Nataly

Death by sunburn...

Is it funny or pathetic that I thought I was dying last night??? I woke up at 4 AM... I felt REALLY hot and flustered, and EVERYTHING hurt... You see, yesterday I carelessly lied on the beach and fell asleep in the blazing sun. It wasn't until I got home that I realised just exactly what shade of lobster-red I had turned... OUCH!! For once I felt thankful I had gotten so many free creams from my former job at "because you're worth it" - I slapped the stuff on like there was no tomorrow and hoped my nose wouldn't turn into a ginormous blister.

Anyhoo, I felt exhausted, so I went to bed at about 7 PM! Anyone who knows me knows I more often go to bed at 7 AM rather than in the evening... I was knocked out, until I woke up in agony... Not only did the sheets hurt on my raw flesh, but I felt unbearably hot. I was dizzy, even though I was lying down. I felt like I could drink 10 litres of water. I got up and nearly fainted on the way to the sink... I fumbled for the light switch... I sat down on the toilet, just to calm my beating heart. I felt AWFUL.

I drank a little, but this made me feel nauseous :S I started feeling dizzy again, and without thinking, I turned off the lights to head back to the bed and lie down. Well, the lights weren't the only thing that went out... I took a few steps, heard a very loud crash, and my brain took a nap for a bit... I don't know how long I lay on the cold floor, but I know when I came-to, I was very confused... Why was I on the ground? Why was my hair soaked? Why was there clothes on the floor? Why was I trapped in a wooden frame of some sort? Why was my heart beating so fast? I just surrendered and napped for a bit longer.

I woke up again and thought: "hang on, something is weird"... Turns out that loud crash was the wardrobe I knocked over when I fainted - guess I had tried to steady myself with it on my way to the bed... I was trapped under this wooden frame, in pitch black dark - no wonder I didn't know what was going on! And the wet hair? Sweat - and lots of it. It was not pretty... I managed to find my phone for a bit of light... I escaped from the fallen wardrobe... I put back all my clothes that had fallen onto the floor... I went back to the bed... I slept. I woke up around noon. Well, all I can say is after that episode, I was glad to wake up at all!! I was thankful for the headache, and horrible thirst, and painful sunburn from head-to-toe... I was ALIVE!!!

*sigh*... I am a massive dumbass...! I'm going to put on some more moisturiser now!!! :|
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Sounds like the start of a fast paced action novel....

Sunstroke....needed to cool your skin down with ice or cold water for a few hours, drink plenty of liquids....

Straight after you got home from the beach....

Don't do this in Oz or NZ in the summer sun, the UV's will kill you....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

You should be good buddies with Matt Cline, he's been polluting facebook with photos of his sunburn!

I got one (though not that bad) in Hawaii, some benedryl helped the itching (just wait for it) and well, suck it up as for the rest... cool water showers are nice, and try to avoid any soaps with scents and many additives.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Take a painkiller/anti-inflammatory, too, that'll help with the pain. Hydrate your body and your skin, and rest - your body's telling you to - so do it. And next time, more sunscreen / more protective clothing and more time in the shade.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Take a painkiller/anti-inflammatory, too, that'll help with the pain. Hydrate your body and your skin, and rest - your body's telling you to - so do it. And next time, more sunscreen / more protective clothing and more time in the shade.

Yep... Shoulda had more water yesterday and not stayed there as long also... :S I'm just SO glad I wasn't drinking alcohol as well, because there were lots of bars and those cocktails did look very appealing...

It was a bit scary when my heart was racing and my head was spinning and I woke up on the floor... Got a couple of weird bruises out of it, but nothing really bad happened in the end, thankfully... Guess I was pretty lucky, actually. Not doing THAT again!! It's HOT in Nice!!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Sorry to hear you're in so much pain. I second the anti-inflammatory and I'll also add that apple cider vinegar helps soothe the burn. You can either apply it with gauze or cotton balls or add it to bath water.

I had a very severe burn on my face that included water blisters when I was young. The doctor had me soak gauze in cold tea and apply it to my face for 30 minutes and then apply plain yogurt and let it dry. I alternated this process for an entire day. I took a lot of ribbing from my brothers, but it helped soothe the pain.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Thanks for all the tips! I feel so dumb, but at least I have a good excuse to walk around nekkid in my apartment!! :D:D Thank goodness my bottom is the one unburnt bit of me, making sitting down still possible!!! :)

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I'm very sorry to hear about your pain.
I too though of darker skin have made a similar mistake while out in Yuma Arizona. Testing was cancelled for the day, way too much time by the pool and well the next week were hell.

All the above are great points of advice. Liquids should be your best friends for the next few days. If you so wish invest in light clothing to keep the pressure off your skin (do women need an excuse to shop? If so here is a good one!) Further more here is an odd one. But you are just going to have to trust me on this one.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil....yeah. No joke! My aunt owns a beauty salon / spa in Texas. She charges something like $300 for this so I'm giving it to you for free.

Go out and buy the most expensive highest purity extra virgin olive oil you can. The super green stuff! Pull your hair up away from your skin, your hair loves the stuff and it will plump up and become an unmanageable mess if you get any on your hair.
Take a cold shower. When you get out carefully dry yourself off. Pour a good bit of olive oil on a clean soft cloth and just paint yourself.

The first application will quickly be absorbed into your skin. It may sting it may tingle. That's normal. Add another layer after 5 min. Yes you will have to do this naked, yes it will help if your boyfriend can lend a helping hand, yes odds are he will now think you are the hottest thing on the planet and no you should not have sex.

Do this for about three days, usually in the evening. Yeah you will smell like a salad. But your skin will thank you. And the pain will be significantly lower.
And that was your $300 beauty tip from Shah.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Were you naked during this event ? ;)

Since she didn't burn her bum, sounds like she at least had the bottom half of a suit on. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I knew of a guy who went to sleep in the sun after a party, had a skinful of booze aboard.

He had big blisters on his eyelids, and spent a few days in the hospital for his trouble...
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Since she didn't burn her bum, sounds like she at least had the bottom half of a suit on. :D

I live on the French Riviera - tops are for tourists!! :P Depending on the beach, bottoms are also optional, but I haven't graduated to that level of libertinisme yet!!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I live on the French Riviera - tops are for tourists!! :P Depending on the beach, bottoms are also optional, but I haven't graduated to that level of libertinisme yet!!
>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

How did I know you were going to say TTIWWP??! :D:D

Sorry dude... The only person who will see the girls blush is my boyfriend (and a bunch of random strangers at the beach!) :D;)

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

We need the location of the beach, and the schedule of when you will be there.:)

Well, I'm not going back any time soon... :S:D:D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Every once in a while we have a bigway event in the winter that draws a lot of Europeans. They get to Perris and one of the first thing they do is lie in the sun for a few hours in their shorts and black socks.

The next day they're all sunburned and in pain. I've often been tempted to have Kate make an announcement at the beginning of the camp: "Note to Europeans! Lying in the desert sun for a few hours when you haven't seen the sun for three months is a bad idea. We have experience with this."

Every once in a while we have a bigway event in the winter that draws a lot of Europeans. They get to Perris and one of the first thing they do is lie in the sun for a few hours in their shorts and black socks.

The next day they're all sunburned and in pain. I've often been tempted to have Kate make an announcement at the beginning of the camp: "Note to Europeans! Lying in the desert sun for a few hours when you haven't seen the sun for three months is a bad idea. We have experience with this."

A couple of months?? My pasty flesh has been exposed to nothing but office neon lights for about the last 6 years!!! :|
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I have been sunburned badly enough that I was questioned down the road a bit by my doctor as to why I didn't go to the hospital. Burn creme while expensive would do wonders on your more sensitive parts.

Sunburn is in fact a burn, just like anything else. Treat it like one and you will have the best results.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

shorts and black socks.
:o
That is not a good look! I don't care how cute she is...and she is very cute!
http://media.onsugar.com/files/ons1/258/2589280/34_2009/0708d170eb80162f_FEARNE.jpg
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

The aloe/lidocaine gel is a lifesaver.

Ditto what Shah said on the olive oil for your skin, but veto what he said about keeping it out of your hair. It's wonderful for your hair in controlled doses (dime sized amount on your palm, rub your hands together and then run your hands through the ends of your hair is great for keeping split ends in check, depending on your hair type). Also, when you're not burned, a mix of olive oil and sugar is a great skin scrub.

EDIT: And to second what Fast said, don't be afraid to go see your doc. Sunburns can be very severe.

shorts and black socks.
:o
That is not a good look! I don't care how cute she is...and she is very cute!
http://media.onsugar.com/files/ons1/258/2589280/34_2009/0708d170eb80162f_FEARNE.jpg

She could use a cheeseburger.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message