of favorites.

I agree that there is a time and place for everything. I start every EMS call with the line "So, aside from the fact that you just called 911, how's it going?" People often get so worked up and freaked out about being sick/hurt that more often than not it lightens people up just enough to relax a little and maybe take some of the psycholigical mind game out of the picture.

Of course, 1 in 10 or so just think I'm a moron, but I'll take that that percentage any day.

Of course, 1 in 10 or so just think I'm a moron

Dang -- how can I get that good an average???

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Wendy P.

Don't give me too much credit. I failed to mention that 6 of the remaining 9 are unconscious. ;)

Wendy P.

Don't give me too much credit. I failed to mention that 6 of the remaining 9 are unconscious. ;)

Now that's funny
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720