Nataly

Ever have an interview over the phone?

Tomorrow I have an interview for a job I'm REALLY keen on. Since some of the applicants are from abroad, all interviews are being conducted via the phone (no video). I'm told there will be a panel of 3 interviewers and that there is no "second round." I also know I am one of 4 ppl in total who were shortlisted for the interview.

If anyone has had a telephone interview before I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on what it was like... Also, any tips / advice would be welcome :)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

The job I have now, I was interviewed over the phone for, also one that I was in line for with the FBI, was over the phone.

Usually when you start, they will have you on a conference call or speaker phone... hope for the conference call, as the speaker phones are a pain in the ass to hear everyone.

Also, they will usually do a 'round the table' introduction, try to write thier names and jobs down so when you have questions, you can say "Mr suchandsuch, " instead of just blindly asking the question.

They generally ask a bunch of questions, sometimes in a 'rapid fire', just take them as they come, and answer them, then move on.

The job I have now, I had 2 phone interviews. One with the contracting company that I work for (general interview), and another with the unit to which I was going to be assigned (technical interview, to see if my resume matches my brain). Both were probably 5 mins a piece (FBI one was about 20 iirc).

Most importantly: Don't miss the call :P

Good luck!:)

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I do them all the time for out of town work.
Taking notes, and having notes is a the best advice I can give. Write down questions you want to ask about the job, write down things you want to emphasize about yourself.
Have a copy of your resume with you as well.
Think of it as an open book test.

The BEST part of it is that you get to do it from the comfort of your own home, while naked and drinking scotch B|

Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Thanks - some great tips so far :)
Open book exam... Nice analogy... Also great idea to have my CV in front of me and to have/take some notes... I can also have my computer logged onto the internet, although not sure about this one as I reckon it might be more distracting than anything.

I have been preparing all morning - I'm trying to do a as much back-ground research as possible so they don't catch me offguard when they ask about what they do!!!

I hope I will be able to hear everyone on the call...

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

One more thing I would add is to make sure you have a good phone connection and to try to control for background noises (barking dog, screaming kid, insane neighbor) as much as possible. Even though you don't have to create a good in person impression you want to still present as professional an "appearance" as possible to the interviewers.

Good luck!!

Thanks - some great tips so far :)
Open book exam... Nice analogy... Also great idea to have my CV in front of me and to have/take some notes... I can also have my computer logged onto the internet, although not sure about this one as I reckon it might be more distracting than anything.

I have been preparing all morning - I'm trying to do a as much back-ground research as possible so they don't catch me offguard when they ask about what they do!!!

I hope I will be able to hear everyone on the call...

As someone said: speaker phone in a quiet place.

Also, keep in mind that your voice will be how you present yourself. If you would take the time to make sure you were dressed and disposed suitably for a in person interview, apply the same logic to how you present yourself on the phone.

Make notes of what you want to talk about, questions you want to ask them, etc...
Remster

I agree with what everybody else has said, however I really would recommend dressing up for the phone interview the same way you would for a face to face interview. I got a job through a telephone interview and spending the time before, getting dressed up in shirt and tie really helped me mentally prepare for the whole thing and puts your mind in the correct place, rather than slumming out.

I hope that makes sense.

I do the opposite. I kinda dress down and usually walk around while talking as it helps me focus and keep loose. Just don't tighten up too much and think fast. ;)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

I think I do much better in person. I've only had 1 phone interview, and didn't get it. It was unfortunately for job I really really wanted and I think because it was over the phone, I tried to rely my excitement and knowledge for the job TOO much and may have come off as OVER EAGER.

Good luck and notes are saviors!
some sort of crazy liquor cheeseburger party

I think I do much better in person. I've only had 1 phone interview, and didn't get it. It was unfortunately for job I really really wanted and I think because it was over the phone, I tried to rely my excitement and knowledge for the job TOO much and may have come off as OVER EAGER.

Good luck and notes are saviors!

Ha ha ha! That's exactly what I'm worried about!! :D I'm also worried about interrupting someone - when you don't see the person, it's not as easy to know when they're done talking...

Mind you, all the candidates have phone interviews, and I'm guessing most people are better in person... At least no one has the edge in this sense.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

http://www.resumeguru.com/blog/

My first job out of the Army was a phone interview with a place in Miami. I was in Orlando. He asked when I could start so I said immediately. He said he knows everyone always says that but what does that actually mean? I said well it's about a 4 hour drive down to Miami so I guess that means in 4 hours? He got a kick out of that. :D I would have done it too as I was serious. I had just gotten out of the Military and needed a job. [:/]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

Everyone's given you great advice so far. I'd like to add what NOT to do ... do not schedule the phone interview then forget to note down the time.

Early Friday morning, I've just gotten up and am puttering around the house considering a shower. Phone rings (land line, no caller ID).

Me: Hello?

Voice: High this is John [so-and-so].

Me (testily): Yes?

Voice: From [target company]

Me: Oh my god I completely forgot.

Voice: [Laughs] How about you get some coffee, I'll call you back in 5.

Believe it or not, I actually went on to the next round and to get the job offer after all that, but I do not recommend the approach. Not all interviewers are going to be as cool and laid back as he was (as I later learned, he was one of the few cool and laid back people in the company - most of the rest of 'em had serious stick-in-ass disease and it was NOT a good fit for me).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The one thing I like about phone interviews if things are going well they can not see the shit eating grin on your face or you dancing around from excitement :ph34r:

On the same note they can not see the Oh Fuck...uh ....uh... look on your face when they ask you a technical question and it takes a second to answer. On the phone you can have that OhFUCK look on your face while you beat aroudn the bush till your brain comes up with the right answer :)

She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

The one thing I like about phone interviews if things are going well they can not see the shit eating grin on your face or you dancing around from excitement :ph34r:

Or if you're wearing clothes.:$
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Try to ensure that they do not hear you keyboards when you are googling for answers to their questions:P

A group of us, (widely scattered geographically), were doing a con-call technical interview with a candidate for a network engineering position. The guy could generally answer the questions eventually, but was frequently hesitant/evasive up front. Immediately after the call, we (the interviewers), called into another call to discuss the candidate.

The first thing out of one of my co-workers: "Dammit! He was googling all those answers!":D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The first thing out of one of my co-workers: "Dammit! He was googling all those answers!":D

The one thing about technology I know is you can not know everything, but you should know how to get the information.

However, having said that you damn well better know most of what you need to know!! It is one thing to draw a blank on one or two things, but googling everything! Bwhahahahaha. Classic!

If i was nude on the call no one would ever know :) Though I might have a better chance at getting the gig :ph34r:
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Or she can just post the Q's as she gets them, and we can answer them for her.;)

Yeah, you don't want me answering accounting questions... just sayin'
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Hi Nat,

all interviews are being conducted via the phone

Well, there goes the edge that you might of had with that French Maid's outfit. :P

JerryBaumchen

I was SO waiting for that comment, but to be honest, I was expecting it from Ryoder!! :D:D

Thanks to everyone for all the useful advice :)

I think I'm ready to hit the hay!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss