micduran

what is your favorite brand of charcoal

It has been years since I've grilled with charcoal and I finally got a charcoal/propane combo grill!

So, I have two questions.

1. What is your favorite charcoal brand for everyday grilling?
2. And, if you use a "high end" charcoal for special occasions/foods what brand is it?
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

It has been years since I've grilled with charcoal and I finally got a charcoal/propane combo grill!

So, I have two questions.

1. What is your favorite charcoal brand for everyday grilling?
2. And, if you use a "high end" charcoal for special occasions/foods what brand is it?

You can't go wrong with Kingsford or Royal Oaks
Skymama stalker #69!!!!

That funny taste is why I like my charcoal chimney for getting it lit. :)
I rarely use charcoal anymore, but when I do, I use the bargain stuff and add real wood chips for flavor. I got a propane smoker this year, so I've been doing ribs, roasts, fish and foul in that a lot.

I second the advice that if you are going to use "match light" or even just add lighter fluid on your own to make sure it thoroughly burns off before cooking. Nothing more disappointing than a delicious hunk of meet being pulled off the grill only to taste like lighter fluid.

We just got an awesome charcoal/propane/infrared combo that is amazing. We have the charcoal when time allows and the propane for quick cooking. It's a whole new world!
Killing threads since 2004.

I like the black stuff. Seriously, Cowboy charcoal (maybe find it at Lowes). And did you know that Kingsford brand was started by Henry Ford as a way to use wood waste from the Ford car factory.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

For my hookah, I use 100% mesquite chunks.

For my smoker, I use the Kingsford competition brand. When the quality of your charcoal determines how long you can sleep before getting up to add more coals, you don't fuck around with 50% clay or whatever that garbage is.

MMMMMMMMMMM BBQ!!!

Haha! That is the exact Mesquite charcoal I use for my hookah.

Dude, you must be from the bay area, you gotta go check out that company. They are in Brisbane, and their building is a very very old steam locomotive repair yard, SUPER cool if you dig old buildings and architecture. Also, you can buy right from them, at about half the price of what you find at local places.

The reason I don't use them for my smoker, is that the coals tend to burn quite a bit hotter, and don't last as long. Great for grilling though.

Grab some wood chips while you are there, they have a great selection.

Thanks all.
I am familiar with Cowboy brand. Very good stuff. And will definitely look into Lazzari.
And I do have the charcoal starter tower. There is nothing worse that ruining a great piece of meat with the fuel flavor.

Happy grilling everyone.

p.s. Rich - this grill is WAY too big to take to SDA. Who is doing the cooking there these days?
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.