futuredivot

Just because you ride the bus to school

:D:D:D

Yeah, nothing gets me goin more than that asshole who doesnt know why the alarm rang when they have pockets full off crap. Yes, take your shoes off! Empty pockets! NO you cannot have that gallon jug of shampoo! Fucking idiots!

I hate airports! Funny since I work at one. Good thing I don't wont at the terminal. I think I would have lost it long ago and been fired.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Does qualify you for the "Expert Traveler" line at the airport. There is nothing about that little sign that suggests a family of 4 with a stroller should be there

Did you mean "doesn't"?

There's nothing about that sign that suggests they should not be there either. As long as the parents understand the rules and ensure that the kids will pass through security quickly without interruptions, then there's no reason for them not to be in that line. So it's not about "family", it's about preparedness for the security procedures. Right?

Someone should have a 'Traveling 101' course..."Common Courtesy on the Crowd Killer".

Start out with how to DRIVE at airports, I understand many people don't go near one all that often...but read the signs, don't drive @ 5mph in a 35 zone, don't cross 3 lanes with no blinker, don't 'unload passengers' in the middle of the through way...

Moving walkways are WALKWAYS...understandable if you are handicapped to just stand, but young health people standing there slack jawed and silly eyed like it's a Disneyland ride, blocking 100 people from moving along... are idiots.

Belt, watch, coins, shoes...it's not rocket surgery, quit taking the stuff out one piece at a time and trying to get through...again & again. :S

Keep your eyes open and keep moving, stopping with a bunch of luggage in the middle of a passageway with 1000 people behind you is stupid.

On the plane...stow your shit & sit down, there are 300 people behind you going down a 22" isle, trying to do the same.

The seat back in front of you is NOT a punching bag, it's the back of my seat...when walking down the isle, it OR my head are NOT handrails!

You've been walking 1/2 the day, please keep your shoes on and your feet off my the back of my headrest.

When the main cabin door is closed, turn off the phone, buckle up, count the rows to the nearest exit and wait...sorry if you gotta go potty while taxiing, should have thought of that before.

When you hear the Ding Ding after take-off, that only means you're at 10 grand and it's no longer a 'sterile cockpit'...it DOESN'T mean get up and start dancing in the isles, look at the seat belt sign.

If I'm working on my lap-top, watching a movie or sleeping...that means I don't want to interact with you. I really couldn't care less what color junior's poop is this week.

~speakin' of poop:

Ladies...there are 3 restrooms for 300 people, don't take 20 minutes to put make-up on. If ya thought about what a petri dish of germs that closet is, you wouldn't go in there at all!

You are allowed two SMALL carry-ons, the box the fridge came in doesn't quality.

~a real hassle saver is having a SMALL bag with everything you may need in flight, pre-packed.
Headset, iPod, book, snacks, meds, blow-up pillow...whatever.

Stuff THAT under the seat in front of you, getting up every 3 minutes to shuffle through the refrigerator box over my head for your bag of month old is jelly-bellies is nerve racking...especially when you drop the anvil ya got for Aunt Jenny's birthday present, on my head - TWICE! :S

Anything else? :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Someone should have a 'Traveling 101' course..."Coping & Courtesy on the Crowd Killer".

Start out with how to DRIVE at airports, I understand many people don't go near one all that often...but read the signs, don't drive @ 5mph in a 35 zone, don't cross 3 lanes with no blinker, don't 'unload passengers' in the middle of the through way...

Moving walkways are WALKWAYS...understandable if you are handicapped to just stand, but young health people standing there slack jawed and silly eyed like it's a Disneyland ride, blocking 100 people from moving along... are idiots.

Belt, watch, coins, shoes...it's not rocket surgery, quit taking the stuff out one piece at a time and trying to get through...again & again. :S

Keep your eyes open and keep moving, stopping with a bunch of luggage in the middle of a passageway with 1000 people behind you is stupid.

On the plane...stow your shit & sit down, there are 300 people behind you going down a 22" isle, trying to do the same.

The seat back in front of you is NOT a punching bag, it's the back of my seat...when walking down the isle, it OR my head are NOT handrails!

You've been walking 1/2 the day, please keep your shoes on and your feet off my the back of my headrest.

When the main cabin door is closed, turn off the phone, buckle up, count the rows to the nearest exit and wait...sorry if you gotta go potty while taxiing, should have thought of that before.

When you hear the Ding Ding after take-off, that only means you're at 10 grand and it's no longer a 'sterile cockpit'...it DOESN'T mean get up and start dancing in the isles, look at the seat belt sign.

If I'm working on my lap-top, watching a movie or sleeping...that means I don't want to interact with you. I really couldn't care less what color junior's poop is this week.

~speakin' of poop:

Ladies...there are 3 restrooms for 300 people, don't take 20 minutes to put make-up on. If ya thought about what a petri dish of germs that closet is, you wouldn't go in there at all!

You are allowed two SMALL carry-ons, the box the fridge came in doesn't quality.

~a real hassle saver is having a SMALL bag with everything you may need in flight, pre-packed.
Headset, iPod, book, snacks, meds, blow-up pillow...whatever.

Stuff THAT under the seat in front of you, getting up every 3 minutes to shuffle through the refrigerator box over my head for your bag of month old is jelly-bellies is nerve racking...especially when you drop the anvil ya got for Aunt Jenny's birthday present, on my head - TWICE! :S

Anything else? :ph34r:

Yea...check that fuckin' suitcase bitch! The number of carryons is not related to how special you think you are.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Someone should have a 'Traveling 101' course..."

That you Twardo! My wife hates flyin with me. Everything can be goin great but as soon as we get to the airport stupid people come out of nowhere and then I get pissed! I almost hate to fly anymore just because od these asshats. It's not hard to fly in general. It's hard to do it with fucking MORONS all over.

I always say people are weird. As soon as they step onto airport property simple tasks become impossible.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

There's nothing about that sign that suggests they should not be there either.

Agreed. I've seen many examples of women trqveling with multiple children who were much more efficient at getting through the line than even seasoned business travelers.

It's all about preparedness and attitiude......a lot of people couldn't care less about the inconvenience they heap upon others.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

especially when you drop the anvil ya got for Aunt Jenny's birthday present, on my head - TWICE!

A few years ago my brother was on a flight to Ireland and a bottle of Whisky fell out of the overhead and cracked a guys skullB|. Still a funny way to get a drink injury in that country.

I feel Divots pain though, I don't know why people can't prepare and follow instructions. But I do think children under the age of 5 should be put on the no fly list - I always seem to have a screamer within a couple of rows.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

***But I do think children under the age of 5 should be put on the no fly list - I always seem to have a screamer within a couple of rows.

It's all about preparedness. I have travelled with both infant, small child, and both by myself. Long flights (trans-Pacific, trans-continental). Never have my children been a disturbance. I have also been deplaning and had people exclaim "I didn't even know there were any kids on this flight, I never heard a peep". All without the aid of DVDs and other electronic devices.

I have always had more activities than there was possible time to do. Their favorite snacks help. Knowing that blowing in baby's ears keeps them from hurting, and lollipops to suck on when they are older.

Again, it's all about preparedness.

lisa
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

There's nothing about that sign that suggests they should not be there either.

Wrong-one person, one small bag, not 6 people, two strollers (prams)

So a husband and wife pair shouldn't qualify as "expert travelers", just because they're flying together?

So a husband and wife pair shouldn't qualify as "expert travelers", just because they're flying together?

Nope, You have to be dressed in a knee-length dress, have relatively decent legs, and only have one small bag (wait, I looked at it again, and it's big and bulky).

How are your legs, and are you willing to wear a dress?

lisa
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

not 6 people, two strollers (prams)

Sorry if i pissed in your cornflakes, but waiting for soccer mom to fish through her purse for everyone's boarding pass and arguing about the Costco barrel of lotion in hr carry on does mean they are not expert travelers and shouldn't be in my way...ok , and I don't really care about your cornflakes, it just seemed to be the polite thing to say
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

not 6 people, two strollers (prams)

Sorry if i pissed in your cornflakes, but waiting for soccer mom to fish through her purse for everyone's boarding pass and arguing about the Costco barrel of lotion in hr carry on does mean they are not expert travelers and shouldn't be in my way...ok , and I don't really care about your cornflakes, it just seemed to be the polite thing to say

Has Shah hijacked your account?:D:D
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Hi Lisa - I was wondering if there were any other tips you could share with me. I am a "seasoned traveler" but will soon be traveling with a 3 month old baby for the first time and would love to be able to learn from your experience.
I have never heard of the blowing in their ears - what, when, why?? How do you keep an infant entertained on a transatlantic flight? How do you prevent/stop incessant crying?
Like I said - I would really appreciate your advice!
Big thanks,
Nick

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

Hi Nick,

Very often kids will cry constantly because their ears hurt. Babies and young kids can't equalize the pressure in their own ears, because they can't do the yawn/swallowing trick. Blowing in their ears often and repeatedly, especially when ascending/descending will help. Feeding (bottle or breast) or giving a pacifier helps, and when they get old enough, the sucker will do the job.

A bored child isn't happy, so plan lots of small things, short books, drawing supplies, short games. It's amazing how much time can be taken blowing up small balloons. As for keeping an infant happy, be prepared to hold it for the entire flight. If you are traveling with a baby and an older one, enlist the older one as "helper". Even a three-year-old will behave better if they think their job is to help "entertain" the baby. :)

Plan your travel time carefully if possible. Short flights are better earlier in the morning when the likelihood of melt downs are less because they are fresh. Long flights work well in the middle of the night when maybe there is a chance that they will sleep. I got lucky coming back from Hawaii (10pm flight) when my 18 month old fell asleep in the car on the way to the airport, stayed asleep for the entire flight, and woke up as we were getting in the taxi. My six-year-old fell asleep shortly after take off and we woke her for landing so she could look out the window.

Hope that helps, and you have an uneventful flight :)
lisa

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Twardo I agree with everything you said except these two. Unloading in the middle of the through way, cutting across three lanes weaving through stopped taxi's and buses IS how you drive at the airport. It's a shitty system, but it works.

And for the shoes, I travel with slip on loafers when I fly just for that reason. Slip on and off at security, no looking for a spot on one of the benches to tie your shoes. And you can bet when I get on that plane those shoes are coming off if that flight is more than an hour long. If someone's feet stink after just half a day in them then they need goldbond or something.

Hi Lisa - I was wondering if there were any other tips you could share with me. I am a "seasoned traveler" but will soon be traveling with a 3 month old baby for the first time and would love to be able to learn from your experience.

Checked bag

:D:D:D:D
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

Hi Nick,

Very often kids will cry constantly because their ears hurt. Babies and young kids can't equalize the pressure in their own ears, because they can't do the yawn/swallowing trick. Blowing in their ears often and repeatedly, especially when ascending/descending will help. Feeding (bottle or breast) or giving a pacifier helps, and when they get old enough, the sucker will do the job.

A bored child isn't happy, so plan lots of small things, short books, drawing supplies, short games. It's amazing how much time can be taken blowing up small balloons. As for keeping an infant happy, be prepared to hold it for the entire flight. If you are traveling with a baby and an older one, enlist the older one as "helper". Even a three-year-old will behave better if they think their job is to help "entertain" the baby. :)

Plan your travel time carefully if possible. Short flights are better earlier in the morning when the likelihood of melt downs are less because they are fresh. Long flights work well in the middle of the night when maybe there is a chance that they will sleep. I got lucky coming back from Hawaii (10pm flight) when my 18 month old fell asleep in the car on the way to the airport, stayed asleep for the entire flight, and woke up as we were getting in the taxi. My six-year-old fell asleep shortly after take off and we woke her for landing so she could look out the window.

Hope that helps, and you have an uneventful flight :)
lisa

Oh, yes. 'Been there with my first - at 3 months too. I think the mistake was allowing her to fall asleep before boarding - waking her up getting her out of the stroller to board unsettled her and nothing would put her back.

That was the only flight with problems though with both her and her sister. At 5 and 3 they've both done a number of long haul flights and absolutely love it - as long as they're kept entertained.