Squeak

Dealer Question

I'm about to place an order for a new rig
Micron with a Stilleto 135 & Smart Reserve (it's cheaper than PD).
Who want's to Pm me their best deal??:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Don't confuse low dollar with the best deal. There is great value in having a dealer you can work with, nearby, etc.

Also, while I have nothing bad to say (or think) about the Smart Reserve, I'm always concerned by the justification "it's cheaper than PD."

I am not a dealer, and likely not particularly helpful. You are a big kid and can do whatever you want. The above comments are more intended for beginners.

Enjoy your new gear!

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Don't confuse low dollar with the best deal. There is great value in having a dealer you can work with, nearby, etc.

Also, while I have nothing bad to say (or think) about the Smart Reserve, I'm always concerned by the justification "it's cheaper than PD."

I am not a dealer, and likely not particularly helpful. You are a big kid and can do whatever you want. The above comments are more intended for beginners.

Enjoy your new gear!

I agree wholeheartedly with what you say. I have heard nothing but good things about the Smart reserve that and the price being cheaper is what I based my decision on.

As for the local dealer option, it very unlikely I can get as good a deal here in Oz, but I will be checking.

Also I'm not stuck on any particular brand of container as long as it's safe and comfortable:)If someone offers me a great deal with different options I'll not dismiss it ouit of hand.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Only heard good things bout the Smart Reserve...

there is a difference between Cheap & Inexpensive. one does not = the other.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Only heard good things bout the Smart Reserve...

there is a difference between Cheap & Inexpensive. one does not = the other.

:)

Arlo 400+ on the Hornet (closer to 500 by the time the Rig is built) I',m also borrowing a mates Stiletto 150 and weighting it up a bit with a vest.
My landing are fine. Crosswind Downwind into wind Accuracy is good & I constantly practice braked turns & stuff that Bill said:ph34r::ph34r:

(I should type this out and save it somewhere:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:;))
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

why would you choose a stiletto made by pd and micron. both are high end and worth it, then want to go cheap when it comes to the last chance to save your life.

Selling price can be no less than what an item costs to produce including overhead plus some fraction of the startup costs.

Smart companies look at the price:units sold curve and pick the point where profit minus opportunity costs (you'll make more if you use your floor space and staff to make squares instead of rounds) are highest. Reputation allows the per-unit price to be higher for established products and companies would be stupid not to take advantage of that. Companies unable to produce enough units can raise the price and get the most out of their production capabilities.

Beyond that there's no connection between the selling price and production costs.

The production costs themselves also vary with labor costs, overhead, quantitites of scale, vertical integration within a company, etc. There are enough variables that the coupling between these and quality is loose at best.

After looking at enough parachutes you'll probably conclude that there's no connection between price, the reinforcing used, and quality control issues.

Popularity and production capacity have more to do with pricing. Companies loosing orders because they can't build enough rigs fast enough have raised their prices hundreds of dollars. Companies with unpopular products that cost no less to build have run 40% off sales in an attempt to maximize their profit. The economics are not complicated.

i did not, nor have i ever said that the smart reserve is not a good canopy. i was replying to (cheaper than pd). webster's definition: cheap ...( shoddy or inferior). i am not implying it is either. my comment was concerning a persons last chance. the last thing i want going through my mind is if i saved some money.

why would you choose a stiletto made by pd and micron. both are high end and worth it, then want to go cheap when it comes to the last chance to save your life.

Have you ever personally inspected a Smart Reserve? If so, please explain to me the basis for your comment based on said inspection.

well, excuuuuuse me. yes i have. as a rigger i have been known to pack of few also.
i shouild have been clearer in my first reply. i thought it was funny to consider cost savings on a reserve and not mentioning it on the rest of the equiptment.

Virtually none of these responses have actually addressed my initial request.

The reason I mentioned saving on the reserve only is that the other 2 items are one of which I am particularly interested in the Micron for it's manufacturing history and many people I trust beleive them to be VERY good rigs, also I dig the way they look.
The Stiletto because that's the canopy I'm interested in flying for the next thousand or so jumps.:)

Anyone else have anything CONSTRUCTIVE to add.:S:S
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

well, excuuuuuse me. yes i have. as a rigger i have been known to pack of few also.
i shouild have been clearer in my first reply. i thought it was funny to consider cost savings on a reserve and not mentioning it on the rest of the equiptment.

Virtually none of these responses have actually addressed my initial request.

The reason I mentioned saving on the reserve only is that the other 2 items are one of which I am particularly interested in the Micron for it's manufacturing history and many people I trust beleive them to be VERY good rigs, also I dig the way they look.
The Stiletto because that's the canopy I'm interested in flying for the next thousand or so jumps.:)

Anyone else have anything CONSTRUCTIVE to add.:S:S

I'm not a dealer, but the gear you are considering is all of very high quality and I wouldn't have a problem personally jumping any of it. Provided you feel the sizing of the canopy's are within your abilities, go for it.

I would take any offers you get to a local dealer you trust and at least give them the opportunity to match any price you get. Good luck.