Opendore

What in the world is this captcha??

"Stonehenge tured."

I think that's a "tureci," no?

I know this image is posted as a joke, but...

Captcha uses a system that takes a word from an old book that they scanned in and pairs it with a "real" word. Only the "real" word counts, and will still allow you to continue. Many times, you'll get a real word and a part of a word that was scanned. Only one of those matter though. Chances are, if you know one of the words (or can decipher it) and just put in letters for the other word, it'll pass.

So if you end up with a word like in the image and you don't feel like hitting "refresh," just go for it.

Hey, I got one of those myself today also, from Craigslist. See attached. The first word is what?
I hate those darn things. I've always figured there is some kind of algorithm, so that if you get it about 80% correct, it still passes the test.

Hey, I got one of those myself today also, from Craigslist. See attached. The first word is what?
I hate those darn things. I've always figured there is some kind of algorithm, so that if you get it about 80% correct, it still passes the test.

Thats googles recaptcha, one word is known, one isn't.
Normally the illegible one is not known;-) Google uses this for it's book scanning project to identify words that OCR(Optical Character Recognition) can't. If enough people enter the same word, google implies that it was correctly identified...

Normally the illegible one is not known;-) Google uses this for it's book scanning project to identify words that OCR(Optical Character Recognition) can't. If enough people enter the same word, google implies that it was correctly identified...

If that's true, that's an awesome idea on googles part! :D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

If that's true, that's an awesome idea on googles part! :D:D

It's a clever idea to get the public to do editting for you, but the problem is, that leaves thousands of people out there struggling to make sense of something, often failing, and having to try over and over again before successfully completing a transaction. So from the customer's perspective, it's a horrible idea.

I thought the whole idea of this verification procedure was to prevent automated responses from other computers, mining the data for their own nefarious purposes. This based upon the principle that the human brain can decipher garbled letters, while a computer character reader can't.

that leaves thousands of people out there struggling to make sense of something, often failing, and having to try over and over again before successfully completing a transaction. So from the customer's perspective, it's a horrible idea.

Agreed. The concept is ok, but the execution is a big, fat fail.

("Mom, Dad's yelling at the computer again!")

It's a clever idea to get the public to do editting for you, but the problem is, that leaves thousands of people out there struggling to make sense of something, often failing, and having to try over and over again before successfully completing a transaction. So from the customer's perspective, it's a horrible idea.

sadly this is the only way to reliably recognize bots and scripts. A lot of other captchas have already been compromised... Re Captcha remains as one of the most successful... Other attempts to solve the bot/human problem include things like: Click on the picture of the cat, showing 6 pictures of animals.... This maybe a more elegant solution, though you would need millions of pictures in your database or way to dynamically edit them...

I think this is a very interesting problem because usability and reliability have to be very carefully weighted...

I thought the whole idea of this verification procedure was to prevent automated responses from other computers, mining the data for their own nefarious purposes. This based upon the principle that the human brain can decipher garbled letters, while a computer character reader can't.

Yep, that's exactly what its for.