Ruffles

Question about pulling the cutaway cable

My DZ doesnt have a hang in trainer, so I can't find this out for myself easily.
I pulled the cutatway handle on my Mirage G3 for practice and noticed that there was a hell of a lot of cable (3ft?) that came out when I pulled it. So much in fact that I had a hard time getting it all out in one arm extension!
I just read that incident report on that fellow at SDA that evidently (preliminary) did not completely extract all of the cable for a good release and one riser hung up.
Does the main get released well beofre the entire length of cable is extracted?
This has me a little worried considering I couldn't get it all out in one pull (Im six-one and 210, so arm length is not this issue).
Anyone have experience with this?

You only have to extract 3 to 4 inches to release the risers. The remainder is tucked inside the cable housing running from the handle to the 3-rings. I think some instructors tell you to pull it all out, just to make sure that you haven't stopped short of what is needed.

You don't need a hanging harness setup to see this for yourself. Just have an assistant pull up on your risers while you wear your rig, while you pull the handle slowly, and note where release occurs. Or with the rig off, pick it up off the ground by holding both risers, then pull the cutaway handle with the other hand.