futuredivot

Frankiln Airshow Crash

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Franklins_Critically_Injured_In_Air_Show_Mishap_204254-1.html

AvWeb is reporting both in Critical Condition.

Hey Divot, I have a call in to someone I know working ground at the show, let ya know if I hear anything.

I really HATE the business sometimes!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Jim, this update was posted on Facebook this morning by Chris Porter:

Franklin Update
All, Please forward this letter on to who ever you see fit... Good morning all. Let me first express on behalf of Amanda, Kyle, Myself and both of our families so many thanks for all of your prayers and well wishes. We are all so fortunate to have s...uch a wonderful support network in all of you. We are still waiting for updates and it could be many hours, days, or weeks before we know exactly how the recovery process will play out between Amanda and Kyle. I can however report that Kyle was not injured and or burned as badly as reported earlier by the media and is expected to make a full and rapid recovery. I can also say that the updates we are receiving on Amanda are increasingly optimistic and though she has a long road of recovery ahead of her, the doctors are giving us the impression that things are not as bad as first reported and her chances for a full recovery are getting better not worse. The first 24 hours will set the tone for the story ahead. I also have to extend a very sincere thanks to my brother-in-law Kyle who I strongly credit for the fact that my little sister is still with us. Having witnessed the accident and being on of the first on the scene, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that he made no less than five quick decisions in the air and on the ground that gave her a second chance at life!! When the engine quit, Amanda was on the top wing in the rack. Kyle continued to fly the airplane in a straight and level fashion as long as he could to give Amanda every opportunity to unstrap and get into the front cockpit where she would have the best chance in the event of a hard landing. He also resisted the tendency to turn for the pavement which typically induces a fatal stall/spin situation. He avoided a landing in the pyro field which could have proven to be fatal, and faced with the only other option of land in mesquite woods, Kyle landed into the wind drastically reducing the forward speed at impact. Upon reaching the scene, I noticed that he set the airplane down in the only Waco sized piece of ground in that dense woods that didn't have tall trees in it. Kyle sustained the majority of his burns trying to pull his wife from the wreckage and when his efforts produced no results, he stayed in the cockpit and transmitted a repeating distress call about the post impact fire that had started. I honestly believe this motivated the rapid responders to press through the brush and douse the airplane at a more rapid rate which meant the split second difference that saved Amanda, who was still in the plane. The first responders on the scene did an excellent job of responding to the situation in a rapid manner. Having a professional air boss teamed up with professional CFR personnel made a world of difference that could be the single most important factor that both Amanda and Kyle are still with us. Please continue to send your thoughts and prayers this direction because we sincerely believe they are helping. I will pass updates along as I receive them.
Sincerely Matt
By: Younkin Airshows

Thanks for the update. I can see from his youtube videos that Kyle is a hell of a skilled pilot and now I see he makes good decisions under extreme pressure, not an easy thing to do. I'm sure you are all doing everything you can do to insure Amanda gets the best medical care available. Our hearts and prayers are with her, wishing her the speediest healing possible.

Hope they recover quickly. Such awesome people. There is video at liveleak.com, but I'll let someone else post it, if they wish.

There are a couple of links for videos at the AV Web site that I linked in my prior post.

I've been looking hard at the tape~

Transitioning toward airshow center, at :59 seconds into the video you can tell the engine is just starting to eat itself,

at 1:05 there is fire at the lower cowl, prop quits & Amanda starts down off the wing.

1:16 the Waco impacts.

I've known Kyle since he was about 7 or 8 years old, kind of watched him grow up as a part of the airshow industry.

I've seen Kyle go through triumph and tragedy, both extreme far ends of the spectrum, and I mean in ways most of us couldn't begin to fathom.

I remember Jimmy talking about letting Kyle fly well before letting him drive...and the laughs that went along with the punchline to 'that' story.

I liked Kyle from the first moment I met him...it was in bar, and yeah he was 7 or 8 years old and hanging with the big dogs.
Hard NOT to like him, physically, mentally, intellectually, competitively...Professionally ~ he IS the top of the pyramid.

All that being said... I never thought I could respect the guy more, ~ until I watched the video.

ELEVEN seconds from 'Oh Shit' to 'Aw Shit'.

We sport skydivers...we tend to pride ourselves on staying cool, thinking fast...but we for the most part ingrain our emergency procedures, we have our back-ups to the back-ups, and if all else fails hopefully the batteries are good and the cutter is sharp.

ELEVEN SECONDS~ down & dirty in a heavy bi-wing when the spinner quits, gotta get your WIFE down from the top wing, she's harnessed there BTW...into the front cockpit where maybe there is 1/2 a chance to grab a seat belt, while keeping it away from the crowd, having to steer it into the ground 'cause it's falling not flying.

Takes longer to read it than he had to do it, life or death.

I'm saddened by the thoughts of what Kyle and Amanda are going through now, and what they will go through in the unforeseen future. I know guys bitching about rehabbing an ankle or a shoulder.

But then again I'm kind of happy in a way.
They're alive... and speaking as someone with over 30 years in the airshow industry, I've seen better situations turn out worse, many many times.

No doubt what so ever in my mind, that Kyle and Amanda will overcome what's ahead. I know they will again be healthy and happy, it's just a question of time.

Certainly is NOT a question of effort, determination and drive, 'cause like I said... I know Kyle.

Eleven Seconds...:S

I remember when Amanda snuck up behind me gave me a peck on the cheek and a hug-huge grin on her face and said "Guess who's a wingwalker?". There's just no stopping that girl. It's tough to find a couple as personable and professional as those two. Very dependable and organized in business-Pirated Skies, Sons of Legends, Franklin Flying Circus-never a problem, never lets me down. Kyle, Amanda, and Matt are so much fun to hang around, work with. Gonna be an empty spot at Sun 'n Fun this year.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

I just viewed the video..my heart hurts for what they went through & will to come !

They will continue to be in my prayers !

As tragic as it is...it is absolutely ADMIRABLE, as well !

Your words describing them are a wonderful tribute & characterization of them personally & professionally, & are appreciated whether they are known by us all, or not !

I was thinking pretty much the same.
From the time that a problem started to appear, Amanda got back into the cockpit extremely quickly. It seemed a well practiced move. Not sure there was time for a seatbelt though, even if they had a faster than normal method rigged up.

The big biplane sure lost energy quickly, even coming out of a descending maneuver. Enough to turn a little away from obstacles (the pyro setup apparently), but nothing left for a flare. Looked like he took it in with quite a bit of descent rate. A tough situation to be faced with.

Damnit! I just heard about the accident this morning. As others have said, you can't find a more professional, or nicer family. I was lucky enough to know Jimmy Franklin and Bobby Younkin as well before their tragic accident. My thoughts and prayers go out to both families during this troubling time.

The latest news:

Kyle has minor burns to his hands and arms and is San Antonio with Amanda and is admitted to the hospital but only for observation. Amanda is being kept under sedation with 3rd degree burns to 70% of her body. At this time she is in critical but a stable condition. Her lungs are fine (which is REALLY REALLY good news) and their is no infections at his time. as many of you know infections from burns are extremely dangerous. Kyle and Amanda will have a long road to recovery and a friend of the family was appointed by Matt to take care of daily updates for everyone to follow. Matt is calling her every night for her to update the web page. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amandafranklin The page was set up last night so there is not alot of information on it yet but will have soon. Matt has asked for anyone wanting to contact them to go through the caring bridge website and Justina will relay it to him. He has been getting tons of calls and emails and just can not keep up. He aslo said that the hospital rules prohibit flower deliveries so please keep that in mind. I will also report in here as I get updates but please keep the younkin and franklin families in your thoughts and prayers b/c the road to recovery will be a long and challenging one for the entire family.

The latest news:

Kyle has minor burns to his hands and arms and is San Antonio with Amanda and is admitted to the hospital but only for observation. Amanda is being kept under sedation with 3rd degree burns to 70% of her body. At this time she is in critical but a stable condition. Her lungs are fine (which is REALLY REALLY good news) and their is no infections at his time. as many of you know infections from burns are extremely dangerous. Kyle and Amanda will have a long road to recovery and a friend of the family was appointed by Matt to take care of daily updates for everyone to follow. Matt is calling her every night for her to update the web page. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amandafranklin The page was set up last night so there is not alot of information on it yet but will have soon. Matt has asked for anyone wanting to contact them to go through the caring bridge website and Justina will relay it to him. He has been getting tons of calls and emails and just can not keep up. He aslo said that the hospital rules prohibit flower deliveries so please keep that in mind. I will also report in here as I get updates but please keep the younkin and franklin families in your thoughts and prayers b/c the road to recovery will be a long and challenging one for the entire family.

Clicky for the caringbridge website~

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amandafranklin

Thank you for taking the time to update us.

From a couple of hours ago: Amanda is through the first half of today's surgery and her vital signs are very good. The doctor said she was a real trooper. She has about two more hours of surgery but everything looks very good. Kyle is doing very,very good. They are planning to start skin grafting on him soon.

The latest news:

Can't see the caring bridge site without making a caringbridge account, FYI.

Note: if you make a donation on the caring bridge site, it goes to support caring bridge, not Amanda.

The latest news:

Can't see the caring bridge site without making a caringbridge account, FYI.

Note: if you make a donation on the caring bridge site, it goes to support caring bridge, not Amanda.

Creating an account is basically just giving them an email address for updates, and it allows you to post a message in the guest book.

Unfortunately, I've been a member for quite some time & I get updates through there on several airshow friends.

I urge people that know or have seen the Franklin's perform to leave a greeting in the guest book, it's nice knowing people care.