Nataly

How do you split the bill?

We always split the bill equally ... anyone who doesn't like it isn't invited again ; I can't stand 'Bill Pickers'

Exception ... Nominated driver - does not put his/her hand in their pocket - same goes for special occasions or folks having a hard time and we invited them out cuz we're good like that.

Them what make a fuss.. "I only had the lentils and tap water..." would more than likely not be in the group in the first place[:/] and if they did manage to sneak in then there would NOT be a 2nd time.

Ill split the food bill, but not the drinks bill, Ill not pay for others boozing.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I went out to eat in New Orleans with a group of about 12 people. We all had pretty much the same thing, except for 1 couple who opted for the salad that was ONE dollar cheaper than the rest of us.
We split the bill evenly, and the husband whined for about 3 blocks as we were walking back to the hotel (all 11 of us were really tired of it at this point) I pulled a buck out of my pocket and gave it to him.
The interesting thing was, we were all there on an expense account.
Way to ruin a great night, Whiny Bastard!
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

What? You can't ask the waiter / waitress for seperate bills in Fance? :S

Why would I do that??? I moved here - why should they have to adapt their ways to suit me???

Why not? I have to "adapt to their ways" when they come here and don't tip for shit.:D

BTW, you never paid for my meal

Beg to differ. Bought you and Remi dinner at the 17th Ave Bar and Grill. The ex was there, too. In fact, I think one or two other jumpers were there, and I bought for everyone. Just goes to show how much some people appreciate my generosity ;)

The above picture is disqualified, because the person that is presumed to be myself has his eyes closed. Therefore, a distinct identification cannot be made.

I don't think your ex was there that night.. But I do remember you picking up the bill, after some bitching from me about that! :ph34r:

And Nat: with close friends, if the meals were close-ish in value, we'll split evenly.

With very close friends, we'll either split it evenly regardless of value, or one of the group will pick it up.

With people we hang out once in a while, we'll try to split it based on items.

In the situation, it would have made sense to split it item wise. Unless you wore the maids outfit, then I would have been happy to pick up the tab ;)
Remster

What? You can't ask the waiter / waitress for seperate bills in Fance? :S

Why would I do that??? I moved here - why should they have to adapt their ways to suit me???

Why not? I have to "adapt to their ways" when they come here and don't tip for shit.:D

There are ignorant twats everywhere - doesn't mean I have to be one of them! :P
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

If there were a lot of shared dishes and/or everyone ordered roughly the same...

Dim sum comes to mind. Try "splitting the bill" according to what you ate at a dim sum place. It could get very interesting.
:D:D:D

A Cray would have a hard time crunching those numbers.
:o
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

rocket surgery

Rocket surgery isn't so bad. Unless you have to remove their asteroids.

:|

I have an old friend who used to only throw in the cost of his meal, not tip or tax back when we were in High School.

You can tell when you and your friends have grown up into adulthood when you pass the check around, everyone throws in, and you start ending up with the right amount or a little too much rather than too little.

That fact that there is so many choices and philosophies on it is why I nearly always ask for a separate bill.

another reason for a separate bill is restaurants that automatically add gratuity for large groups (and the servers that don't point it out hoping to scam extra tips that way). I'd rather stay a small group (that sits at the big table) to keep it honest.

another reason is we had a guy at work that would offer to pay by credit card and just collect the cash from the others. It turned out his culture didn't believe in tipping at all, so he'd just pocket any extra. We stopped going out to eat with him. A few of us told him what kind of person he was to be doing that on the stealth as well. HE didn't have to tip if he didn't like to, but it wasn't ok at all to take all our tips away from the server.

more stories like that

I'll cover my part 100% and do it my way - including when I choose to buy for others too. everybody else are grownups and can handle it too.

when we eat 'family style' (shared dishes) we always figure out a total amount plus tip and then split evenly from that.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Insisting they give separate bills is a bit rude because here it's not the norm, so you're asking a lot... I suppose if you really wanted separate bills, you should really ask before you even order, so you can judge whether it's going to be a massive hassle,

What ever happened to catering to the customers' requests?

If you think about it, it's far easier for each person in a restaurant to keep track of what they ordered compared to putting all that burden on the waiters - it probably even makes the service quicker.

I don't know. They are the ones with the fancy computerized register that adds everything up so nicely. Seems like they could do a good job. They can just pretend my wife and I are at a separate table. Separate checks are not a big deal here in the U.S. I think maybe the European wait staffs are just lazy.:P

That fact that there is so many choices and philosophies on it is why I nearly always ask for a separate bill.

You know, maybe it's because I don't eat out all that much, but I had never really thought about all this stuff... It just seemed obvious to me that most of the time, people order stuff that is similarly priced, and if you're the odd one out (because you ordered the lobster-stuffed-with-foie-gras-stuffed-with-beluga-caviar, or because it's your birthday, etc.), you adjust accordingly by paying more/less.

Now, obviously, some people like to overcomplicate things... I mean... Someone mentioned a guy arguing over an extra dollar (when it was being expensed at that!)... That sounds a bit retarded to me... :|

Maybe the most important thing if you don't want to argue over it is to only hang out with like-minded people - that way, your ideas/philosophies are never challenged!! :D:D:P
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

another reason for a separate bill is restaurants that automatically add gratuity for large groups (and the servers that don't point it out hoping to scam extra tips that way)

This year my wife and I went to a coworker's retirement party at a local restaurant. We were given a number to track our separate check. The bill was higher than I expected but I didn't really itemize it. I paid it, then tracked down my waitress and gave her a very nice tip in cash. Later, driving home, I realized there was "gratuity added" to our two-person check because we were "part of a large group." You're right. When I handed the cash tip to our waitress, she didn't say $hit. :|

Insisting they give separate bills is a bit rude because here it's not the norm, so you're asking a lot... I suppose if you really wanted separate bills, you should really ask before you even order, so you can judge whether it's going to be a massive hassle,

What ever happened to catering to the customers' requests?
.:P

They're French, they don care about you one bit:ph34r::ph34r: In Paris they wont serve you:ph34r: Pig dog americans
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

They're French, they don care about you one bit:ph34r::ph34r: In Paris they wont serve you:ph34r: Pig dog americans

:D:D:D
Then I really piss 'em off when I ask for a bottle of Ketchup. :P

Meh.. You can get around that by asking for some tomato coulis :D:D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

5 years ago my wife and I went to Paris, not bad, had fun. But 2 different experiences, together all is great, my wife, pretty good looking always had everything whether with me or alone. Me alone I was invisible to the point that I wouldn't go anywhere without her. A few years later here in the USA I was talking to a French guy about how I couldn't even get some one in the street to give me directions to Starbucks(everywhere there) He was incredulous saying "why would you think they would help you?"

Not *entirely* related, but this clip shows nicely how the French like to be helpful - especially when it comes to admin!!!

Just this morning I went to the post office to retrieve my re-directed post... I felt like I was asking for "formulaire A38" (in the clip)!! No, I did not get my post... The first time I went they said I had to wait until the 2 month re-direction contract was finished. The second time I went they said they never got the contract. Today I was told my post was all "returned to sender" because I never lived at that address!! Hmmm...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Sounds like the French PO is as bad as USPS.
When I was in college I was a co-op student, moving 1000 miles back and forth between college and my co-op job at the end of every semester. So I had to submit a card to USPS to redirect my mail each time. Once after moving back to school, several weeks went by with no mail whatsoever. After giving me the runaround over and over, they finally actually looked into it. Each PO was redirecting to the other, even though the forwarding was supposed to have stopped at the school PO. So my mail was in an endless loop.:S

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Sounds like the French PO is as bad as USPS.
When I was in college I was a co-op student, moving 1000 miles back and forth between college and my co-op job at the end of every semester. So I had to submit a card to USPS to redirect my mail each time. Once after moving back to school, several weeks went by with no mail whatsoever. After giving me the runaround over and over, they finally actually looked into it. Each PO was redirecting to the other, even though the forwarding was supposed to have stopped at the school PO. So my mail was in an endless loop.:S

Hit (Ctrl+C) to end the loop... something I learned a while back when learning to program. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

:D:D:D I have to say... There are lots of things I love about France, but their admin system is not one of them!!!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss