CornishChris

Identify a plane

I am lucky enough to live very near the Imperial War Museum at RAF Duxford in Cambridgeshire, UK. As such not only do I get free membership I also get to see all of the planes flying over my house. I snapped this one a few days ago but am having a struggle to identify it - can anyone help.

I honestly believe this will take the brains on here about 30 seconds...

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

I am lucky enough to live very near the Imperial War Museum at RAF Duxford in Cambridgeshire, UK. As such not only do I get free membership I also get to see all of the planes flying over my house. I snapped this one a few days ago but am having a struggle to identify it - can anyone help.

I honestly believe this will take the brains on here about 30 seconds...

Looks like what I know as a Harvard. The SA Air Force used to use them as primary trainers in the old days.

Thanks Guys - mystery solved as quickly as I thought. I searched T-6 Duxford and there are dozens of photos of the exact plane!

I will post some more when I have them - the best so far is the Lancaster Bomber that passes over the house at about 150 feet - just magnificent! You may also be interested to know that there is an American War Memorial in our village as a flight group flying Mustangs was stationed here during the war...

Edited to Add: I think it may have been a Harvard that William Ash jumped out of to 'test' his parachute during the war. In his book 'Under the Wire' he talks about being issued a bail out rig and him and a friend took up a plane at night, flew it upside down and he jumped to see if it worked - a pioneer of our sport and all round legend.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

An-2:P

negative, the An-2 is a russian cargo biplane... wait wait.... :):P:D

This isn't 'Nam, Smokey, this is Bonfire, and there are rules!
It's always an An-2!>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

They were pretty easy, especially the Lightning which is still flying around outside. It is incredibly fast - I'm damn lucky to live here.

We have a few around the Pacific NW.... Paul Allen owns a couple.. and there is one at the Boeing Mueseum in Seattle.. one at Evergreen in McMinville and one at Tillimook OR..

The amount of them made and the amount still remaining flying of most of the WWII Warbirds is really amazing, as most were scrapped long ago[:/]