airdvr

George Mallory

About ten years ago, there was a museum exhibit of George Mallory's recovered Everest gear in Tacoma, WA and i went to check it out. What i saw in those glass cases filled me with awe and wonder at this guy.

Mallory died on his THIRD attempt to scale Everest. He'd been there twice before, he was no amateur. He was climbing in woolen clothes and boots that had bits of wire in the soles for cleats. He was camping on those slopes in big clumsy canvas tents. I remember thinking that some mornings I waited at my bus stop in warmer clothes than what I was looking at, it almost made me want to cry. For food, he carried a small tin of bullion cubes - a small tin of bullion cubes to nourish himself in the sub-zero, oxygen starved heights of Everest. It's almost too much to believe.

Those guys had to be unbelievably tough - tough as nails in a way that our modern hi tech minds can't even grasp anymore. We take comfort for granted - Mallory did not. They simply do NOT make guys like him anymore.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Yep, using the best technology and most up to date knowledge availableat the time wasn't enough to save him.

Today you would simply say he was foolish and underprepared....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Mallory's obsession with adventure and conquest was remarkable. On his first trip to Everest he triggered a landslide that killed 7 sherpas. That would have been enough for most to walk away.

After seeing the trouble the modern day guy had climbing the Second Step without the chinese ladder I have serious doubts Mallory could have done that with the equipment he had. I don't think he made it to the summit.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

After seeing the trouble the modern day guy had climbing the Second Step without the chinese ladder I have serious doubts Mallory could have done that with the equipment he had. I don't think he made it to the summit.

I doubt he did either, considering the failure rate using todays equipment and technology, and the number of bodies on the Everest graveyard, since Hillary and Tenzing made it there and back..

. Whatever, even if he did make it he failed, because getting back down safely was part of the criteria for sucess.

Yep, using the best technology and most up to date knowledge availableat the time wasn't enough to save him.

Today you would simply say he was foolish and underprepared....

Well, if somebody went traipsing around with Mallory's gear today, yeah I would. But not back then. He did learn from past mistakes too. On this third and final try, he took along oxygen. His oxy system would've been considerd pathetic nowadays as well, but the truth, if you read John Krakauer, is that even modern oxy systems are pretty sketchy.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Hi John,

Re: Western Cwm

Help a guy will ya:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Cwm

That is a new one to me; a sheltered life I guess,

JerryBaumchen

I was 8 in 1953 when Everest was first climbed, and I followed all this stuff with great interest. Mallory was still considered a hero at Cambridge when I was a student there.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hi John,

I was 8 in 1953

Youngster. >:(

My only true memory of those days was in the summer of '54 when Roger Bannister broke the 4-minute mile. That made headlines. :o

JerryBaumchen

PS) The summer of '54 is when I bought my first motor vehicle, I was mobile then; lookout world. :)

Hi John,

I was 8 in 1953

Youngster. >:(

My only true memory of those days was in the summer of '54 when Roger Bannister broke the 4-minute mile. That made headlines. :o

JerryBaumchen

PS) The summer of '54 is when I bought my first motor vehicle, I was mobile then; lookout world. :)

I met Roger Bannister, sometime around 1990. Nice guy, became a medical doctor.

I was 8 in 1953 .

Funny that you don't suffer the ancient jokes nearly as much as Twardo ;)

That's because only my birth certificate is ancient, the rest of me is still 22.

We take comfort for granted - Mallory did not.

i can so vouch for that! i went to North Col of mount Everest last year (http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3874865). when i got back home i had a very strange sensation of perceiving comfort. it was early June and it was nice and warm. it felt so strange to be barefoot and to wear shorts and a t-shirt. i kept thinking that something was wrong and in a second a cold gust will come in and i will have to run for my down jacket and pants. it was with me for a while. we do take our comfort for granted.

i only went to 23k feet and it was unbelievably hard. it boggles my mind that people go all the way up and some of them do it without supplemental oxygen. at high altitude everything is a tremendous struggle. but it's definitely worth doing!

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

Those guys had to be unbelievably tough - tough as nails in a way that our modern hi tech minds can't even grasp anymore. We take comfort for granted - Mallory did not. They simply do NOT make guys like him anymore.

Have you read the book "Endurance"? If not, it's a great read of a failed Antarctic expedition back in the days of wooden ships and iron men. I highly recommend it. :)

In Reply To
Have you read the book "Endurance"? If not, it's a great read of a failed Antarctic expedition back in the days of wooden ships and iron men. I highly recommend it. Smile

Earnest Shackleton....Unbelievable story of survival, Couldn't imagine a trip like that using the technology he had....

Way tougher than the legends in their own lunchtimes that we see today...