ryoder

Nasty motorcycle crash video

I'm not really on board with the whole "a biker died so the driver of the car is evil" bandwagon. I don't think anyone goes out in the morning and says ,"I'm gonna kill someone today".

Some people do drive like assholes though, as do some bikers. But if we are going to make the decision to remove the cage from around us we damn sure better take on the responsibility for our own safety.

This guy was going way faster then he should have been. Evendent by traffic in both videos and the fact he moved the SUV when he hit it. His reaction time was slow, Although we don't know if he just passed the car that was behind him.

One thing for sure. If you are going to ride a motorcycle like that in the urban enviroment, you better have your head out of your ass and be prepared for stuff like that.

It's not just the urban environment.

Recently, I was on the freeway doing 5 mph more than the surrounding traffic (medium volume). Flipped my left blinker on in preparation of a lane change. Thank goodness, I realized a motorcyclist was closing fast around the traffic, just as I started to make the move. I immediately aborted.

He passed me doing about 40 more than the rest of us, followed by five more of his crotch-rocket cronies.

It's this stuff that makes me wonder. I have a car that will allow me to do significantly more that the traffic will bear, but just because I can, doesn't make it smart.

BTW, I have never seen this behavior in the big bikes such as Harleys.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

:D:D theres a reason for that...:D:D THEY"RE HARLEYS:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

no one noticed the lady on the report that said "The only thing I could do for him was pray over him and ask god....."

WTF? Just who I want at MY accident scene when I am laying there bleeding.....

Yeap - they did -- see post #4:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Agreed.
Just being on a HD, everyone knows you're cool.
If you are riding anything else, you need to put on a performance to let them know you're cool.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Agreed.
If you are riding anything else, you need to put on a performance to let them know you're cool.:D
yea, THAT's the reason, not the shit handling and piss poor performance:D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Agreed.

Don't be silly, Squeak;
If performance is what you wanted, you wouldn't be buying a HD.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Agreed.

Don't be silly, Squeak;
If performance is what you wanted, you wouldn't be buying a HD.:P

Motorcycles are like canopies, most people don't have the skill to get all of the performance out of whatever they own.

Motorcycles are like canopies, most people don't have the skill to get all of the performance out of whatever they own.

But the ladies don't swoon over the guy who can squeeze the last ounce of performance out of his 125.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Watching that makes me sick to my stomach, but it prompted me to read about emergency stops to refresh my memory...

I personally think that it's quite rare when something is 100% one person's fault - usually there are *several* contributing factors... Looks like the driver had no business turning like he did... Looks like the biker could have avoided the crash or at least minimised it... And for sure, driving off was a bastard thing to do.

Thanks for posting - good to be reminded to keep an eye out (both for car drivers and for bikers). Just a shame it happened in the first place... [:/]

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Yeah, obviously that is what they teach you in class. It still takes time to make the turn. If you are on the edge of a cliff, on the outside of a turn, you can't make a tighter turn without your tires going off the edge. Thinking ahead is key, but you can't do that when in an emergency situation. Cars still turn instantly, regardless of the situation.

no one noticed the lady on the report that said "The only thing I could do for him was pray over him and ask god....."

WTF? Just who I want at MY accident scene when I am laying there bleeding.....

For what it's worth, the impact energy that moved the SUV so far was partially provided by the MC rider's head and body. I have a feeling that prayer may have been his only workable option at that point. I think that if the impact point had been a couple of feet closer to the front of the SUV, the driver of that vehicle wouldn't have left the scene.

Kevin K.

Cars still turn instantly

An understeering car sure isn't turning instantly. Just because the front tires are turned, does not mean they are gripping to the road surface. But carry on, an understeering car has nothing to do with this accident.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Looks to me that aggresive braking and going right could have saved the day but truth is we don't have a clue to the skill of this rider.

Years of racing dirt bikes has helped me many times on a street bike but sometime your just out of luck...one glance the wrong way the 1/2 can be all it takes
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

one glance the wrong way the 1/2 can be all it takes

With a rough estimation of 60mph for the motorcycle's speed, that would be 88fps. So the bike would travel 44ft in 1/2 a second.

44ft is a long way. It can mean the difference between stopping in time and getting a memorial thread...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."