skydiver30960

How to safely change the oil in a compact car?

Somebody here has/had a sig line about how the world was doomed when twenty-somethings needed a shop to change the oil in their cars instead of doing it themselves. I used to be that guy. BUT, lately I've been more and more hands-on with maintenance. Hey, I have to, I own a Jeep :P. I also own a (relatively) new Honda Civic. I did the first oil change in the repair bay of my old VFD, complete with pit, so it was easy. Now that pit is 2240 miles away, and I'm staring at my Civic in the driveway trying to figure out how to get it done. While I can easily fit myself under my Jeep, there is no way I'm going to wedge my fat ass into the 5" gap between the body of that Civic and the ground.

All I can come up with: steel ramps under the front wheels, chock the hell out of the rear wheels, apply emergency brake (usually routed to rear wheel or wheels), and work fast.

Any other suggestions?

Elvisio "flatflying is OK, but don't want to be a flat flyer" Rodriguez

Sounds good, and easy in theory... I know some of those cars, the oil filter is a BITCH to get to.

Good luck!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I know how to change the oil myself, but usually end up going to Walmart and paying the $20. The supplies alone cost about $15. Besides, like theonlyski said, the filters are a BITCH to get to. Even more so on the smaller cars.
Life is short, eat more bacon, have more sex and jump anytime you can!!

:D:D:D

Or the spark plugs on some modern Sports bikes ... bwhaaaaa..

Remove the tank
Remove the heat shield
Get a LONG plug spanner - those suckers are DEEP

If you never try ... you'll NEVER learn.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I never quite understood this. The local drive-in place will do it for you for practically the same cost in 20 minutes, and vacuum your car out, too. Some even throw in a tire rotation, too. For so little difference, why bother?

I never quite understood this. The local drive-in place will do it for you for practically the same cost in 20 minutes, and vacuum your car out, too. Some even throw in a tire rotation, too. For so little difference, why bother?

um, because they fuck up.... alot. they put the wrong weight oil in sister in law's saturn, caused leaks. stripped out the drain plug on mom's car....in both cases, denied the damage. [:/] i have wrenched on cars all my life, not really because i like too, just because i can, and i take my time and do it right, not like the quickie shops.

Remove the tank
Remove the heat shield

Or a Guzzi where the oil filter is INSIDE the motor:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

You don't have to work fast, the ramps will not collapse under the weight of a civic.

You should replace the little washer for the drain plug every time on a Honda. They sell them at the local auto parts places here, but not many people buy them. Get them from a dealer if nothing else.

Another alternative to using oil change places where you don't know what idiot is doing it, is to use a traditional repair shop (not just a quicky oil change place) where you can get to know the mechanic, and be a bit more certain of their ability to not do something stupid.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Remove the tank
Remove the heat shield

Or a Guzzi where the oil filter is INSIDE the motor:D:D

Some old motorcycles had centrifugal oil filters, like a centrifuge. I don't thing those were ever intended to be cleaned out.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

You may find that the bumper hits the ramps before the wheels do in some compacts. Just use a good hydraulic jack and jack stands.

If you have a top accessible oil filter there is a device called a Pela extractor that can vacuum the oil out through the dipstick tube and eliminates the need to get underneath at all. I've never been a fan, but since my Jetta requires the removal of something like 16 Torx screws and a skid plate to get at the oil drain, I may give one a try.

If we can mandate airbags, we should be able to mandate oil filters that removed without the need for a prehensile tail.

Ramps can be dangerous, don't use cheap ones, Jackstands and a Floor Jack are far better.

Jackstands need to be square at the bottom and need to be able to exceed the weight of the vehicle by 3x.

I know someone who died from using triangular jackstands, his wife who was divorcing him bumped the car he was under and it crushed him.

She did not get arrested as she claimed it was accidental.

um, because they fuck up.... alot. they put the wrong weight oil in sister in law's saturn, caused leaks. stripped out the drain plug on mom's car....in both cases, denied the damage. [:/] i have wrenched on cars all my life, not really because i like too, just because i can, and i take my time and do it right, not like the quickie shops.

Exactly!
Some of my personal experiences with so-called "professional" mechanics:

- Idiot mechanic put the lift pads under the sloping portions of the springs, and I watched my CJ-5 almost fall off the lift when all four pads slipped.

- Idiot mechanic bolted the steering stabilizer 3" off-center, and I almost hit a house on the first left turn after leaving the shop because it was impossible to turn left.

- Rough running after returning from the shop caused me to investigate under the hood, and found vacuum hoses left disconnected.

- Tune up that resulted in engine running worse than before the "tune up".

- Dealer installation of a radio (new car) resulted in radio not working because antenna was not connected.

And I have lots more.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

My tyres rotate every time I drive :P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Exactly!

- Idiot mechanic put the lift pads under the sloping portions of the springs, and I watched my CJ-5 almost fall off the lift when all four pads slipped.

- Idiot mechanic bolted the steering stabilizer 3" off-center, and I almost hit a house on the first left turn after leaving the shop because it was impossible to turn left.

- Rough running after returning from the shop caused me to investigate under the hood, and found vacuum hoses left disconnected.

- Dealer installation of a radio (new car) resulted in radio not working because antenna was not connected.

And I have lots more.

This is silly. It's an oil change. Been using the jiffy lube guys for 20 years, never once had a problem.

Remove the tank
Remove the heat shield

Oh shit yes give e something to laugh at :D:D:D:D

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Exactly!

And I have lots more.

This is silly. It's an oil change. Been using the jiffy lube guys for 20 years, never once had a problem.

Yup nary a problem... always the right stuff done the right way at my local one. Its very well run.

Other work... check out Les Schwab... the tire place... they are excellent for tires.. anything suspension related. I have been using them for 35 years.

A lot of those places don't exactly hire the cream of the crop. I've used a place like that once. I had a million things to do, & no time for that. I had to make time. They over-filled my brand new engine w/about 2.5 liters of extra oil. Never again. You want it done right? Do it yourself.

I briefly owned a '99 Civic (Bought new/hated it/traded it in a year). The perfectly safe driveway method I used was w/steel ramps. I had to buy those plastic ramp extensions because the damn thing sat so low to the ground. Otherwise, I couldn't get the car up the ramps (too steep an angle). Drive it up on the ramps. Chock a rear wheel for overkill (it isn't coming off the ramps). Off you go. As someone else already said, here. They purposely put the freakin oil filter on the back of the engine, high up (to coerce people to pay their service depts.). It's a messy b*tch to change it out. Get a good set of ramps w/extensions. They'll pay for themselves in two oil/filter changes.

If you have a top accessible oil filter there is a device called a Pela extractor that can vacuum the oil out through the dipstick tube and eliminates the need to get underneath at all

All the nasty dirty sediment settles to the bottom of the oil pan, you aren't going to be able to suck it out the top.

And a note on ramps to the OP. Don't get those cheap metal ones. You will drive yourself insane as every time you pull up to them the tires hit them and they just keep sliding forward. I just made some ramps for my friend who has a vette, super low. Really simple design, just took 2x12's, and layered them on top of each other making stairs in a very slight slope. Used some long carriage bolts to sandwich them tight. Looked like the text below when I was done.