SpeedRacer

Have you ever met anyone who believes in the 2012 end of the world

I keep hearing about the dec 21, 2012 mayan calendar end of the world rumor, but I have never met anyone who takes it seriously. (Archeologists who study the Mayans say it's BS) Have you ever met anyone who does?
I just want to see if there will still be sufficient hype for me to schedule a party & maybe do a website about it/try to make some money off it.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I heard it was just the year at which the Mayans stopped writing their future calender. It's like someone freaking out because they get to the end of December and there's nothing after it.

(In answer to your question, no, I've never met anyone that stupid)
My skydiving - http://unstable-exits.blogspot.com/

There was/is sufficient hype for NASA to release a QnA on the issue and explain some of the science often misused in the end of the world predictions for December 2012...http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

Yes, I have met plenty of people that are stupid enough to believe this stuff, but most people in my country are still riding kangaroos around as a form of transport.

All you naysayers are going to be awfully surprised when you wake up with no pulse on the 22nd.
I was there when Nanoo-Nanoo chiseled it out.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

All you naysayers are going to be awfully surprised when you wake up with no pulse on the 22nd.
I was there when Nanoo-Nanoo chiseled it out.

I believe.....

That if enough idiots do believe in it... they can form the basis for a self fulfilling prophecy.

Think of the book "Nightfall" by Issac Isamov

I watched a doc on the doomsday preparedness industry. Judging by the size of these guys' profits I'd say yes, there are a significant number of people who believe.
I've heard a couple of people mention it. The sort of people who read their horoscope. I think they believe in a Unitarian kind of way,...lets do a chant now.

Christmas as usual in my book.

However, I do remember seeing some t.v. show, or whatever, that was talking about this is one of those rare times in galactic history that all the planets will align or something similar.

I find it neat as an astronomical thing. End of the world thing; not so much.
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

What astronomical event is that? NASA says that 1) there won't be any planetary alignments for the next couple of decades and 2) The earth will not cross the galactic plane in 2012, so what astronomical event are you referring to that you find interesting?
Speed Racer

Why did they have to choose Dec 21?
That's too close to Christmas, and so any End of the World party you have will be competing with/overshadowed by holiday parties.

Piss-poor planning on the part of the Mayans.
Speed Racer

However, I do remember seeing some t.v. show, or whatever, that was talking about this is one of those rare times in galactic history that all the planets will align or something similar.

Don't believe everything you see on TV.

I find it neat as an astronomical thing. End of the world thing; not so much.

I find it neat as a viral/propaganda/gullibility thing. Astronomically; not so much.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I keep hearing about the dec 21, 2012 mayan calendar end of the world rumor, but I have never met anyone who takes it seriously. (Archeologists who study the Mayans say it's BS) Have you ever met anyone who does?
I just want to see if there will still be sufficient hype for me to schedule a party & maybe do a website about it/try to make some money off it.

can't say i have dude but then i would not be able to stop laughing if i did, same happens when i meet other fruit cakes usually religious :D sorry fold ks i will stand up and defend a persons right to worship who ever they want as long as they don't start preaching :D:D

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

My father has bought into it hook, line, and sinker. He doesn't think it's going to be the end of the world, but rather the "end of an era" with some sort of major catastrophe (like an asteroid hitting the earth, shifting the poles, rearranging the continents, or something like that). He has a garage full of dried and canned foods, 5-gallon buckets filled with things like evaporated milk and rice, and an arsenal of weapons to protect his stockpile when the rest of us naysayers come try to steal his food. He and his wife also went to Vegas last year to learn combat tactics (paid something like $5000 each for the course) so that they can put the weapons to good use. Oh, and he's going to be 76 this year, and his wife is 63...

I get a good laugh out of it. :D

Dec. 21st, 2012? Hell, I try to live like tomorrow is the end of the world. One day I'll be right.;)

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?