Squeak

NON iPod MP3 players

what are your recomendations for personal mobile media players that are not iPod products (they are very expensive and i can not cop to that just for a brand name).

around the 8 gig range prefered.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Zunes are in the same price range as iPods.

I've kind of made it a hobby to collect mp3 players and I've found that they fall into the very same "you get what you pay for" category as most other stuff.

That said, if I was to pick the cheapest thing I've tried that crossed the line best it would be the 4GB Sansa Clip

It was 25 percent of the coat of a 4GB Shuffle, had a visual display the Shuffle didn't have, took 4 times longer to get drivers working smoothly, but lasted twice as long banging around, getting dropped, etc.
Owned by Remi #?

But I should admit that in spite of the relatively large piles of Nanos, Zunes, Zens, Shuffles, Clips, etc. That I have to chose from, I almost always pick up my iPod Touch.

It's by far the most versatile mp3 player I have.
Owned by Remi #?

Im mostly after a gym player.
I already have an iPhone 3 (size wise it's not as practical)
i'd like a little versitility but my priority is for gym tunes, or the like
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I can't see how you could go wrong with either the iPod Shuffle or Nano.

Is it JUST the brand you dislike? The technology, ease of use and design is damn near bulletproof and for something you just clip on and work out with . . . seriously . . . near perfect.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

How about the "in the pocket" test?
That one can pause and resume music, and adjust the volume, just by grabbing the gadget without looking at it?
That's one thing some of us worry about touch screen devices, even if they allow large screens and otherwise easy to use interfaces.

Is it JUST the brand you dislike? The technology, ease of use and design is damn near bulletproof and for something you just clip on and work out with . . . seriously . . . near perfect.

Because the nano is $170 for a 8 gig
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Well, $150, but the 2 gig one is only $50.

I doubt you're going to find something in that price range that's as easy to use and well built.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Well, $150, but the 2 gig one is only $50.

I doubt you're going to find something in that price range that's as easy to use and well built.

It's $170, i dont live in the USA
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

i have a phillips, it's 2GB but i didn't pay for it, i found it while working at a detail shop for an auto auction. it works great, battery lasts a long time, had it for 3 years now and it's easy as hell to put music on, no need for any kind of software, just load it from a folder.
http://kitswv.com

Have had a Sony Walkman NWZ model i liked it variable types of music wav mp3 etc and it worked well it wasn't extremely loud at the top end but it was ok for me and i liked it. Even though i dropped it a few times it was fine and small but had a 8gb capacity for me. sadly when i had my motorbike accident it died with a dent in the side of the hard drive case [:/]

Found that when replacing it prices had risen a fair bit for Mp3:o, so after much searching got another 8gb sandisk fuze+ which appears to be fine and just as good as the old Walkman :):D she was not impressed and i tend to rub it in quite a bit :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Expensive is not always best just forget all the hype and check out reviews before buying :)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I've had a Zen X-Fi for about 4 years now. Still the best mp3 player I've ever owned, and it supports multiple file formats for video, audio, or pictures. No conversions necessary, and no 3rd party software to move files over. I've used it in Windows and Linux without a problem. Works for Mac too. The 32gb version is only $155 USD. It also has an SD card slot that makes the storage unlimited, but the 32gb has been fine for my use. I'd buy another one if I needed it, but I store a new playlist for each activity that I do (weights, cardio, snowboarding, skateboarding, mtn biking, climbing...). I love this mp3 player, and it's taken several tumbles with me off of bikes, boulders, boards, etc, and keeps on ticking. It has gotten near daily use ever since I got it.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Player-Wireless-Built-Speaker/dp/B001CB0RT0

I just bought an 8GB Walkman which I like very much. Cheap, great battery life, great sound. Only issue for me is that the included software isn't compatible with my 64bit XP machine. No biggie thought, because the supplied software is usually crap anyway.
I believe you have my stapler.

I have an 8 gig Scandisc Sansa Fuse. Paid less than $80 at Amazon. After doing lots of research went with this one because it has a micro card slot I can have more than the internal memory of tunes on tap at any time.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

I've got a Sansa Fuze. (Not the Fuze+ that has a bit fiddly touchpad) They're not as sophisticated in in the interface as the Sony's, but they are functional and have easy to read screens. No special s/w needed. (Except for transcoding videos, as they only take a very specific video format.) Refurbished ones are cheap and one can stick in a big uSD card. The controls are particularly good for activating without looking at them. Not the "best" solution but acceptable.