skymama

Ow, that hurt

I'm in the midst of packing up to move. Yesterday, I did a very stupid thing. My packing helpers were late and not wanting to get behind in my planned schedule (I always have a schedule in my head for the day), I didn't wait for anyone else to be around when I went to pull things off a pot shelf. I had been doing that for days, standing on a barstool even, what's the worst that could happen, right?

So, I pulled a 4' step ladder over to the 10' wall. The shelf is probably at 9', but I'm 5'7" so the math works out fine. :P I was able to get 3 items down with no problem, but I had one more item left, an angel, that was situated above a 3 tiered desk with a 19" tv on the top shelf; and yet I still thought I could reach that figurine. I turned away from the ladder and walked up backwards, thinking that if I just balance my foot on the second shelf that I could reach over the tv and get to the angel. I must have been tired, because I obviously wasn't thinking straight!

As you can imagine, the ladder shifted out from under me. I think I fell down onto the desk, because I have scrapes on my arms and big, bruised lumps on my thighs. The back of my head hit the wall and then the ladder came down and cracked my nose. It all happened before I even knew what was happening! I was dazed for a few seconds and then felt the blood release through my nose. Oh man, what a mess!

My daughter and her boyfriend walked in the door about 2 minutes later. They had just gotten back from a trip to the Bahamas, and got quite a shock with me screaming for help and blood gushing down my face. It was not the homecoming they were expecting! They put me in the car and drove me to the hospital, where Normiss met us. My nose is fractured, displaced and depressed; I need a nose job. Funny thing is that this is my 4th break, and will be my second nose job. B|

Lessons learned:
1. Ladders really are dangerous, even the short ones!
2. I need to be less independent. I don't like to inconvenience people and ask for help. People who care about me really don't mind helping.
3. I need to learn more patience. I was worried about "wasting" an hour as I waited for help to come, and I ended up wasting the whole day and will now have weeks of recovery once I get my nose fixed. My summer jumping season is probably ruined, all because I couldn't wait a little longer for some help. [:/]
4. I'm going to get rid of that heavy tv on the top desk shelf. It really could have crushed me. I think that angel figurine must have been watching over me.
5. I have a wonderful family and an awesome boyfriend who love me. He even bought me Easter candy to help me feel better.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Saw your posting on FB about this and was wondering about the details. All things considered, I think you're pretty lucky to "only" have the injuries you do.

Do we need to write an Andrea BSR? (Use only under adult supervision, for example.)

We're glad you will be ok.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Ouch! Glad you are okay. Your story painted a very vivid picture but you left the part out where you handed someone your beer and said “watch this”. I am also guilty of not wanting to bother people for help and it does get me into trouble. Hope you heal quickly.

My nose is fractured, displaced and depressed; I need a nose job. Funny thing is that this is my 4th break, and will be my second nose job. B|

Ugh!!!:S
I can feel for you, seriously.
I smashed my nose into concrete steps in Nov.
A week later, I had it set in the Dr's office.
Then two months later had surgery on it.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Ah hah, the old 4' ladder strikes again. :S

I've got a 4', 6' and 16' ladder. I've done unsafe things on all of them, but have been a touch luckier than you. I'm glad you didn't get hurt worse than you did.

Vskydiver broke 3 ribs years ago painting our old kitchen wall. Seems the extension ladder's feet didn't grip the vinyl floor very well while she was painting near the ceiling. Down she came, right on the edge of the counter. [:/}=]

Drop by the house and I'll loan you a bigger ladder. :)

That's a pretty elaborate story to make up to cover up the fact that Normiss is beating you. Don't worry, next time I see him I'll kick his ass!!! :D:D

Hey, he did buy her Easter candy to make her feel better. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::)
Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

That's a pretty elaborate story to make up to cover up the fact that Normiss is beating you. Don't worry, next time I see him I'll kick his ass!!! :D:D

Hey, he did buy her Easter candy to make her feel better. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::)

Yeah, all abusers appologize afterwards. Doesn't mean they won't do it again.

I think we need to start a protest and have Normiss banned. ;)

Normiss wouldn't hurt me. He's a lover, not a fighter. ;)

Going to the ENT doc this afternoon to get his assessment on what we need to do. I'm most upset about my skydiving being put on hold. This is the 5th year that my clumsiness has caused me to take extended times off from jumping. As Mark said, "why do you skydive?" :ph34r:

because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

As Mark said, "why do you skydive?" :ph34r:

Because apparently it's safer than living the rest of your life. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Considering what happened last time she went snowboarding, I must agree.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

:ph34r::ph34r: What's funny about that trip is I warned her about things that can get broken. I'll never forget when I got that phone call.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

girl - what for you keep doing this stuff to yourself

If you walk into a police station the first thing they would ask: Is your boyfriend left handed? If not, did he have a beer in his right hand?
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

:ph34r::ph34r: What's funny about that trip is I warned her about things that can get broken. I'll never forget when I got that phone call.

"We can rebuild her. We have the technology."

Because apparently it's safer than living the rest of your life.

I've always told people that I'm not going to die while skydiving, I'm going to die from something stupid like slipping on the soap in the shower. If that tv would have crashed down on me, I was pretty close to predicting my demise pretty accurately!

Saw the ENT today. He put me on the schedule for Monday to straighten my nose. He said there's a slight chance the swelling will go down before that and I'll find that I won't need it. You have to do this kind of surgery within 2 weeks of the injury, or you have to wait 6 months for a rhinoplasty. I'm supposed to move next Thursday, so having surgery 3 days before that fits perfectly into my life right now. :S

Saw the ENT today. He put me on the schedule for Monday to straighten my nose. He said there's a slight chance the swelling will go down before that and I'll find that I won't need it. You have to do this kind of surgery within 2 weeks of the injury, or you have to wait 6 months for a rhinoplasty. I'm supposed to move next Thursday, so having surgery 3 days before that fits perfectly into my life right now. :S

Hoping you don't need it. But if you do, this will be a test of your newfound resolve to be okay with accepting help. You can sit on the couch, mildly drugged up, and direct the action. At least until they move the couch, then you'll probably have to stand up. :ph34r:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hoping you don't need it. But if you do, this will be a test of your newfound resolve to be okay with accepting help. You can sit on the couch, mildly drugged up, and direct the action. At least until they move the couch, then you'll probably have to stand up. :ph34r:

She's small, just stay on the couch while they move it, and try to not roll off! :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

She's small, just stay on the couch while they move it, and try to not roll off! :D

That's what I was thinking. Sorta like a sedan chair. ;)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo