warpedskydiver

Problem with mower deck on Cub Cadet 2165

I have a problem with my mower deck, if I engage the PTO the engine bogs down and dies.

I have taken each spindle apart and inspected and greased all of them, the deck is stiff to turn by hand once the drive belt is on but it does turn. Each blade spins easily when the belt is off.

When I install the drive belt from the PTO and engage it starts to slowly turn but bogs the motor and will not run it.

Any ideas?

Have you just changed the belt? Or anything else having to do with the deck. Is it the correct belt? Will the mower move normally without the PTO engaged? Does the RPM sound right at full throtle and low? How did it act the last time you used it? When was that?
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Stiffy idler pulley would be my first guess.

Cool to see someone else working on an issue like this.
A buddy at work GAVE me a $1000 Honda self propelled mower that a neighbor replaced because it wouldn't start.
$20 coil and it started first pull.
Works MUCH better than my 30-year old Lawnboy - that's going on Craigslist tomorrow!!!
B|

Check for old grass inside the deck. Stuff dries like concrete. Check belt routing. There are guides, little metal rods. Got to be on the right side of them.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Check for old grass inside the deck. Stuff dries like concrete. Check belt routing. There are guides, little metal rods. Got to be on the right side of them.

That's a good point. If a belt is mis-routed on the wrong side of one of the pushrods, that would do it.

Everything was greased and belts routed correctly, deck has been cleaned thoroughly.

This is the reason I am kinda stumped, if it is not the pulleys under the tractor frame I do not know what the hell it would be.

Mind you I am mechanically sufficient rebuild motors and also work on many other things, that is why I am wondering what the hell is going on.

Did you treat the gas in the tanki before you put it away. Phase seperation happens in 2-3 months.

New fuel, plenty of power, it will pull wheelies if I am not careful.

and not a whisper of thanks
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I clean my deck and sharpen the blades every season. Fuck, yeah, old grass can get real hard. I have had to use a chisel and hammer to scrape that shit off. :o
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I clean my deck and sharpen the blades every season. Fuck, yeah, old grass can get real hard. I have had to use a chisel and hammer to scrape that shit off. :o

After every use, I tip the mower on its side and not just scrape, but hose clean the underside of the deck with a standard garden nozzle. Every time; never let the grass dry to the deck. Only takes a minute. I also use a file to sharpen the blades 2-3 times a season. Only takes about 10 minutes. Sharp blades make a big difference.

Everything other than PTO and deck is great, last time used was last fall.

No changes.

OK, this is a long shot but ...

My Craftsman has an ignition switch that, when you turn it on and leave it there, engage the PTO and try to go into reverse, the engine wants to die. You have to put the key (ignition switch) in another position for the PTO to stay engaged and the engine not die. Maybe chack the ignition swithch and /or the relay (or whatever it's canlled) for that safty feature.

If that doesn't work, take the deck off. chabge the pully on the engine drive shaft one size larger and the pully on the axle one size smaller. Tell your kid it's a new kind of go kart. ;)
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

OK so what I did was pull the deck off for maybe the 5th time removed every last pulley and spindle, disassembled/inspected/cleaned then reassembled.

I removed all belts and adjusted the spindle nuts until I could easily spin them with one finger.

I then greased them, but only until I heard the air escape and a tiny amount of grease showed at the seal.

Then I reassembled after sharpening the blades and balancing them.

The mower deck now works better that ever before, it sounds like a vacuum when it runs, it cuts perfectly.

I think what was occurring was that it was over-greased, plus the nuts possibly being overtightened.

Thanks to everyone that tried to help.

As for those who seem to only try to be an asshole to me, yeah I figured as much. You show people what you're truly like and that lets them know how they should view you.

Way cool!! Good job on a tricky mystery.

Huskvarnas have a feature that I think may be available after market. It's a fitting on the deck that, after mowing, you attach a hose to and are able to wash out the just cut grass. Check at you local home improvement store. (I work at Lowe's but any place should have it if it's available.)
Louis D Brandeis

That reminds me that I need to order a chain for my Huskvarna saw, most places locally do not carry them.

They offer Stihl and homelite etc.

I asked at a place that has high end equipment and the guy told me to throw away my Huskvarna "because they are crap" I think he never used one.

The local shops in Orlando have all stopped carry Huskies.
Mostly due to the company and the way they deal with them and handle warranty claims.
They apparently want to sell volume and not keep customers happy.
I have a weed eater/edger and a blower of theirs...seem to be a quality product so far.