70sdiver

reserve max weight

Got a question on reserve size im about 291 right now out the door.I have a raven IV reserve that is listed as 300 pounds max wt.I've made about 6 jumps on a raven iv but never had a terminal opening,this was while i was a student.The tso c-23d all show 254 pounds max weight.I had no problem landing the canopy at this weight just wondering if im at risk of blowing up the reserve if i have to open it at terminal.Would a raven max or other canopy be safer I see smart has a 250 out they say max is at 300.lbs my raven is 288.Also main canopy is a falcon 300 in a javelin j-7 with cypress and rsl.thanks

Any time you over load your reserve (or main for that matter) you risk the possibility of "blowing" it up, not to mention your rigger risks his ticket if he knows you are outside the limitations of the manufacturer. If your reserve is listed as max 288 and you are 291 out the door, then while you will not be hanging your reserve, so your hanging weight will drop a bit, it is hardly worth risking your life in the event that you put on a few pounds one week.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

actually its listed as 300 lbs max and its 288 sq. feet .Actually im dieting hard now and hoping to get off 20lbs that will put me at 240 ibs in clothes but my gear weighs about 31 pounds.Do they test the reserves at higher weights than the max recommended

If your reserve is listed as max 288 and you are 291 out the door, then while you will not be hanging your reserve, so your hanging weight will drop a bit...

You can't subtract the weight of your reserve when you're figuring if you're under the TSO weight limit for your equipment.

I know when we talk about "suspended weight" the picture in our minds is the weight below the risers. However, the TSO categories refer to "fully equipped" weight, which corresponds to what we call "exit weight."

Mark

It's not as simple as weight vs rating (although staying below the reserve's rated load is a VERY good idea.) If you do RW and use a floppy jumpsuit to stay with formations, that's going to be less load on the reserve if used at terminal (slower deployment = less stress.) If you have dacron lines on the reserve that will help reduce the peak stress it sees. If you freefly a lot, then the higher speeds may put your reserve at risk during an inadvertent deployment or AAD fire.

Note that reserves are tested at speeds and weights well in excess of their ratings. So if you stay within the rated speeds and weights, your odds of having a good reserve over your head if you ever need it are excellent.

There are different max weights for reserves.

1) The TSO'd max weight.

2) The manufacturer's recommended max weight.

3) The maximum weight the canopy was drop tested with.

Exceeding any of those can put you in a dangerious situation.

If someone exceeds the max TSO'd weight for their gear, the rigger that packed it can't get in trouble. The rigger packs it and certifys it for emergency use, how it is used is up to the user, not the rigger. There is nothing in Part 65 or 105 that says you have to be withint he TSO'd limits for your gear. It probably should be in there, but it isn't.

My advice is get a PD reserve. The open, fly and land better than any other reserve I have seen or jumped. They are also built very well. PD got it right a long time ago. Everyone else has been playing catch up with reserves.

Derek

The Raven IV was TSO'd under TSO-C23c not TSO-C23d. TSO-C23c tested to three categories.
Category A: 198 pounds/130 knots
Category B: 254 pounds/150 knots
Category B: 254 pounds/175 knots
These were the weights/speeds that the canopy was actually test to.

Under TSO-C23d there are 2 weight/speed figures. Maximum operating weight/speed and Test weight/speed. Test weight must not be less than 264 pounds and Test speed must not be less than 180 knots. (manufacture may go higher on both) Test weight is 1.2 times the Maximum operating weight/speed.

All the weights listed for a canopy are "all up" exit weight. If your "all up" weight is more than 254 pounds,(TSO-C23c) you are overloading your reserve.

Sparky

PS: All canopies under TSO-C23d do not list 254 as max. operating weight. Some list 220 pounds which is the minimum allowed.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

actually its listed as 300 lbs max and its 288 sq. feet .Actually im dieting hard now and hoping to get off 20lbs that will put me at 240 ibs in clothes but my gear weighs about 31 pounds.Do they test the reserves at higher weights than the max recommended

they always test reserves at 20% more than what the TSO is listed at. with that being said, you should not exceed the weight or speed limits.