iluvtofly

Weird Craigslist Ad

So it cant be read as a phone number by a scanning system. Just like you might type eener at dropzone dot com
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Also so that it won't show up on a search done normally for a phone number. A lot of shady dealers sell used cars on craigs list by getting straw sellers to pretend they own it and sell it from their home. This way they avoid regulations on car dealers. If you ever show up at someones home to look at a car, and the person (typically, a recent immigrant) doesn't seem to know a lot about it, doesn't have title to show you (or has title which shows someone else owns it), and claims it's owned by their cousin, chances are its really a dealer car. (And likely one with a major issue that they want to hide.)

A way to find out which ones are these people in advance is to search for the contact phone number, you often find it attached to ads for other cars (or in some cases for the actual dealership).

Always asked the purported seller about their ownership history, and then ask see the title to the car. Leave immediately if the title doesn't match their story, it doesn't belong to them, is titled at a different address, or was very recently acquired.

HA! a subsequent google search of "678-622-5584" pulls up this:

http://www.gwinnettcarcare.com/content/bbs/board.php?bo_table=preowned&wr_id=7

Thanks! And thanks for the helpful tips. It's been a while since I bought a car. And last time I had the money to go to a dealership. This time I'm pretty limited to Craigslist. Fortunately I have a friend who has been a mechanic at a dealership for 20 years helping me. He's been around the game enough to know what to look for. He does a lot of buying and selling of cars himself that he fixes up too. So not only is he helping me avoid scams, but he's also checking out any car I'm interested in to make sure it won't die on me or give me some real immediate problems (yes, I know there is always the possiblity of something going wrong soon after, but he can at least check for the major stuff and will probably catch a few "small" problems that I wouldn't see that could potentially turn into big problems pretty quick).

Also... lest we forget.

Right now there are probably thousands of cars that were totaled by insurance companies after being in the floods all across the Mississippi, Missouri and Ohio River basins. Those cars are bought up... by dealers and shops and made to "run" again.. but will always have mold issues with the interior upholstery.. seats.. carpets etc.. and you can pretty much kiss the electronics and wiring good bye.

Carefull.... GET a CAR FAX and make sure it was not in a flood. I had a friend get burned big time who one of those POS vehicles... and it was never right.

Also so that it won't show up on a search done normally for a phone number. A lot of shady dealers sell used cars on craigs list by getting straw sellers to pretend they own it and sell it from their home. This way they avoid regulations on car dealers. If you ever show up at someones home to look at a car, and the person (typically, a recent immigrant) doesn't seem to know a lot about it, doesn't have title to show you (or has title which shows someone else owns it), and claims it's owned by their cousin, chances are its really a dealer car. (And likely one with a major issue that they want to hide.)

A way to find out which ones are these people in advance is to search for the contact phone number, you often find it attached to ads for other cars (or in some cases for the actual dealership).

Always asked the purported seller about their ownership history, and then ask see the title to the car. Leave immediately if the title doesn't match their story, it doesn't belong to them, is titled at a different address, or was very recently acquired.

And how do YOU know so much about how this is done....?
:P

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Also... lest we forget.

Right now there are probably thousands of cars that were totaled by insurance companies after being in the floods all across the Mississippi, Missouri and Ohio River basins. Those cars are bought up... by dealers and shops and made to "run" again.. but will always have mold issues with the interior upholstery.. seats.. carpets etc.. and you can pretty much kiss the electronics and wiring good bye.

Carefull.... GET a CAR FAX and make sure it was not in a flood. I had a friend get burned big time who one of those POS vehicles... and it was never right.

I was gonna say that the most likely reason to do this is to avoid federal and some state regs with regards to used car sales. Run away.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne