futuredivot

Frankiln Airshow Crash

Amanda's out of surgery and everything went perfect!!! They were able to remove the majority of her burned tissue and have even started grafting procedures. This surgery was performed several days earlier than normal due to Amanda's youth and excellent physical health. She is a real fighter and is progressing ahead of schedule. We were told that this was likely the most risky and most extensive surgery she will experience so from an operating side, it is all down hill from here! Her next surgery is scheduled for late next week at this point. Kyle is recovering well and is scheduled for skin grafting surgery on Friday. As I stated before, please consider no news good news so we will likely not post again unless something changes for the next several days. Thank you all again for the support and prayers.

The latest from Kyle:

Up to this point most people did not no the extent of Amanda’s injuries, that was because we were still finding them out ourselves.

As of today Amanda is in “stabilized” condition but please keep in mind that “stabilized” does not necessarily mean “stable”, she remains in the Burn Intensive Care Unit.

She sustained a significant inhalation injury from inhaling smoke and fire, because of this, she has a breathing tube and a machine helping her breath.

She is burned on almost 70% of her body. 64% of which are “Full Thickness” or “3rd Degree” burns. This includes her face.

She sustained numerous fractures to her face and orbital bones around her eyes. As fare as they can tell she can still see fine.

She also sustained fractures to her neck and back. In other words she has a broken neck and back but at this time she does not appear to be paralyzed.

That is the bulk of her major injuries and there are many more that I will not list. But the good news is she’s young, healthy, athletic, in great shape and she’s a fighter. The doctors keep bragging on how strong she is and how well she did in her 1st surgery. Amanda goes back in for her 2nd surgery tomorrow morning around 7am. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. I will let you know how things go tomorrow.

Update 3/25/2011:

Sorry I have not been keeping up with the up dates. Between the doctors, my physical therapy, fund raising, emails, phone calls and everything else, I have a hard time keeping up with it all. Sorry. I am doing fine and I should be discharged from the hospital on Sunday or Monday. Amanda is doing very well for the most part. They rotated her and her bed to a 45 degree angle for about 40 minutes today which is very good for her. My physical therapist came running in to my room the tell me about it and what a big step it was for Amanda's recovery. Amanda is also down to 30% on her ventilator which is also really good. Amanda did have a surgery yesterday on her hands and unfortunately it did not go really well, but it could have been even worse. The doctors had to amputate half the length of her fingers and thumb on her right hand and the same on 3 fingers on her left. They were able to save her thumb and pinky on her left hand. In technical terms they amputated the Distal phalanges and the Intermediate phalanges. She goes back to surgery this morning around eight to try to fix all the fractures in her face and around her eye. I saw the x-rays and the doctors have a lot of work. I pray they do their best work ever. I asked the doctors today about how long it might be before Amanda is awake and talking. They guessed about 2 months. Amanda has a very long, hard and expensive road ahead of her. I ask everyone to pray for her and for those who are able to donate to one of Amanda's funds to please do so. Every dollar counts and the Franklin and Younkin families will forever cherish your support to help Amanda. Thank you all and God bless you. I will let you know how things went tomorrow night.

Thank you again, love you all,

Kyle

just read some news on this incident. sounds as if amanda has taken a turn for the worst. they have elected to place her on comfort care. best wishes and vibes to the family in this most difficult time after such a long battle.
dont let life pass you by

Heartbreaking...[:/] They seemed to be such a wonderful young couple.

They truly were very special.

Airshow performers are even more tight-knit than the Skydiving community, if that's possible.

...anyone that knew Amanda couldn't help but be enriched by her beauty both inside and out.

Amanda's brother Matt Younkin is also a top notch airshow performer, his message at the end of this video is poignant and something we should all take a moment to think about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oyUddt3HWU&feature=player_embedded#at=16

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I am so terribly sorry !

My prayers got out to her friends & family !

No doubt she is now soaring as the angel her character & beauty, personified !

I found myself wondering how they were doing just yesterday, as we were informed of a good friend of our's, seriously injured in a skydiving incident in Omro !

~ BlueSkies & Peaceful Flights ~

I spent Sun-N-Fun waiting on Amanda to sneak up and give me a hug-I expect Oshkosh will be the same way. Just got no words

Jim, I do appreciate that you tracked me down to give me the news. It was much better coming from one of the family instead of CNN
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

From a friend's FB page
"Posted on WIX today by aerojock.........................

I work at a radar approach control in Texas and today a Beech 18 flew through our airspace, call sign “AMANDA1”. Amanda was going home. We had received a phone call about the flight and that the special call sign had been requested for the flight. While this was not an official c...all sign for the plane, we used it to honor her. We would call each facility that was going to work the flight and pass on the reason for the call sign. I cannot speak for the entire flight but I know that our facility used it and so did the next. I have to believe it was used the entire flight. I felt honored to have worked the flight."
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

From a friend's FB page
"Posted on WIX today by aerojock.........................

I work at a radar approach control in Texas and today a Beech 18 flew through our airspace, call sign “AMANDA1”. Amanda was going home. We had received a phone call about the flight and that the special call sign had been requested for the flight. While this was not an official c...all sign for the plane, we used it to honor her. We would call each facility that was going to work the flight and pass on the reason for the call sign. I cannot speak for the entire flight but I know that our facility used it and so did the next. I have to believe it was used the entire flight. I felt honored to have worked the flight."

It was Amanda's brother Matt flying her home.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~