beezyshaw

pull-up cords

OK, so I've had a bloody mary and I'm feelin' a little loose...I just got through packing my rig for the weekend, and when I didn't have my fancy, advertising-imprinted, $0.35 a pop pull-up cord handy I grabbed a "real" pull-up cord out of my rigging kit. By "real" pull-up cord I mean a good ole' nice long piece of gutted 550...the real deal. Damn, how much better is this for closing containers than that 3/4 tape with ink on it that you have to line up the little points that isn't long enough to get a good wrap so that you can really get some leverage and it's hot knifed so that it tears up your closing loop much quicker pull-up cord crap that everybody uses these days? And along the same lines, how 'bout those little sissy necklace thingies that people use to close a container that you have to put the little loop over the little bar and all that bs and then un-do the little thingy when you get done so that you can put it back on your neck?

GIVE ME A GOOD OLE' PIECE OF GUTTED 550 ANY DAY OVER ALL THIS OTHER CRAP PEOPLE USE TO CLOSE THEIR CONTAINERS...WHY DID I CONFORM ALL THESE YEARS TO THE MASSES?

that is all, over and out

... those sissy necklace things, by the way. It's called a packing tool (or so I am told).

Actually, when they first came out, I was in Europe at the World Cup in Portugal, and I remember it being referred to as a "pack boy". I'm not so sure about the sound of "pack boy" :)
And speaking of those things, I borrowed one to close my rig at the dz last weekend, and as far as getting that thing out from under your closing pin/loop, they're the WORST! I'll bet people who use those have to replace their closing loop 3 times as often as someone who properly uses gutted 550; In fact I'd put money on it.

I used a "pack boy" packing tool all last year when I was packing full time. It was faster than anything else I could find and easier on my hands. The line is 550 I believe but it has fingertrapped loops on it. I pull the loop under the pin just like any other closing device.

But I dont wear it around my neck and I dont find it hard to use at all.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

"real" pull-up cord I mean a good ole' nice long piece of gutted 550...

What do you do to the ends of the 550 cord to keep it from unraveling into a mess?

I agree that the large majority of pull-up cords are made too short. they should be long enough to wrap once around your fist, for positive hold.

No, they use spectra line, probably the cypres closing loop material, but definitely not 550. My issue is the bulk of the thing where you have to pull it out of your closing loop has some sewing and it just doesn't pull out as smooth as gutted 550. And to me it's time-consuming to put it together then take it apart.

probably the cypres closing loop material

Yup, that's exactly what it is.

My experience as a packer was that I could close rigs a LOT faster using a pack boy/packing tool then a "standard" pull-up chord, but then again, I never used any gutted 550...I'm going to have to try that.

It also seemed that closing loops lasted longer using a packboy then a pull-up chord, even when done "right" pulling the materal under the pin to protect the loop and pulling slowly so to keep heat/friction down.

*I* like using one, but that's just me.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What do you do to the ends of the 550 cord to keep it from unraveling...

That's the point, you don't do anything. The soft feathered ends prevent closing loop damage. You fold the 550 over itself a few inches from the end and that's what you poke through each container grommet. It's much quicker than lining up the points of modern-day pull-up cords.

What do you do to the ends of the 550 cord to keep it from unraveling into a mess?

let it unravel and trim it off once in a while.

The wide tape type of pull-ups are brutal on closing loops.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I'm not familiar with line types, but 550 doesn't take up much volume either, especially when gutted. It could easily be used as an "emergency" pull up cord for off landings and what not, especially if you use it as a shoelace (I've had to use 550 cord to lace up boots when the laces got shredded on concertina wire, so I know it can be done).

Mike

Another way to prevent closing loop wear from extracting the pull-up...

I pull enough extra of the closing loop through the last grommet so that I can put in the pin, easily press the loop against the grommet, and extract the pull-up without any resistance at all.

You might think this means that my closing loop is too loose, but I think my closing loop is too tight if I can't do it.

edit - I've only seen two others do this, any more?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Ditto....

I use pull-up cords to decorate my gear bag. I've been using gutted 550 to close my rig for almost 4 years now.

I keep several lengths in my gear bag and I keep a couple of lengths hidden in the data-card pocket on my rig in case I need to do some field packing.

I love that stuff.B|
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I pull enough extra of the closing loop through the last grommet so that I can put in the pin, easily press the loop against the grommet, and extract the pull-up without any resistance at all.
I've only seen two others do this, any more?
----------------------------------------------------------
yup, I've been using that method for years.

-----------------------------------
Sure, that's a great trick. Makes a closing loop last a long time.

I thought everybody knew that gutted 550 was the best pull up cord. What do you think we did with all those 7TU's and T10's we took out of service?
Those wide ribbons are fun but good for absolutely
nothing except advertising. Some have even been hurt when they break and they punch themselves in the face and some have been hurt badly when they tried to make some makeshift dive loops out of them. Pull up ribbons are just for fun, not for utility.
If you feel the need for a sissy pad just make your 550 pull up long enough to wrap it around you hand twice.

"when done "right" pulling the materal under the pin to protect the loop and pulling slowly so to keep heat/friction down"

Probably the biggest factor in extending closing loop life, IMO.

Bugz the pants off me to see people ignore this simple step.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

"when done "right" pulling the materal under the pin to protect the loop and pulling slowly so to keep heat/friction down"

Probably the biggest factor in extending closing loop life, IMO

Maybe a close second to using something for a pull-up cord that doesn't have any rough ends to damage the loop when you pull it out (like sissor-cut gutted 550, maybe?)

So, moral of the story is, use the right material and the right technique and your closing loop will last a long time and closing your container is much easier.

Beezy,

I may be as old and as grumpy as you, but I use modern tools, inventing the occassional tool when I am not bright enough to learn how to use the old tools (i.e. steel T-bodkins).
Back in the old days I used gutted 550 cord until it tore up my dainty, lady-like hands.
Then I used binding tape for a decade or two.
But - in this century - I have only used packboys, because they vastly reduce wear and tear to my fingers.