FlyingJ

"Really, I was in the Army..."

I had a customer tell me it was such a nice day that he was leaving work early to go fly his de Havilland plane. I asked him what model and he said “I don’t know but it sounds like you know more about it than I do”. I let it go.

These retards are everywhere and i would never let it fly. They need to be put in their place and realize what they are doing is so fucked up.

What if he really just didn't know about that plane? I'm sure it's very different, but I used to ride a motorcycle for a couple of years. I don't know anything about motorcycles except how to ride one, and really only knew the make / model / engine size of my own, and tell people similar things when they start asking me about bikes if they see a pic of my old one. Could it be possible that he's new to flying and doesn't know much yet?

If you are asking about the guy with the de Havilland, he said he owned it (half, he did have a partner). I don’t know how you buy an airplane and not know what it is. I have never purchased an airplane and I’m not a pilot but because of skydiving and friends with aircraft (and my own personal interest) I guess I may know a “little” bit more than the average person about planes but come on.

As far as calling him out on it, he was a customer. He is always right. (The preceding was not intended to be a factual statement).

Oh, one more I forgot about. about 22 years ago I was at a work friends house. he was an exec, nice house, nice neighborhood. his neighbor dropped in. I was introduced, my friend said the neighbor was an airline pilot. I said cool, that I was working on my CFI. He said "whats that?" I just said you know my instructor rating, and let it drop. After that I started thinking he was either in the witness protection program or the mob.

**longer than anticipated, see lesson at bottom for short version

Flying's one of those things where when you are leaning to fly, you have to learn about the planes, at least the type. Once you learn you're more than likely hooked and want to learn more.

I'm a young pilot and no one that I meet really expects it, when I was 19, granted only 2 years ago. Leaving a bar we passed an airport with all the lights on and I made a "damn that looks cool" remark . One guy that was kind of a tag along on the way home from the bar said something like "did you know pilots can operate the lights from their plane?" I casually said "yeah, you fly?" with honest and general interest, he took that and ran with it saying him and his friend who's an instructor go up all the time and do this and that. and continued with stories and incorrect facts

I asked him how many hours he had (something that if you're learning how to fly you're very intent on knowing) and he said "I'm not really sure, probably around 80 or so, we go up all the time." I said "oh so you have your license already?" and he said with certainty, "Oh no you have to have like,,, 120 hours to even really start the license thing, it's real real hard but I'm on the way." to which i responded and accidentally started an argument "nope, you only need 40." "No there's no way, it's at least 100!" and for the first time I acknowledged myself as a pilot, pulled out my license and said, "dude, I promise you, it's 40, this took me 48."

Then I asked him what airport he flew out of, never once saying i think you're full of shit.
Where we live there's a decently large class D airport in the city we lived in and a much smaller non-towered airport about 30 mins away, I offer those 2 as options and he immediately picks the smaller one in hopes that no one really knew about it, I happen to work at the FBO at that time, had access and knew just about every plane and tail number at the airport. so with some enthusiasm, I say "Oh dude, I work there! what plane is it? What's the tail number? what hangar is it in, I probably know your friend!" "Oh I don't know the tail number I don't think HE even knows the tail number, it's a white one." I knew every tail number of every plane I've flown, told him that to which I think he realized he shouldn't have said anything. I let it go and changed the subject.

When we let him out everyone in the car went, "so he was completely full of shit wasn't he."

sometimes you can just let people out themselves.

Another time at my brothers house his 50ish neighbor brought her new BF over for after thanksgiving dinner visit, he started telling incredulous( i love that word) BS flying stories.

Thaty's a shame, because it doesn't mean what you think it means. Your reaction to the story could be incredulous, but not the story itself.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I've always been more impressed by people who don't need to "smack down" other people. I was in a bar once with Denny Chalker who had some kid tell him he was an expert skydiver and SCUBA diver, just like those SEALs. Denny just nodded and said "that's great kid" and went back to his beer.

:)
I miss Denny!

[:/]

Is a chicken omelette redundant?

Usually the only people wearing the t-shirts, jackets and hats are the fans. ;)

Actually I do not recall ever seeing someone wear any portion of a uniform or other insignia including berets unless on duty and without much of a choice.

Why does anyone want to wear work clothes?

Nothing to be ashamed of by far, just that you are not supposed to be calling attention to ones self.

Not the uniform items. The commercial stuff (embroidered golf shirts, screen-print t-shirts, embroidered ball caps, etc). These are much more often worn by those who "support" the military (fans) than by those serving.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I like to wear my wifes' nurses uniform .. but that's the subject for a completely different thread:P

So you're working as a lumberjack now?:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I like to wear my wifes' nurses uniform .. but that's the subject for a completely different thread:P

So you're working as a lumberjack now?:|

and on wednesday I go shopping and have buttered scones for tea

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

There's a guy who hangs out around our reenactment group who claims to be a civilian who used to go on classified missions with the Seals. Hearing that from anyone, I'd doubt it, mainly if it was classified, you wouldn't be talking about it! Hearing it from this guy (40 year old, lives with his mother. works for minimum wage a couple hours a week), I'd never believe it for a second. Ever. Oh, and the same guy was telling me about his "Hundred Thousand foot HALO jump." /facepalm. I said he was looking great for his age and asked when he changed his last name from Kittinger, and he didn't get it.

Canada had a Military? = Whodathunkit:P

Its closer to the Civil Air Patrol than anything else.:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Stolen valor act was a law, got repealed due to conflict with 1st amendment. Now a new one is being passed but not for wearing a uniform but for fraud. So if the person is using it even to get a free beer it is considered fraud and they can be arrested for it.
a couple of years ago I was briefing a group of tandem students, one of them had a USMC t shirt on, as I did. He didn't look the part so I asked when he was in? He said he wasn't but that he supports the Marines. I wasn't a dick about it but I said don't wear the shirt unless you are or were one, or are a wife or girlfriend or have some connection to someone who is in. That people make assumptions. Although not a uniform I make the assumption that the person wearing it, is or was in. Maybe I'm a dinosaur but I like my cave.

I appreciate your view and wouldn’t wear a t-shirt with an armed forces logo myself but it isn’t too far of a stretch to say I shouldn’t wear a Phillies jersey because people might assume I played for them. Maybe I am just a fan.

Every one that is in the US, legally, has a tie to the USMC, the Navy, the Army, the Airforce, and the Coast Guard - it is they that have been able to defend what freedoms we still have.

Any support for them is welcomed in my eyes, no matter who you are, or what you do.

just don't try to make people believe that you are what you are not. It's simple - Don't lie.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Hi F-J,
Funny how that goes. Check out Chuck and Mary Shantags'( http://www.pownetwork.org/ ) , their "list" of busted wannabe's is extensive!! Bar room lies over beers are one thing but wearing the uniform and creating the fake persona to go with it are another. They are out there!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

With those kind of people, I always wonder, do THEY believe what they are saying? I just don't understand those kind of people. Having had the honor of knowing some real heroes and a lot of guys that just plain old served in war ( some of the most modest people you could meet), those phonies sicken me too.

With those kind of people, I always wonder, do THEY believe what they are saying? I just don't understand those kind of people. Having had the honor of knowing some real heroes and a lot of guys that just plain old served in war ( some of the most modest people you could meet), those phonies sicken me too.

Hi John,
Funny you should mention that? I ask the same questions too. The imposters "the really into the fake persona" don't hit home till you run up against one in your everyday life. Then you wonder??? If you call them on some aspect of their story, they have a very plausable explanation and one for that and one for the next...... until they dig a hole so deep they bury themselves. It may take a while. Attention to detail and their "time line" will trip them up. They always screw up how they wear the uniform, order of placement of ribbons and insignia for one. Chuck and Mary Shantag have done an exlempary job over the years with the P.O.W. Network and I can only add,"Right On!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out