SpeedRacer

Ten words you need to stop misspelling.

Weird. What happened to the rule of I before E except after C?

It's: I before E except in Heinecken and Budweiser. :P

(Being a German: Not that I would attribute these beverages with the term "beer"...)

There is no 'c' in Heineken.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Actually, this is not a spelling issue it's a vocab' one.

In the main these are not misspelling, they are often spelt correctly but the wrong word is bing used.

How many of us (Yanks) looked that up to see if that was proper usage? Before this, The only spelt I knew about was grain.

Bing? Being :)
lisa
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Actually, this is not a spelling issue it's a vocab' one.

In the main these are not misspelling, they are often spelt correctly but the wrong word is bing used.

How many of us (Yanks) looked that up to see if that was proper usage? Before this, The only spelt I knew about was grain.

Bing? Being :)Please feel free to pick this post apart. It seems flawless to me, but I am sure that there is something out of place.

lisa

Proper names are usually capitalized. :)

Yup. It's almost impossible to get it all right,

But I'm enough of a language geek that I think it's fun to try. :D

I learned a new one this weekend, thanks to The Economist. The phrase "just deserts" (as in, you got what was coming to you) is spelled just as I spelled it. The magazine used it several times in a single article, and since they usually get stuff right, I found myself looking it up and learning something new.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/just-deserts.html

http://www.snopes.com/language/notthink/deserts.asp
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I learned a new one this weekend, thanks to The Economist. The phrase "just deserts" (as in, you got what was coming to you) is spelled just as I spelled it. The magazine used it several times in a single article, and since they usually get stuff right, I found myself looking it up and learning something new.

That just goes to show you that every rule in English has an exception. I was always taught the way to remember which way to spell desert/dessert is: deSert= Sand / deSSert= Strawberry Shortcake. Go figure [:/]

lisa
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Cool! Always thought it was a loose reference to Marie Antoinette's famous "Let them eat cake"... (Yes, I know there is much debate over whether she actually said that, and actually, "brioche" - not cake - was what she was reported to have said... Not as outrageous as cake.)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

One of my language pet peeves is the use of the word "penultimate" where the user means "ultimate". Another is the use of "due to" rather than "because of".

really? how often do you run into people who use the word penultimate?

One of my language pet peeves is the use of the word "penultimate" where the user means "ultimate". Another is the use of "due to" rather than "because of".

I use it on a somewhat regular basis, and correctly too. I found while going through school as a musician it was a fairly common term being that it was regularly used in music and therefore part of an individuals normal vocabulary for most people I was around.

It does get frustrating hearing people use it incorrectly though. I had a chance shortly after college to step in and correct its use in a speech by the president of the company I was working for just prior to him giving the speech. Got some major props for that one.
Killing threads since 2004.

Mostly TV ...more often than you'd expect and usually from people who should know better.
Not many people around here use 3 dollar words.

Oh dear, don't get me started. I'm sure I was a proofreader in some other life.

Another one that gets me is when people say "broke" when they mean "broken."

"please use other door, this one is broke" is incorrect and frankly, makes the author sound like a backwoods, uneducated, trailer trash hick. It also confuses me, as I am now thinking that the door has somehow run out of money. It's down and out on the streets of Detroit, begging for spare change to replace its brokeN knob.

"please use other door, this one is broken." is the proper form.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

"please use other door, this one is broken." is the proper form.

Real writers rewrite around the problem.

"Please use the other door, we ain't fixed this one yet"

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Real writers rewrite around the problem.

"Please use the other door, we ain't fixed this one yet"

:D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Weird. What happened to the rule of I before E except after C?

The full text of the rule is, "'I' before 'e', except after 'c', or when you're spelling 'neighbor', 'weigh', 'neither', or a bunch of other words... oh, and ignore the except after 'c' part for words like 'science' or 'conscience'... you know what, just forget it..."

It was abbreviated but, as a result, lost a lot of its usefulness.