loumeinhart

Followed home at 3AM by tinted windows

Maybe it was some gang member initiation thing that they chickened out on murdering you.

Nice. I will sleep like a baby tonight.

I still say that it was some drunk kids funning you.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

There was one time I was driving from Atlanta, GA up to Ft. Jackson SC early in the morning. Cruising along around 90sh and had lights come up behind me. Very few cars on the road that early and they were a cars length or less away from me, so close I couldn't see the headlights anymore. After a few miles I got off on the exit and they continued on. I get back on and a while later same thing happens again. I don't think it was the same car but it may have been. I speed up and they do too. I move into the left lane and they do too. I really speed up and leave them but when I slow down to a normal 20sh over the limit they catch up again and ride my bumper. So I get to a rest area and turn off and they continue on. I just drive through the rest area and get back on the Interstate behind them and ride their bumper for a change. They pull off at the next exit and I don't see them again. That whole thing was just weird. :S

Have had a couple other cases of people and road rage too. One while in Miami was while I was sitting at a light in the right of 3 lanes and a van passing in front lost a couple 20 foot or so long boards. He pulled over and ran back to the intersection and was pulling them out. Light turned green but I sat there since he was in front of me. Well that pissed the guy behind me off who was waiting to turn right. He peeled out and tried to pass me in the second lane so I pulled forward just a tad blocking those two lanes while the guy grabbed the last board. If I wouldn't have the guy behind me would have either hit the guy with the boards or the boards themselves also hitting the guy. Guy with boards clears intersection and I pull through it and continue on with now crazy BMW road rage guy chasing me. A couple brake checks and chicken swipes at me I pull a quick u-turn and lose him. [:/]

Other was in Tampa. Short of that one involved me calling 911, not having left enough distance ahead of me at a light behind cars as I'm not sure if I could have made it over the curb, and a quote of almost $10k in damage by a guy kicking and swinging an expandable baton. Guess I was impolite by honking at him for cutting me off and then brake checking causing two extremely near misses in a row. B|

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

Maybe it was some gang member initiation thing that they chickened out on murdering you.

Nice. I will sleep like a baby tonight.

I still say that it was some drunk kids funning you.

I concur. Real gang members (especially the young ones) have something to prove, you would of had a problem right then. When you got defensive and backed out your car they fled.

So I get to a rest area and turn off and they continue on.

Great, sounds like you avoided a confrontation...then again...:

I just drive through the rest area and get back on the Interstate behind them and ride their bumper for a change.

...thereby deliberately renewing the situation which could have ended peaceably back at the rest area, and challenging him/them to a confrontation. But at least you defended your honor, right? Otherwise, your entire penis might have fallen off; either that, or your head might have exploded.

Most people are absolutely certain that every road rage incident is all the other guy's doing. Adrenaline is good for "fight or flight", but it's not so hot for sensible judgment. Sometimes "manning up" just gets you dead too young. I've been in a few road rage incidents in my life, too - but none in the 10+ years since I turned 40. Funny how that works.

So I get to a rest area and turn off and they continue on.

Great, sounds like you avoided a confrontation...then again...:

I just drive through the rest area and get back on the Interstate behind them and ride their bumper for a change.

...thereby deliberately renewing the situation which could have ended peaceably back at the rest area, and challenging him/them to a confrontation. But at least you defended your honor, right? Otherwise, your entire penis might have fallen off; either that, or your head might have exploded.

Most people are absolutely certain that every road rage incident is all the other guy's doing. Adrenaline is good for "fight or flight", but it's not so hot for sensible judgment. Sometimes "manning up" just gets you dead too young. I've been in a few road rage incidents in my life, too - but none in the 10+ years since I turned 40. Funny how that works.

I wasn't looking to avoid the situation the second time around. I was looking to end it and avoid any repeats. If after getting off they got back on I would have then become much more direct and turned it into an incident. So yeah it must have been honor, the honor of a penis that prevents heads from exploding. Because of how we knew each other and all the people standing on the Interstate so early in the morning. In all instances I've began by trying to diffuse the situation, but I'll avoid only so long as well. But I guess two incidents in around 14 years of driving is kinda high huh?

QED. Thank you.

NP. I'm sure if I live to be that old I'll be the center of all that is right as well. For now though, meh, I'll just verify everything you say. Keep the old guys happy and less grumpy and all.

You shouldn't have gone home, but since you've never had to think about what to do if you're being followed, I can see how that just wouldn't have occurred to you.

I think driving away (avoiding conflit) was your best option. Anyhow, sounds like a bunch of kids playing with you... On the plus side, you've made a few of us think about what to do in a similar situation :)

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I'm voting for it being stoners also.

I was once followed all over at 2:30am, finally pulled into mcdonald's drive-thru and they followed me. Figured great, while they have to wait for their food I'll ditch them easily. Getting my food, serving lady says, "do you know him?" Look over, guy got out of his car and is standing next to passenger door. Tried to open it, but it was locked. I rolled down the window. Could tell he was massive baked soon as I saw his face. "Quit blastin yo music". Said that a couple of times, then walked back to his car. One of the oddest things that's ever happened to me.

I'm voting for it being stoners also.

I vote for who knows, but you can not write off a potentially dangerous situation with the hope that the other party has no intent to do harm. I can tell you that in my personal experience of being followed, it was not kids doing it for a joke or confused drug users. It has been very real and very bad people trying to gather "intelligence."
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

They could always follow me to the abandoned farm where I have my private shooting range.

driveway is rough and a car will get a flat tire if they don't have off-road tires.

Of course then they might be a little disadvantaged at t hat point.

Lets have a vote:

How many of us carry a pistol in the car?
A carbine?
Shotgun?

Me personally it is usually a pistol and sometimes a carbine as well.

I never have any problems though, I am courteous and avoid conflict if possible.

There was however one time where gangstas cut me off at a light and were kinda in the intersection flashing gang symbols.

The range was closed so I had 15+1 in the Sig, plus 4 more loaded mags next to it,

My friend in the car said I was quietly saying, "please don't get out of that car Mr."

I think I was feeling like I did not want to have to kill everyone in that car.

My town is overrun with illegals and their gangs, so the gang symbols, the MM type stickers on the car and tinted windows along with it being Mexican Independence day made it highly likely they were intoxicated and feeling pretty aggressive.

I lived in this town for several years before I learned the local PD have a second office.
To get to it, you drive out into the country, then turn off into a cul-de-sac past the airport,
which winds around behind a pair of office buildings before dead-ending into the PD hidden behind.
It's an ideal place to take someone following you.:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

And make sure you call ahead so they can meet you in the parking lot.:)
Earlier point was that road rage is usually a 2 way street. I will admit to tailgating one morning, not happy with the guy ahead of me doing 25 in a 35. After I passed him at the first opportunity, he gave a nice chase, including opening his door to climb out at red lights, etc. He had on some Mall Cop uniform, so I'm sure he was pretty important. I couldn't get his plate number. Too bad.

Another time though, I got road raged for coming to a full stop, as required, at a complicated intersection close to my house. The guy behind me was honking, waving, swearing. . .? I pulled over, let him flip me off and pass, and got his plate number. Cops said they'd be glad to drop by and talk to him about driving more politely. :)

trying to gather "intelligence

They would open your brain and just find a bunch of worthless swoop data, wind speeds and canopy input settings

Sure would. Silly them, I would have been more than happy to run a canopy course for them!:D

I lived in this town for several years before I learned the local PD have a second office.
To get to it, you drive out into the country, then turn off into a cul-de-sac past the airport,
which winds around behind a pair of office buildings before dead-ending into the PD hidden behind.
It's an ideal place to take someone following you.:D

Or any Dunkin- doughnuts:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Besides the going home part, you did great. If I was absolutely sure I was being followed, I would have called the police and gotten the license plate number. Best case would have been to drive to the pd station. As some have mentioned before, situational awareness is key, and you had that. Many people just drive and notice nothing else. You noticed them following you, which is the first step.
How many people here have situational awareness while walking? Woman especially need to be aware of who is around them. I'm not saying we have to suspect everyone that walks by us. But too many times I see people with head phones in or talking on their cell hones completely oblivious to their surroundings. ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings. If you suspect someone is following you, cross the street or duck into a shop. If you can't, at least you can prepare yourself mentally and turn around, show him you know he's following you. We practice this in my martial arts class a lot.
Be aware of your surroundings, this should be a wake up call to all. Stay safe out there.

~ I would have jumped out of the car, ran toward them and made a citizens arrest!

Having too dark a tint on the windows is against the LAW! :ph34r:

I was thinking:
1. Take off all clothes.
2. Jump out of car screaming and beating chest.

No one wants to fuck with a crazy person.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

~ I would have jumped out of the car, ran toward them and made a citizens arrest!

I was thinking:
1. Take off all clothes.

That process is also known as the "tase me bro" sequence of events...

:D:P

I was thinking:
1. Take off all clothes.

That process is also known as the "tase me bro" sequence of events...

:D:P

Well, obviously I wouldn't use that technique with a cop.:S