NWFlyer

You really do meet the coolest people at dropzones

Below is a blog entry I just wrote this morning about a guy I met at SkyDance yesterday. Thought it might provide some nice perspective in Bonfire as we all whine about the little things in our lives.;)

Yesterday at SkyDance, I met a gentleman named Ben. He saw me walking by and commented on the Leap for Lupus t-shirt that I was wearing. I explained that it was a skydiving event/fundraiser to raise money for lupus research. He mentioned that he had ALS and that last year he’d known some folks doing skydives as a fundraising event for ALS research as well.

I asked if he was out to do a jump himself and he scoffed and said “No, no interest!” But his son had done one several months ago, and his wife was there that day to do one, so he was the cheerleader. I did point out that if he were to decide to do one, the folks at Skydance had lots of experience working with folks with ALS.

I also learned that Ben, who I’d guess is in his mid 50s, had been diagnosed with ALS in 1993*. He told me that he’d been able to actually improve his condition since 2005, when his doctors thought he was near the end. He said “I’m still here! I’m still moving, still talking - I can do everything but walk!” His energy was absolutely infectious, and I asked what had changed for him to be able to improve in the last few years - was he doing some sort of novel therapy? He said he was doing mental therapy - using his mind to make his body work better.

I have no doubt about that. It was easy to see how Ben’s attitude and energy could have a positive influence on his physical health, even as ALS did its best to keep his body down. When I started talking to him, I quickly reminded myself that although he was speaking slowly and carefully so that I could understand him, I didn’t need to do the same - or at least no more slowly or clearly than I’d speak with anyone else. Because though his body was being ravaged by the disease, his mind was still all there and he was as sharp as ever.

I’ve been thinking about Ben today, and how powerful his mind has been at keeping him alive and as active as ALS will let him be, and seeing the closeness he shared with his wife and son. And I’m grateful. So grateful for my health and fitness, so grateful that I could pick up the phone this morning to wish my mom a happy mother’s day, and have a great conversation with both of my parents. I’m grateful for their health, too, and the fact that I fully expect to be able to spend time with them for many years to come.

Meeting someone like Ben also makes you realize that the mind is a powerful thing, and it’s really up to us to find happiness with whatever life throws our way. We may not control the fates, but we have a lot more control over our own joy than we think.

*Yes, I was astounded, too, since I just looked up an article that says that only 25% of people with ALS survive for longer than 5 years, and 18 years is a true medical miracle.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

What a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing! Ben sounds truly inspirational...

The mind is amazing powerful and proves how positive thinking (truly positive thinking) can be beneficial when nothing else seems to help.

:)

"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" ~ Helen Keller

Hi Kris,

A couple of lifetimes ago when I was a fresh-faced 19-yr old in Uncle Sammie's Air Force, they decided that the best job for me was in Hospital Administration; which I did for the next 3 1/3 yrs.

It taught me very well that to just be healthy is unbelievably fortunate.

I saw a lot of injuries, diseases and health problems during that time; not fun.

JerryBaumchen

One of the most over used words is "amazing" but I think in this case his mental attitude has given him amazing physical abilities that is below the norm for his predicament. Thanks for sharing! It really does make one think about the silly things we fret on in life and how silly all the whining is over frivilous stuff.
THRIVING IN MY DASH!!

*Yes, I was astounded, too, since I just looked up an article that says that only 25% of people with ALS survive for longer than 5 years, and 18 years is a true medical miracle.

What does that make Stephen Hawking? He had already been diagnosed when I knew him over 40 years ago.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

What does that make Stephen Hawking? He had already been diagnosed when I knew him over 40 years ago.

Well, Stephen Hawking is an outlier in so many ways; not at all surprising!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke