jbcongo

Benchmade and Aerodyne

It is stored in/under the mudflap with a piece of material(lanyard) and a snap.

from their web site : "- Unique stainless steel hook knife located under left hand 3-ring cover."
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

You can leave it in the pouch and wear it on your chest or leg strap.

Or you can take it out of the pouch and stow it carfully under the mud-flap where the corresponding part of the snap is.

I'll try to get a pic later. But I'm sure someone will beat me to it. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

One is an oxygen bottle wrench,I think the others just provide different ways to teather it.

Yup, since it was designed by Benchmade with not skydiving in mind, but other adventure travelers.

I'm personally not a fan due to the easy nature of slicing your fingers/hands wide open. Atleast with the Benchmade design that Aerodyne adopted are easier to do that with then with something like the Jack the Ripper.

It is neat and trendy though.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I'm just glad that folks are using those instead of carrying those quick and easy to break old little orange "hook knives."
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yes it is used much more as a bottle opener than a hook knife - somebody was thinking

Clearly, somebody was NOT thinking. Each time your hook knife is removed to open a bottle, the likelyhood of it not being replaced is presented. I know the life of the stud that keeps it attached to your rig will not last the number of beers most skydivers consume.

If you're going to sell a hook knife with your rig - it should be a hook knife only, so that it will remain in place for that very rare time that you need a hook knife.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Was wondering how the Benchmade hookknife was stored on the Icon.

It is best stored in your gear bag and no where near you rig. That thing is better used on the ground. It is a hazard on your rig. Sorry Aubrey! It is the truth. Those things scare me!!!!!!! If you haven' seen one you woudn't understand.
Dom

It is best stored in your gear bag and no where near you rig. That thing is better used on the ground. It is a hazard on your rig.

How so? Mine seems to be stowed away nice and neat! I never once have seen it as an issue. I am hoping of course that it stays put right where it is.

How do ya like it Johnny?

It is best stored in your gear bag and no where near you rig. That thing is better used on the ground. It is a hazard on your rig. Sorry Aubrey! It is the truth. Those things scare me!!!!!!! If you haven' seen one you woudn't understand.

I got a couple of those knives free. I spent about half an hour with a couple of riggers in the Loft at Perris looking at them and how we could go about putting one on my rig. We concluded that they didn't belong on my rig given the kind of flying I was doing.

I gave one away to one of the riggers there who was a CRW dawg – we figured it wouldn’t be so bad for him as a third knife somewhere.

For me freeflying - we figured it would be a bad idea. The knife has relatively sharp edges to it and effectively a serrated handle. That's the area that's exposed to other jumpers. A moderate collision - maybe even a bit of a rough linked exit - we concluded that the sharpish serrated edge, exposed to other people's kit could easily cause their kit damage - never mind what a bit of movement could cause it to do to my kit.

I keep my benchmade in my rig bag for cutting all those things that stupid people use their rig's hook knife on.

Not saying there’s not a way to mount them safely... I just agree with the riggers I talked with at Perris that there are better knives on the market.

How so? Mine seems to be stowed away nice and neat! I never once have seen it as an issue. I am hoping of course that it stays put right where it is

THe thing is a hazzard. You can get your finger in it so easy and cut you up, plus all the sharp edges on it are just begging to cut up your flaps. Just take it out the wrong way once and get that hook caught on something.

Dom

Mine came in a nylon case.Bought it,it did not come with a rig.The serrated edges on the outside are not sharp at all.The way it is attached on my Javelin is the nylon pouch that it came in is installed in the pocket on the left leg strap.The nylon case has a snap through it to the outside of the leg strap(male) and the female half is installed through some binding tape and acts as the method of extraction.Grab the binding tape and pull the snap apart and pull.If anything the serrated edge acts as something to give you a good grip with especially with gloves on.Your right, the blade portion is sharp.It was designed to cut through seat belts.Even doing combat RW I fail to see how this could hurt anyone or anything.Sure beats the hell out of those plastic things.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Since this thread is already started, what is a good hook knife for a freeflier I plan on adding one to my rig pretty soon.

I'm a HUGE fan of Jack the Ripper knives. I'd recommend sewing it on the leg of your jumpsuit or similar then trying to put it on your rig, since its kinda big. There's a new mini-ripper, but it doesn't have duel blades and replacable blades, so I'm sticking with the older/larger version.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."