skydiver30960

Writing on reserve bridle?

In the past we've had a couple chats on this forum about dyeing containers and the effects this would have on the container's TSO. I seem to recall a discussion that involved somebody who wanted to color their rig (might have been the webbing) with permanent marker and remember a couple folks just about wigging out at the idea (although I tend to agree with them on that one).

Now, what do you all feel about the practice of folks using permanent marker to put their contact info (along with 'reward offered', usually) on their reserve bridles in case their freebag ends up in the hands of some good natured neighbor? Do we consider this to be OK, since the total CSA of the affected bridle is actually pretty minimal, or do we go by the book and say that any modification is unacceptable and therefore voids the TSO?

Elvisio "thanks for helping me split hairs" Rodriguez

The sewn on panel is a good idea. I also thought about the "lawyers" part before... there were frequent discussions at my old DZ in Kentucky about what a freebag or main would do to one of the locals' six-figure combines... again, chances are they already know who's to blame, so there's no hiding one way or the other!

Elvisio "puttin' the cap back on the sharpie" Rodriguez

I don't think so. You aren't changing anything or changing/altering how the system works. People sew patches, etc onto reserve flaps, and other ornamental gizmos to containers. Call it a ‘placard’ if the FAA asks.

By using Tyvex (same material reserve data cards are made of), instead of a marker that is permanent and could bleed onto the reserve system, allows it to be removed with out damaging anything. I had the idea 5 years ago and recently I noticed a manufacturer putting the label on reserve bridles. I don’t remember which container it was now though.

Derek

If there is a name and phone number on the bridle, who knows how long it would take to get back to the owner. A freebag and pilot chute left out in the elements, might not be in proper shape to even be used again. Of course i know you'd give it an inspection, but UV rays, rain, insects. Eek.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I don’t remember which container it was now though

Was it Stunts Adventure Equipment? They sewed Tyvek labels on the reserve bridle since the mid to latter 90's.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I've grounded several bridles that had several feet of writing essentially the width of the bridle. They really wanted someone to be able to read it.;) But the marker had bled, even onto the free bag, and I don't have a clue what it did to the strength. Some rigger in this area was telling people to do it, or doing it for them. I don't know who. But I haven't seen any recently.

I have people write their information if they want to on the outside of the line pouch cover in ball point ink. Doesn't bleed, non canopy contact surface, usually already stamped by the manufacturer, but it's still there if someone looks.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

But SHOULD they write on reserve bridles, in 2 inch letters?

Hmmm "near zero"? Do you know of one that has torn?;)

We hadn't broke a properly built harness either until Sunpath's two, each in different ways.

Now, do I think that it will break. No. Should you write on it with "lots" of ink? No.

That's why I'm know as the "picky" rigger in the area. Some people come to me because of that, and some don't come to me because of that.B|

Is it summer yet Rob?:S
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Have never heard of a case of it causing problems. 30+ year old rigs have come back to the factory with no problems. I have talked to two container manufactures owners who both stated that it is a non-issue. Remember that the briddle is inspected every 120 days.
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!